Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2018 10:33:03 PM EDT
Recently upon my travels, I found a pristine MAK for quite the little deal. I've been in the market to replace my SGL that I sold during one of the panics 4 or 5 years ago. The question is, are MAK's in this condition rare or collectible that I should trade or sell it for a less collectible model or should I just get a Ironwood set and run it like a raped ape?

I'm not one for keeping things unfired, but I understand it may be a faux pas to sodden an unfired rifle.

Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My Cabela's never gets neat stuff like that
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeebus. The thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would sell it and buy a vector or arsenal ak before I would spend more money unfucking it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My Mak 90 looked just like that when I bought it in 1990 something or other. After the ban sunsetted I gradually modified it into it current config. It has a poly two-piece forend, the MagPul Zhukov stock, the ALG AK trigger with shepherd crook fcg retainer, threaded for A2 flash hider, and an Ultimak rail with Primary Arms MD-06 red dot.

It is NOT A CLONE. It is just a totally reliable blaster, hd, shtf gun that I trust my life with. I can hit anything I need to hit within 200 yards or so. Completely meets my needs for its purposes, as do many other guns I had before the boating accident.

Ironwood furniture would be a nice touch for an upscale rifle. Black poly standard configured furniture looks really nice also. Look at some pics online and see what appeals to you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Convert it and run it!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Sell and purchase 3 PSA AKs. <removed, this is not GD>dryflash3
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#8]

This is a Mak underfolder I converted this weekend. Still have to put a bakelite upper on it, a Chinese barrel nut, and instal the sight post, fsb retaining pins, and detent, but it’s almost finished. I’d have a converted Mak over 3 PSA’s any day. But I wouldn’t have a PSA either way. I’d also forfeit the extra $300 that it would bring being NIB over a used one just to be the one to break it in. Again, convert it and shoot it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not aware of any firearms that were ever built with the intention they would sit in a bag in a box and never be fired.

In fact I do believe every firearm ever made on the entire planet was always intended to be fired.

Jay Leno has a McLaren F1 which is likely worth 15-20 million dollars.  He drives that thing all the time.

A man should not acquire toys and then forbid himself to actually play with them from time to time.  Cars, guns, hookers.....don't put 'em on a pedestal.  

Of course, if you only want to own it so you can take artsy photos of it and rub it with an oily diaper (Ferris Bueller reference only, not insinuating you actually WOULD do that) there's an AK Forum on the Net where that's pretty well the norm.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would sell it and buy a vector or arsenal ak before I would spend more money unfucking it.
View Quote
Truest comment read on ARF today.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Just shoot it OP and make it yours. I dont think we are anywhere near having to consider MAKs an endangered species. Even if they are in unfired condition.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Millions of 'em were sold during the 90s.  They're nowhere near "rare".
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Poly Spiker and a GSAD underdolder, both were BNIB unfired when I got them. I shoot the shit out of them. I have 2 unbanned MAK’s I shoot just as much. I have guns because I enjoy shooting them as much as collecting. I collect them so I can shoot them, not to possibly sell in the future.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing with "ban features" will ever really be that collectable.  Used and debanned its worth more than nib with stupid thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Poly Spiker and a GSAD underdolder, both were BNIB unfired when I got them. I shoot the shit out of them. I have 2 unbanned MAK’s I shoot just as much. I have guns because I enjoy shooting them as much as collecting. I collect them so I can shoot them, not to possibly sell in the future.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253119/FE495FF4-BF1D-4C0B-B603-52E9843649A6_jpeg-728660.JPG
View Quote
Looks like the Spiker on the right is the debanned Mak? Looks great! For Chinese variants, I'm up to one Polytech Spiker that I got basically nib and shoot the shit out of, and the Mak underfolder I just debanned (picture above) and will be shooting often. Already looking for another Mak to deban.haha If everyone knew how easy it was, there wouldn't be so many Mak's that are still in the banned configuration on the market, and for so cheap. Granted, even the US Spiker assembly is expensive as hell. If you just want a bayo lug though, it's cheap as hell to deban.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Millions of 'em were sold during the 90s.  They're nowhere near "rare".
View Quote
I remember every gun shop near me having stacks and stacks of those exact styrofoam containers.  $349 or $399, can't remember.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
The MAK 90 is not a collectible AK. But its probably better than most AK's made today. Get an Ironwoods pistol grip, & butt stock, & shoot the snot out of it.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The MAK 90 is not a collectible AK. But its probably better than most AK's made today. Get an Ironwoods pistol grip, & butt stock, & shoot the snot out of it.  GARY
View Quote
It can be collectible depending on what it is. There were so many variations, especially during the implementation of the ban. My underfolder for instance. It somehow made it past customs with the threads intact and the underfolder installed. There are very few that did, and it wasn't done after the fact. Rivets are correct and untouched, and the rear plate is original and untouched. It also has the /66\ on the front trunnion and the cleaning rod hole through the handguard retainer and handguard itself. Now, it's no preban, even though technically it is without the 56s stamped on it, but it's still worth quite a bit, especially now that I've debanned it. It's also the same quality of my Polytech Spiker. I own a Polytech Spiker, the mentioned Mak90, an SGL, SAM7sf, Verp12, and a M70ab2, and my Chicom AK's are by far the highest quality from what I can tell.

I think debanned Mak 90's and Mak 90's in general are going to start going up quite a bit in price. Everything else is. It's surprising we haven't already saw a huge increase with the Mak's. Seems as soon as someone mentions sanctions, any AK affected goes up $1,000+.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Straight cut? Leave it alone.

Angle cut? Nobody cares.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Cabela's never gets neat stuff like that
View Quote
The one near me sells stuff at a percentage of whatever they paid for them. I get good buys all the time.

Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Recently upon my travels, I found a pristine MAK for quite the little deal. I've been in the market to replace my SGL that I sold during one of the panics 4 or 5 years ago. The question is, are MAK's in this condition rare or collectible that I should trade or sell it for a less collectible model or should I just get a Ironwood set and run it like a raped ape?

I'm not one for keeping things unfired, but I understand it may be a faux pas to sodden an unfired rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/rNRVc02.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UDLF6bQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CVepREl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1dmzJyG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/b77u6Ea.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IF6ec1O.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/luqCf2A.jpg
View Quote
OP,
It's a neutered MAK90...nothing special.

Here is my type2 that is worth roughly 20 times what that MAK90 cost and I shoot the shit out of it.  I say that because I just watch a completely non-matching gun go for just about that.   But it only cost me about $500.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Toss a rear stock (Chinese due to the 1.5mm thick receiver),add a fat Polytech wood pistol grip,a longer standard pistol grip bolt, and run the dog shit out of it like it is.

Mak90's are a dime a dozen and wont really be a collectable.

$400 is a steal,go sling some steel cased ammo and enjoy
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The one near me sells stuff at a percentage of whatever they paid for them. I get good buys all the time.

https://i.imgur.com/BjNZlx2.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit! That’s an easy 100% profit! I’m surprised someone working there didn’t know that, and buy it themselves. Is it straight or slant cut?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/4VboZWVl.jpg

This is a Mak underfolder I converted this weekend. Still have to put a bakelite upper on it, a Chinese barrel nut, and instal the sight post, fsb retaining pins, and detent, but it’s almost finished. I’d have a converted Mak over 3 PSA’s any day. But I wouldn’t have a PSA either way. I’d also forfeit the extra $300 that it would bring being NIB over a used one just to be the one to break it in. Again, convert it and shoot it!
View Quote
That is a nice looking rifle. Is the barrel a heavier version then other AK-style weapons? It looks thicker.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is a nice looking rifle. Is the barrel a heavier version then other AK-style weapons? It looks thicker.
View Quote
Yes the barrels on Chinese AK's is larger diameter.  In fact you can use milled AK47 Type 3 barrel parts on them to "de-ban".
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Straight cut? Leave it alone.

Angle cut? Nobody cares.
View Quote
The advantage of a straight cut is that you can easily get rid of the atrocious thumbhole stock, if youre leaving the abomination attached, why would it matter
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Being that it is unfired and new in box, I would not modify that rifle. If it just just another Mak90 used and without original packaging thats a different story. Mak90s might not "rare" but seeing them NIB for that price is a rare sight. I personally would just keep it as is or sell it to a collector.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#28]
What's special about it is its a 100% AK-factory made rifle from a country that used AKs in its military. This is something that we took for granted at one time but is no longer available under the current laws. I would probably put a stock and pistol grip on it but make NO permanent changes, and keep the original stuff. Its like someone in China being able to buy a semi-auto Colt AR15, then their laws change and all imported guns must have a Chinese barrel and other parts. Given a choice, you would want the factory-made Colt over some cobbled-together clone. Same with the AKs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The advantage of a straight cut is that you can easily get rid of the atrocious thumbhole stock, if youre leaving the abomination attached, why would it matter
View Quote
Straight cut is more desirable, therefore OP can probably sell it for a profit.

Nobody cares about an angle cut.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I modified (chopped and pinned the barrel and what not too) on a well used transitional mak I Found on the used rack of a big box store.

If I had one like yours with everything including the original box I would keep it original, except swapping the thumbhole for a clean type 56 wood stock and fat chinese grip to match.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks man! It is. That’s one of the many reasons I prefer a Chinese AK. The barrel OD on a Mak is .590 up until the back of the front sight block. It then steps up to .612 until right before the gas block where it steps up again to .624, and steps up two more times after that. I used a Russian Type 2 gas block. I shaved the cleaning rod retainer/ring down to mimic the “ears” that the Chinese Spiker gas block has. My Mak had the .590 OD barrel all the way back until the gas block because it was a transitional Mak and started it’s life out as a Type 56S-1. They didn’t have the .612 step.

Sorry to hijack the thread. After doing my first conversion and realizing how easy it is, I just feel like more people could and should be doing it. You can end up with a much better rifle than most, if not all, current offerings.

I think the OP’s Mak is a slant cut due to the absence of the Norinco stamp on the side of the receiver above the trigger (I just noticed that). I could be wrong though. If it is, I’d either flip it for a profit or keep it for a later sell. You can convert a slant cut, but straight cuts are more desirable as mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
MAK-90s are one of the better made AKs that came into the US, as sad as that is.

Because they are so well-made for an AK, they shoot better, have sights that can actually be zeroed, and will fit a lot of mags.

The bolt carrier and bolt on Norincos are in their own class compared to Warsaw Pact AKs.

There are AKs that should be way more valuable, but because of their lack of quality, their value hasn't increased like MAK-90s have.

MAK-90s are selling for $1200-$1800 now, and if you have all the original box and paperwork, mags, oil bottle, cleaning kit, that only helps with value.

ETA:  If you are going to modify any part of a MAK-90 permanently, I think an underfolder spike bayonet Type 56 with correct furniture is the best way to have both a shootable rifle, as well as one that will only increase in value because that is the configuration they are supposed to be in.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ordered a full Ironwood set earlier in the week. It shipped out today. I'm assuming all the hardware on the handguard will transfer over. Do I need a different grip screw or anything for the stock that doesn't come with them?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
MAK-90s are one of the better made AKs that came into the US, as sad as that is.

Because they are so well-made for an AK, they shoot better, have sights that can actually be zeroed, and will fit a lot of mags.

The bolt carrier and bolt on Norincos are in their own class compared to Warsaw Pact AKs.

There are AKs that should be way more valuable, but because of their lack of quality, their value hasn't increased like MAK-90s have.

MAK-90s are selling for $1200-$1800 now, and if you have all the original box and paperwork, mags, oil bottle, cleaning kit, that only helps with value.

ETA:  If you are going to modify any part of a MAK-90 permanently, I think an underfolder spike bayonet Type 56 with correct furniture is the best way to have both a shootable rifle, as well as one that will only increase in value because that is the configuration they are supposed to be in.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Norinco_type_56.jpg
View Quote
I concur for the most part but would Love to have a MAK or two like that sitting around.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Sell it and get something you won't feel bad about beating and hacking on. That's how I do it. I had a lot of really nice Chicoms… and sold them. Best moves I ever made.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought one still in the box with everything simply because it was $300. Unfortunately my eyes and the rear sight don't work well together so there it sits to this day. actually does seem to be quite well put together though. I think it's a straight cut.

Box is in so so shape.

I drag it out on occasion and wonder if I just need to dump it along with my tinned ammo that was no longer allowed to be imported. [Yugo?]

I will likely never shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I would unban it and shoot it. I did that with mine. I paid $229 new back in 91 and still have it and shoot it. I was able to get Chinese parts to unban it with.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would unban it and shoot it. I did that with mine. I paid $229 new back in 91 and still have it and shoot it. I was able to get Chinese parts to unban it with.
View Quote
What's all involved in the deban?

I've got the stock set switched out to an ironwood now.

New sight base I know, but what about the gas block?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Polytech

They have the spiker FSB.

Looks like the only way to get a gas block and regular FSB is to buy a barrel assembly.

If you find them elsewhere you punch out the pins and press off the parts and reverse for installation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I have 3 MAK's. 2 milled, & 1 stamped. The stamped gun with a square back receiver, I was able to find an original Chinese butt stock, & pistol grip to match the front wood. On one of the milled guns, I ordered an Ironwods butt stock to match the front wood, & found an original pistol grip. On the second milled gun, I left it bone stock. I left the muzzles, gas blocks, & front sites untouched, as there are many photos of Chinese military AK's in the hands of Chinese soldiers that do not have threaded muzzles, or bayo lugs. It seems these features were added to guns the Chinese exported to other countries. So why waste $ threading a barrel, changing a gas block, & front site.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ordered a full Ironwood set earlier in the week. It shipped out today. I'm assuming all the hardware on the handguard will transfer over. Do I need a different grip screw or anything for the stock that doesn't come with them?
View Quote
You might need a shorter grip screw, the one on the thumbhole stock is longer than normal.

If it is a straight cut receiver, then the Ironwood stock will mate up fine - you may have to fit it a bit though.

I do recommend not changing the trigger, Chinese stock triggers are usually very nice with no slap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have 3 MAK's. 2 milled, & 1 stamped. The stamped gun with a square back receiver, I was able to find an original Chinese butt stock, & pistol grip to match the front wood. On one of the milled guns, I ordered an Ironwods butt stock to match the front wood, & found an original pistol grip. On the second milled gun, I left it bone stock. I left the muzzles, gas blocks, & front sites untouched, as there are many photos of Chinese military AK's in the hands of Chinese soldiers that do not have threaded muzzles, or bayo lugs. It seems these features were added to guns the Chinese exported to other countries. So why waste $ threading a barrel, changing a gas block, & front site.  GARY
View Quote
I knew that was the case with muzzle, but I didn't know that was the case with the other features. Good to know
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I knew that was the case with muzzle, but I didn't know that was the case with the other features. Good to know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure it is. N4KVE, do you have pics of military Chinese AK's without bayonet lugs?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not sure it is. N4KVE, do you have pics of military Chinese AK's without bayonet lugs?
View Quote
Not today, but I've seen plenty over the years. GARY
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not today, but I've seen plenty over the years. GARY
View Quote
I can't find a single example in my entire Chinese pic collection or in any of my printed literature. If you find one, I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't see the lug here unless my eyes are failing me. Sucks to get old. LOL. GARY

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Syrian_soldier_aims_an_AK-47.JPEG
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't see the lug here unless my eyes are failing me. Sucks to get old. LOL. GARY

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Syrian_soldier_aims_an_AK-47.JPEG
View Quote
looks like a type 1 with the ears on the bottom of the front site. Works to hold bayo and the cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#48]
See, I was looking for the common bayo lug under the gas block. But notice how the muzzle is not threaded, & no spring loaded flash hider pin, just like on the MAK. I just change the butt stock, pistol grip, & leave the rest alone.  GARY
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top