Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 6:09:06 PM EDT
I hace a Romanian WASR-10 .  I looked the gun over well when I bought it a few years ago and it appears to be a good gun, however I'm having some trouble.

I bought a case of the WPA military classic steel cased ammo and the gun has never made it through even a half of a magazine without failing to fire.  I will look at and pick up the round that failed to fire and it appears the hammer strike might be a little soft.  When put back in the gun the round always fires on the second try.
I don't know if this is a common problem, but it sure is annoying.  
I bought the AK because it's supposed to be so rugged and reliable. I have inspected my firing pin and all looks well.
I've tried different magazines, however it's not really a failure to feed problem.
I'm just not sure what I should do.
I'm not an expert on guns, although I do love collecting and shooting them I have little experience fixing them.

Any advice or help is truly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Ensure that the hammer spring is properly installed. If it is, try replacing the hammer spring. I would purchase a new made spring from ALG (either the traditional double strand style or their single strand).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The spring appears to be installed correctly and strong.  The hammer is slamming forward with full force it would seem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KingRichard:
The spring appears to be installed correctly and strong.  The hammer is slamming forward with full force it would seem.
View Quote
Have you tried other ammo?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
As above states, replace hammer spring. maybe even the fire pin. G2g
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you buy a new rifle or a used one? Have you taken the bolt out and disassembled/cleaned it? Its a floating firing pin so it should freely move when you tilt the bolt. If you push the back end in until it stops, it should be slightly inside the bolt. The tip then should be at its maximum extension and there is a spec for this but its difficult to measure. Let's just say a little more than the rounded tip should protrude. Floating firing pins depend on inertia to fire the primer which is why the tail of the pin goes inside the bolt - its to protect it from being driven into the primer by the hammer, which could pierce the primer. It takes a strong hammer hit on the bolt tail even with a freely-moving firing pin. If yours is dragging, that could be your problem. You'll have to take the bolt apart and check the FP for straightness and dirt in the firing pin bore.
They're probably right about replacing the hammer spring but I would also want to check the headspace on it if that doesn't work. You would have to get a gunsmith to check it. Normally on a new rifle with no problems you don't have to check it but on a used one with problems it might be recommended.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top