Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2018 7:10:19 PM EDT
I apologize if this thread has been made before. I looked and I couldn't find anything covering this, here or otherwise. Would anyone be willing to run through what the difference is between the AK47 and the AKM?

It's been my belief that AK47s were stamped receiver guns and AKMs were milled, predominantly. My beliefs on that have been called into question lately. It doesn't help that everything is labeled AK47, whether it really is or not.

Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You have them switched.  The Ak47 has the milled receiver and the AKM receiver is stamped.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the 47 was still initially produced on stamped receivers but it was more cost effective to make them milled, so that change was instituted.

Then they went back to stamped with the AKM, IIRC.

I think that the “the milled was the original” thing is a misconception that is frequently dispelled online when you dig into it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That's odd. I don't remember where it was, but I could have sworn I recalled hearing how the stamping process for the receivers for the AK47 wasn't working well and leading to poor operating rifles, then switched to milling for the AKMs to alleviate the issue
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The type 1 AK47 was indeed built on a stamped receiver but manufacturing difficulties forced The Soviets to adopt the forged, milled receiver type 2, and the improved forged type 3 as a stopgap measure.

Eventually production problems were resolved with the introduction of the stamped AKM.

Type 1 stamped AK rifles are exceedingly rare;  so in practical terms, it's okay to refer to AK 47s as those having forged, milled receivers and AKMs as having stamped receivers.

To be absolutely correct, AKs are built on forged, milled receivers except for the stamped model 1s, and AKMs are those which are built on stamped receivers; again with the exception of the rarely found stamped type 1s which are AKs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
https://youtu.be/zFagaHLuekQ

Ian also had a good "AK-49" video, but it's down from his website for some reason.

ETA: I did find it up on YouTube, maybe he just has a bad link going.

https://youtu.be/dL-1dauhH6M
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The differences depend on how detailed you want to get.

Using just the receiver, a rough guideline is that AK47s are milled and AKMs are stamped. Another poster pointed out this isnt 100% correct, but it is generally accepted. This is a pretty common story with AK rifles.

The barrels attach differently, the furniture is different, the front sling loop was moved, the AKM has a rate reducer in the FCG, and AKMs generally are equipped with slant brakes. Almost all of these differences have exceptions too because different nations tended to make changes to the original AKM design.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Using just the receiver, a rough guideline is that AK47s are milled and AKMs are stamped. Another poster pointed out this isnt 100% correct, but it is generally accepted. This is a pretty common story with AK rifles.

The barrels attach differently, the furniture is different, the front sling loop was moved, the AKM has a rate reducer in the FCG, and AKMs generally are equipped with slant brakes. Almost all of these differences have exceptions too because different nations tended to make changes to the original AKM design.
View Quote
Sounds like a hodgepodge. I can see why people don't tag the M or 47 on the end of "AK" when talking about the rifle, MAC for example.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The only exception to the stamped = AKM; and milled and forged = AK;  is the extremely rare Type 1 stamped AK.

Which is which is pretty clear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like a hodgepodge. I can see why people don't tag the M or 47 on the end of "AK" when talking about the rifle, MAC for example.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, definitely a hodgepodge. But that means there is always more to learn.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only exception to the stamped = AKM; and milled and forged = AK;  is the extremely rare Type 1 stamped AK.

Which is which is pretty clear.
View Quote
What is your opinion on the SAM7 and milled Chinese guns? Those have a bit of 47 and AKM in them.

They both use milled furniture, but the barrels are pinned. The full auto version of the SAM, the ARM1, uses a rate reducer as well. The Chinese never adopted the rate reducer. IMO they're different enough to be distinct from AK47 rifles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I always thought it interesting that the Saiga shotguns used a front trunnion design thay looks very similar to the Type 1
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is your opinion on the SAM7 and milled Chinese guns? Those have a bit of 47 and AKM in them.

They both use milled furniture, but the barrels are pinned. The full auto version of the SAM, the ARM1, uses a rate reducer as well. The Chinese never adopted the rate reducer. IMO they're different enough to be distinct from AK47 rifles.
View Quote
Since they have milled receivers they're AKs;  with the exception of type 1s, AKMs have stamped receivers.

SAMs are closer to AK74s, but they're AKs.

VEPRs are neither, they're sporterized versions of RPKs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#13]
OP...It's a fairly deep rabbit hole to go down. Bottom line is that countries that produced the AK often added their version of what the rifle should be to the design.

The Chinese and Yugo rifles are basically all the components of the milled receiver guns on a stamped receiver. With different rivet patterns and stock attachment means. The Yugo uses a long stock bolt for the rear stock the Chinese rear stock tang is a bit longer & screws are spaced a bit wider than standard Euro. comm. block made rifles.

Best thing to do is research the topic yourself and familiarize yourself with the differences between all the models & countries of manufacture. Grab any Books you can find on the topic and start pouring thru them. You'll be surprised at some of the subtle variations/differences in the AK from different countries & models within the AK line. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are going to ask what the difference between an AKM and AK47 is, you need to define what you mean by AK47.

AKM is used almost exclusively to mean the 7.62x39 stamped receiver variant that came out in 1959.

AK47 is a garbage can term for all Kalashnikov variants. It can mean the original stamped variant, but the type 1 is a unicorn. The original AK47 was discontinued and became the AK49, but anglophones kept using AK47. As far as I am concerned AK47 is the same as saying Kalashnikov variant, unless you are having an academic discussion about a variant you will likely never see in person.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top