Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I was about to buy some for .28/round since I got back into AK's and acquired a slr-101s. I procrastinated and two days later this happens :(
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I was about to buy some for .28/round since I got back into AK's and acquired a slr-101s. I procrastinated and two days later this happens :(
View Quote

Haha right same boat

I knew it was going to happen in fact I thought it already did and the ammo we see now was through a loophole.

If I'd of known I probably shouldn't of gotten one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well if there's a will there's a weapon. India just started producing the ak-203 with a technical data package from Russia I also believe that there will be making their own 762x39 ammo on Russian machinery. If the Russians are smart, just move one of the factories from Russia or set up more machinery to India and produce it and import it under made in India and under a different shell company name.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
These latest sanctions on Russia pursuant to the CBW Act will take effect upon the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021, and they "WILL REMAIN IN PLACE FOR A MINIMUM OF 12 MONTHS".

The sanctions can only be lifted after a 12-month period if the Executive Branch determines and certifies to Congress that Russia has met several conditions described in the CBW Act, 22 U.S.C. 5605(c), including (1) providing reliable assurances that it will not use chemical weapons in violation of international law, (2) it is not making preparations to use chemical weapons in the future, (3) it is willing to allow international inspectors to verify those assurances, and (4) it is making restitution to Mr. Navalny.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
We all know this has nothing to do with the Russki who got poisoned.  That’s their cover, the little leftist rats.  

Hopefully Romania, Hungary or other ex-east bloc will step up.  If the machinery is still around that is.

In any event x39 is gonna cost more in the future ……
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect ALL ammo will jump as a result of this. I received an email that said approx. 40% of all ammo was from Russia. If that's true, i don't see how this gradual decrease in cost that has been occurring, isn't completely reversed. I guess we will see over the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a sad day I think we all knew was coming with this administration.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This was posted on another site.

Wolf is based in California and is an importer. Their ammo is made in Europe not Russia anymore. Wolf now uses new European suppliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Ammunition

http://www.wolfammo.com/

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/breaking-news-biden-administration-bans-russian-ammo/424569?fbclid=IwAR2YngYcgja8-SvKPMZhXRkFdJMn79fo5phPfPgEcyPbUYn2AbMvAff_Hfs
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Ammo is getting expensive, if you can find it.  Does this mean we are done with $2,500 Arsenal AKs and $1,700 WASRs???
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
where is barnaul from? been seeing it more
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ammo is getting expensive, if you can find it.  Does this mean we are done with $2,500 Arsenal AKs and $1,700 WASRs???
View Quote

It usually works the other way

I'll bet AKs go up another 20-30%

Ammo will still be available, it will just be more expensive.

You need a 5k rifle to fire your $1 ruskie boooooletz

People with deep pockets drive the market, not bargain shoppers

Go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
where is barnaul from? been seeing it more
View Quote

Barnaul is a Russian Plant. Apparently they produce Bear, Barnaul and some Monarch branded ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This was posted on another site.

Wolf is based in California and is an importer. Their ammo is made in Europe not Russia anymore. Wolf now uses new European suppliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Ammunition

http://www.wolfammo.com/

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/breaking-news-biden-administration-bans-russian-ammo/424569?fbclid=IwAR2YngYcgja8-SvKPMZhXRkFdJMn79fo5phPfPgEcyPbUYn2AbMvAff_Hfs
View Quote

I'm sure you could find the answer somewhere, but it think their Wolf Performance poly ammo is made in Ukraine. Their polyformance and military classic lines made in Russia. This may not go across all calibers, but it's what i'm seeing for the main rifle calibers besides 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the best bet would be for PMC to start cranking it out.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm sure you could find the answer somewhere, but it think their Wolf Performance poly ammo is made in Ukraine. Their polyformance and military classic lines made in Russia. This may not go across all calibers, but it's what i'm seeing for the main rifle calibers besides 5.56.
View Quote

There hasn't been any ammunition made in Ukraine for several years. Their factory was looted of equipment during the fighting with Russia. You are probably thinking of Ulyanovsk in Russia.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#17]
There are a lot of manufacturers overseas that can fill the void. The questions are: Will they? Do they have the capacity? Can they get the raw materials? Will the cost be attractive enough for an importer to take the plunge? How quickly will Americans embrace a new and unproven foreign brand that is priced similar to domestic brands?
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Hopefully this company will take up the slack.
Red Army Standard ammo is made in various countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Poland. So maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Standard_Ammunition
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Seriously.
View Quote

Right I agree
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are a lot of manufacturers overseas that can fill the void. The questions are: Will they? Do they have the capacity? Can they get the raw materials? Will the cost be attractive enough for an importer to take the plunge? How quickly will Americans embrace a new and unproven foreign brand that is priced similar to domestic brands?
View Quote

This is insightful.  Additionally, there is nothing to stop the current administration from banning ALL imported ammo.  The poisoned Russki dissident was just an excuse.

Most here are probably too young to remember what J. Karter did to us in the ‘70s.  Hope I’m wrong, and his handlers lose gropin’ Joe’s dementia medicine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Saw this the other day that Atlantic Firearms posted this on the Russian ammo ban.

"They have NOT banned all Ammo and there is a ton of already approved form 6s out there so ammo will continue to flow into the US from Russia until those are exhausted . Similar to the Vepr ban we saw Veprs continue to flow into the US for 2 more years . During that time production will move to other non banned countrys . There is already ammo sitting in Poland , Romania , Serbia etc just waiting to hop a ship over to the US. This being said you can expect to see higher prices on ammo going forward . The SKY is not falling" .....

AtlanticFirearms.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Got this from Sam at SGammo today. Long read but it's not pretty

https://www.sgammo.com/bulk-ammo-stock-free-shipping-and-my-russian-ammo-sanction-opinion
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is insightful.  Additionally, there is nothing to stop the current administration from banning ALL imported ammo.  The poisoned Russki dissident was just an excuse.

Most here are probably too young to remember what J. Karter did to us in the ‘70s.  Hope I’m wrong, and his handlers lose gropin’ Joe’s dementia medicine.
View Quote

What did peanutbrain...I mean Carter do to us?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s been 40 years but IIRC he prevented milsurp from being imported.  I remember a bunch of Inglis BHPs coming in, but only LEOs could buy them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Rob Ski will never be doing a 5K test again. The end of an era...

Russian Ammo Ban - 7 Days Later
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hopefully this company will take up the slack.
Red Army Standard ammo is made in various countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Poland. So maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Standard_Ammunition
View Quote

The ukranian factory was destroyed in the war.

None of the other nations have the ability to crank out 800 million rounds a year just for one market like the USA.

None of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Brandon Herrera adds his input. Still not good.

The TRUTH About the Russian Ammo Ban
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

They reason they have not been filling the void for the past 20 years is because they are simply unable to compete with Russian ammo on price.  They never bothered because they knew they could not ship and sell ammo at 25cpr retail.

Now that Russia is gone, sure, they may see a market. However, that market is only because with American's unable to get 25cpr retail, we maybe willing to pay 100-120cpr instead.

Domestic brands can't keep 9mm and 5.56 on the shelf, so clearly they are are not going to waste time trying to expand to produce x39. If they have the capital and desire, they'd more likely expand to build more NATO ammunition. Furthermore, even if they did run x39, I'd expect it's prices to be higher then 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Another factor is international demand. Lots of 7.62x39mm used in the various hotspots around the Mideast in the past 20 years. I have seen images of pretty recent dates on x39 from Russia and some of the former WP countries like Bulgaria and Romania. The US is not the only market for small arms ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Since the announcement, there was an immediate "shortage" of 5.45x39, followed by more and more sales points showing up on search engines, albeit at higher prices but progressively declining prices.   Since the announcement of the policy, we've had the catastrophe in Afghan and a cascade of other failures, the wheels are quickly falling off of the Uncle Joe Show.  

I realize the sales are probably coming out of existing stockpiles.  However regardless of sources, I'll venture out on a limb and bet on Russia and others to continue to find ways to sell us ammo, including 5.45x39, as the Democrats and their clown car begins to crash & burn on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seriously.
View Quote

PMC, IMI, Sellier & Bellot, etc etc
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Saw this and went to other sites and posted this. Should make us some what positive about the Ammo future.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Wolf, Barnaul, and Red Army Standard 7.62x39 were all plentiful at my local Dunham's Sports today, but they're priced at $12.99 - $13.99 / 20. "On sale" for $2 off...

They had more than I've seen, and a wider variety of brands, than they've had in over a year. Could be a rush of shipments to bring in as much as possible before it's cut off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wolf, Barnaul, and Red Army Standard 7.62x39 were all plentiful at my local Dunham's Sports today, but they're priced at $12.99 - $13.99 / 20. "On sale" for $2 off...

They had more than I've seen, and a wider variety of brands, than they've had in over a year. Could be a rush of shipments to bring in as much as possible before it's cut off.
View Quote

Yeah I been seeing a lot lately
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped by Dunham's again today, and the supply of Russian AK ammo basically looked like it hadn't been touched all week. I think the panic has subsided a bit, and people don't want to pay 60-70 cpr for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I stopped by Dunham's again today, and the supply of Russian AK ammo basically looked like it hadn't been touched all week. I think the panic has subsided a bit, and people don't want to pay 60-70 cpr for it.
View Quote

I see 9.99 in the big stores but the small shops it's been almost $1 per round online it's 40 cpr.

Lots of ammo available at least right now. I max out at .50 myself but even then it's not really worth stacking over other stuff I'd want.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#38]
So here we are in December '21, and looks like Polish ammo company Mesko is supplying 9mm Makarov to our market, as is Norma through a distributor called Norma Shooting.com.    Meanwhile 5.45x39 seems to be plentifully available still, albeit at higher prices.   Sky hasn't fallen yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So here we are in December '21, and looks like Polish ammo company Mesko is supplying 9mm Makarov to our market, as is Norma through a distributor called Norma Shooting.com.    Meanwhile 5.45x39 seems to be plentifully available still, albeit at higher prices.   Sky hasn't fallen yet.
View Quote

The question is, has demand for certain calibers fallen since many might have sold off their AK?

I honestly am still willing to get an IWI or Palmetto 5.45 gun, but need to wait for the "deal" to come around.

Well see this is basically a cat and mouse game. Local prices at my range have forced me to remain dependent upon on online sales. If I had to shoot local ammo only. I would shoot maybe 1 box or 2 a month as the cost would be like turning my AK into a bolt action.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The question is, has demand for certain calibers fallen since many might have sold off their AK?

I honestly am still willing to get an IWI or Palmetto 5.45 gun, but need to wait for the "deal" to come around.

Well see this is basically a cat and mouse game. Local prices at my range have forced me to remain dependent upon on online sales. If I had to shoot local ammo only. I would shoot maybe 1 box or 2 a month as the cost would be like turning my AK into a bolt action.
View Quote

Some of the local guys won't adjust after the panic prices. I remember seeing stuff sitting for years at 2012 prices and finally sell the next panic.

It's still 19.99 for a box of 20 in some places local and 7.99 online and creeping down.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I just ordered a case of wolf military classic for more than i ever wanted to pay but it seems to have leveled off for a bit, and with no end in sight I figured better now than never.

$380 shipped to my door including tax.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just ordered a case of wolf military classic for more than i ever wanted to pay but it seems to have leveled off for a bit, and with no end in sight I figured better now than never.

View Quote

You are in NY?  I think you should consider that price a blessing and move on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such an amazing wonderful blessing it is.  

So much so I ordered more.  
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top