Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2023 10:09:44 PM EDT
Are these rifles still terrible? I know Robski did a video a few years ago. I’m about to do a trade that I have $350 in for a standard RAK47.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
steer clear of early cast trunnion models
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
steer clear of early cast trunnion models
View Quote

Anyway you can tell the difference?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyway you can tell the difference?
View Quote

Are you looking at one in person? Castings usually have a visible hemispheric seam line.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah gonna meet the guy locally. I’ll give it a look over.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a new forged one a couple of months ago.  Was skeptical of it but it has shown to be reliable and accurate.  No frills at all but it works and seems to get a little better each time I use it.  I liked the handguards (look just like Polish WBP ones) but the grip and stock needed changing to something a little better….they were serviceable but I did not like them.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone, I’ll have pics of it if the deal goes right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoyed my Riley. Good folks too
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked it up. Hope I did ok. He gave me the original stock plus this plum magpul one.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one of the Riley AKs Atlantic was selling a few years ago, built on a Childers receiver with a FB Radom barrel and WBP parts kit with forged trunion. Very nicely built AK, although the black oxide finish they used is kinda weak.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Changed a few things. The magwell is very tight on surplus mags. (Have to slap them in) circle 10 mags don’t fit, bakes are very tight as well, commercial Bulgarian mags and other cheap poly mags fit nicely. Kinda bummed about surplus mags not fitting well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ran about 100 rounds of mixed wolf and Tula ammo today through it. Very over gassed but worked fine. Definitely need the puss pad for this rifle. I think I’m gonna paint it and keep it as a beater.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Any complaints about the 5.45 guns - they seem to be very available in desirable folder configs for relatively decent price if in fact good quality?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any complaints about the 5.45 guns - they seem to be very available in desirable folder configs for relatively decent price if in fact good quality?
View Quote

Only good stuff like chrome bores etc…. My experience is only with the 7.62 gun and mine is fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Changed a few things. The magwell is very tight on surplus mags. (Have to slap them in) circle 10 mags don’t fit, bakes are very tight as well, commercial Bulgarian mags and other cheap poly mags fit nicely. Kinda bummed about surplus mags not fitting well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46983/CB90C2E2-BD8F-4D17-B3BA-D21A42B5B3EC_jpe-2738361.JPG
View Quote

If the tightness is due to the magazine release. You can give it a few passes with a file. If it's the magwell I'd take some calipers and give it a stoning/filing and just hit it with some cold blue. I mean hell it's a Riley, make it work for you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Recently got a the “AK master” mount off EE for this thing. Can’t get it to lock. Gets almost to the locking point but hangs up and won’t close.

ETA took a file to the mount after working it in and out and seeing where the contact points were. Also filed the mag release and surplus mags are fitting better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an all-forged Riley I bought in a gas station parking lot last year.  I was getting tires on the truck, surfing the local sales forums right when the kid  posted the ad.  He said in the ad he had his eye on something already and wanted to sell fast.  I sent him a terrible low ball offer with a 'I'm out and can meet you right now', which he accepted.  I figured for the price I got it, I'd be ok even if it turned out to be total range toy.

I emailed some photos and the serial to Riley, 2 days later they gave me a production date and confirmed it was an all-forged parts gun.  Now that I have a little less than 1k through it, I don't have the time on it I wish I had, but it's been reliable enough I am finally comfortable with buying some accessories for it, and I intend to use it as my primary in an AK class in July.  I don't know where the round count was when it happened, but it did break in and run real nice after while.    Between me and a good friend, I have about 6 other AKMs to compare it to.  Comparing it to my 10/63, his Century guns, or his PSA GF3, I think the Riley is a better gun.  It's a little gassy, but it cycles nice, real solid.  Better fit and finish than any of the others.  The PSA GF3 hand cycles smoother, but my Riley sounds better, if that makes sense.  It sounds more solid... like denser metal...?  The surface finish on the PSA is smoother if you like that.  I like the duller finish on the Riley, but it's not Century rough.  Never had any problems feeding it any ammo or diff mags for that matter.  All in all, for what I paid for it, I'm real happy with it. If I ever spot a local ad for someone dumping one again, if it's a forged gun, I'll jump on it too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Got an email from Riley Defense.

Good Morning,

Thank you for reaching out. The RAK47-P, serial # B xxxxx, was manufactured in the 4th quarter of 2021. This rifle has a forged front trunnion, bolt and bolt carrier. Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,
Nikole
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had a Riley Defense AK for several years, mine is in 7.62x39 and it's all forged components. It isn't the prettiest rifle and the finish on the rifle is a bit flat and dull, but as far as functionality it is top notch. Never had any issues with it and the accuracy is very good for an AK rifle, it favors wolf military classic ammo and does very well with it. I've since upgraded the furniture on it to magpul zhukov in OD green and it made it a bit nicer to shoot with that setup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad to hear a lot of positive feedback. I’m gonna rattle can mine soon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glad to hear a lot of positive feedback. I’m gonna rattle can mine soon.
View Quote

The only reason I haven't sprayed mine is the laminate.  It's red lacquered, sexy as hell, and nice to look at.  When the zombies actually show up, I'll swap it out for polymer to spray bomb.  I just can't bring myself to paint over the Russian Red if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Got around to painting it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks pretty dang good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That looks pretty dang good.
View Quote

Thanks man used rust-oleum brown, deep forest green and earth brown. Found some camo stencils I liked and printed them out, then went to town. I did an AR at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any complaints about the 5.45 guns - they seem to be very available in desirable folder configs for relatively decent price if in fact good quality.
View Quote
No complaints here. Ran well right out of the box. Good quality with chrome bore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally done messing with my extra / poverty AK.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top