Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2021 5:27:53 PM EDT
I don’t know a lot about aks, and this is pretty dinged up, but is this worth the asking price?

https://i.imgur.com/p3GLhsN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IhHh7zn.jpg
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don’t know a lot about aks, and this is pretty dinged up, but is this worth the asking price?

https://i.imgur.com/IhHh7zn.jpg
View Quote

It's not that dinged up. The finish kinda sucks/is thin but its good enough imo. (Mine looks like that just from handling)

Given the fact its over 50 years old, the condition looks great.

$1300 is nuts for a WASR though. But this is the way things are now.

Majority of the wear is just from the gas tube lever/safety doing what it is supposed to.

However newer WASR/RH10 are going for about $1000 right now with shitty furniture.

If you add a metal upper handguard ($40), and a quality folding stock (Bonesteel $150) along with a quality lower handguard ($30) You are running pretty close to the cost of the above rifle.

If the magazine was also made in 1970 with the rifle it could be worth something as well.

See if you could get $1200, but maybe grab it for $1300. AK prices are retarded right now.

One thing to be weary of (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Weren't WASRs made in the 60/70s kinda shit? Current production should be better yes?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not worth it to me. I’d be looking at a Zastava ZPAP for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
$1300 for a WASR?
My first WASR I bought back in 2005 was $279.

Man things have gotten ridiculous. Must mean that my Bulgarian RPK-74 is probably worth $10k now then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not that dinged up. The finish kinda sucks/is thin but its good enough imo. (Mine looks like that just from handling)

Given the fact its over 50 years old, the condition looks great.

$1300 is nuts for a WASR though. But this is the way things are now.

Majority of the wear is just from the gas tube lever/safety doing what it is supposed to.

However newer WASR/RH10 are going for about $1000 right now with shitty furniture.

If you add a metal upper handguard ($40), and a quality folding stock (Bonesteel $150) along with a quality lower handguard ($30) You are running pretty close to the cost of the above rifle.

If the magazine was also made in 1970 with the rifle it could be worth something as well.

See if you could get $1200, but maybe grab it for $1300. AK prices are retarded right now.

One thing to be weary of (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Weren't WASRs made in the 60/70s kinda shit? Current production should be better yes?
View Quote

the entire rifle wasn't made in 1970. It's a WASR 10/63 model which is a rebuilt demilled Pm Md.63 - actually in this case the UF variant was a Pm Md. 65 but they were still sold as 10/63 models.

These WASRs have new receiver, barrel (after 2005 MG barrel ban) - 922r parts usually include a US gas piston, US pistol grip and US made FCG.

it's the closest you will get to a complete surplus Romanian AKM built on Soviet supplied tooling. yet for years WASRs were considered bottom of the barrel AKs.

the "dinged up" finish is just the typical look of a parked AK like a Romanian. giving it a good wipe with a CLP dabbed rag will usually clean the rifle up real well, the parkerizing actually "soaks up" the oil more than you would expect

if you have never shot a UF rifle it's not for everyone. I don't care for the angled UF stock on the Romanians and prefer the straight UF stock such as on a Yugo

all said and done I would not pay that price for it unless you must have it and think Biden is going to make such things disappear
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

all said and done I would not pay that price for it unless you must have it and think Biden is going to make such things disappear
View Quote

That’s what I was thinking.  Unless you guys thought this was some kind of rare C&R, I was going to leave it alone.  I was there feeling up a 300 Mini, but I got excited when I saw an AK that wasn’t a Century.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s what I was thinking.  Unless you guys thought this was some kind of rare C&R, I was going to leave it alone.  I was there feeling up a 300 Mini, but I got excited when I saw an AK that wasn’t a Century.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 2nd glance.

It had CAI Imports marked on it btw. I believe that is Century Arms Imports.

If its an older gun before CNC Machines were used to open up the magwell, Id run
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$1300 for a WASR?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
$1300 for a WASR?

$279, yes, but we all know those days are long gone and won't return. $10 more is what I paid for my Romanian AIMS-74 and another $19 got me a Maadi back in the day.

Quoted:

Man things have gotten ridiculous. Must mean that my Bulgarian RPK-74 is probably worth $10k now then.

The way things are going, my AKs may fund my retirement home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

No such C&R for a 7.62 Romanian AK. To the best of my knowledge, there are only five AKs on the entire C&R list, and all are specific serial numbers. The only Romanian is in 5.45.

The only rare AKs are the true prebans and you would have to multiply what that WASR is worth a few times to buy one.

I wouldn't dismiss Century AKs so quickly. There are a few Century AKs that are absolutely incredible because it depends on how much work was done to them and by whom. If they did the assembly in-house, then yes, quality is a tossup. However, if they contracted out the assembly, like they did with the Yugo kits, then the end product could be an exceptional weapon. As for the WASRs, they were built entirely in Romania, with Century acting as the importer and adding 922r compliant parts. The Egyptian AKs built by Century with Chinese parts are absolute garbage though.

I have three Century AKs, an AMD-65, a Yugo underfolder, and a Yugo fixed stock. Both Yugos are impressively assembled and finished, but they were subcontracted by Century. The AMD was a Century-built gun and subpar, printing several feet to the right at 50 yards. It turned out the crown was not cut perpendicular to the bore when Century installed a new barrel. I'm not sure of the physics of how that affected the flightpath, but the muzzle brake was also slanted just a hair. Surprising the bullet never struck it, but it was an easy fix to cut off an inch, recrown and rethread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

These WASRs have new receiver, barrel (after 2005 MG barrel ban) - 922r parts usually include a US gas piston, US pistol grip and US made FCG.

View Quote

You sure about that? It was my understanding that the individual barrels as in kits, for example, could no longer be imported, except as repair parts. However, barrels in fully assembled weapons were still ok. Aren't the current Polis and Yugos imported with their original barrels?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
If the barrel was ever on a machine gun, it can not be imported. But if the barrel is brand new, & never installed on a machine gun, it can be imported. Makes it much safer, you know. GARY.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, of course then. That makes sense...two identical barrels, one installed on an MG, one on a semi-auto. It stands to reason the one that served on an MG is leaps and bounds more dangerous than one on a semi auto. .
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, of course then. That makes sense...two identical barrels, one installed on an MG, one on a semi-auto. It stands to reason the one that served on an MG is leaps and bounds more dangerous than one on a semi auto. .
View Quote

it doesn't have to make sense it just has to hurt gun owners, and was done by a republican no less. the barrel ban killed off a lot of the early kit building scene.

that being said I doubt there is any real way you could discern a new vs old Romanian barrel if the old one was not shot out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I would not pay that much for a wasr. if you can afford it I would get a sam7sf because the price of it makes more sense and its a way better rifle. I have had good luck going to small pawn shops and finding decent deals on ak's
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Simply don't buy. Don't be a sucker. You can always find a deal. If not at this store, it's somewhere else. If not today, it'll be some other day.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top