Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2020 2:18:56 PM EDT
I have a Type 56 which has started to rust a bit in some small places, mainly on the magazine and underneath the piston tube. I tried using cold blue to touch those spots up as they were already pretty worn on bluing but that didn't really help any. Besides keeping it oiled, what else can I do to protect it from rust? I would like to be able to treat it as a beater gun and not baby it/worry about my skin oil causing damage.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you keep a dehumidifier in your safe?  I see you are in TX like me, even indoors the humidity can kill in an enclosed environment.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you keep a dehumidifier in your safe?  I see you are in TX like me, even indoors the humidity can kill in an enclosed environment.
View Quote

I do, but it rarely stays inside of the safe and is usually by the door as a backup yote gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I would try any of the rust stop products that turn the rust  black, then keep wiping it down with LPS-3, one of the best rust protestants around.
It's smelly, translucent brown spray, but it sure works well.
I keep a rag saturated with it in a zip lock bag.
Just make sure you have neutralized any cold blue product you have used.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Eezox is what you seek. I've used it for 35 years and it's the best rust preventative I've found, bar none.
Available on Amazon : Eezox on Amazon
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you really want to make the rifle much better at not rusting and don’t care about collector value the best way is to get it parkerized and then painted.

Second best would just parkerizing. Parkerizing requires oiling but holds oil much better than blued steel.

The cheapest option would just be to use a better rust preventative. I prefer BoeShield, which dries to a waxy film and is designed to protect parts from rusting.

AJ
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top