Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2020 2:18:02 PM EDT
Any tips? I'll be going from 3mm to 1/8" Steel Dowels

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-new-ALLEN-HOLO-KROME-1-8-x-5-8-Standard-Dowel-Pins-Black-Lustre-01006/193309868347?pageci=85fe7099-e563-4963-823c-0d95f30baf4f

TypeDowel Pin
System of MeasurementInch
Diameter (Inch)1/8
Pin Length (Inch)5/8
MaterialAlloy Steel
Finish/CoatingBlack Lustre
Material SpecificationGrade 8
View Quote
I didn't want to go with stainless since I will be cold blu-ing this.

I went a bit longer since it's a Draco Gas Block. If anyone needs 1/8" Draco pins I've got plenty to spare.

I'm thinking of going with a #31 drill bit and using a 1/8 reamer.

I had this gas block removed to reinstall a new handguard retainer and it came off easier than it should have (I didn't even need the press, a big brass punch/hammer was able to remove it..) Also the pins aren't as much of a press fit as I'd like. It's possible to rotate the gas block with the pins in with a strike from a rubber mallet enough to rotate it a few degrees.

I figure I can fix the slight can't and get a more secure fit with the gas block by using 1/8 pins.

Just curious what the best amount of I interference is though
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any tips? I'll be going from 3mm to 1/8" Steel Dowels

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-new-ALLEN-HOLO-KROME-1-8-x-5-8-Standard-Dowel-Pins-Black-Lustre-01006/193309868347?pageci=85fe7099-e563-4963-823c-0d95f30baf4f

TypeDowel Pin
System of MeasurementInch
Diameter (Inch)1/8
Pin Length (Inch)5/8
MaterialAlloy Steel
Finish/CoatingBlack Lustre
Material SpecificationGrade 8
View Quote
I didn't want to go with stainless since I will be cold blu-ing this.

I went a bit longer since it's a Draco Gas Block. If anyone needs 1/8" Draco pins I've got plenty to spare.

I'm thinking of going with a #31 drill bit and using a 1/8 reamer.

I had this gas block removed to reinstall a new handguard retainer and it came off easier than it should have (I didn't even need the press, a big brass punch/hammer was able to remove it..) Also the pins aren't as much of a press fit as I'd like. It's possible to rotate the gas block with the pins in with a strike from a rubber mallet enough to rotate it a few degrees.

I figure I can fix the slight can't and get a more secure fit with the gas block by using 1/8 pins.

Just curious what the best amount of I interference is though
View Quote
Just realize a #31 will be bigger than a real 3mm bit so anticipate using oversized pins.

End mills also work better than tradition drill bits for barrel work. They cut straight in and don’t walk. You don’t wan to egg these holes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't get around to drilling out the barrel yet.

For research purposes. The Gas Block Journal on the M10 is .5735

I might just send it out for a front end conversion with Jmac stuff since I'm thinking of getting it cut/pinned/welded anyways.

Jmac Block/Barrel would be about $250
Labor would be about $200 but I'd have a shorter/handier rifle.

I figure I could just sell the Romanian Barrel on the EE.

Doing that to a Cugir is probably lipstick on a pig, but w/e.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top