Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 10:59:59 AM EDT
I installed an Ultimak on my x39 Arsenal. Installed Bushnell TRS25. Love the co-witness. However, after 2 mags, front lens flew out. Will return optic but want to install something else. Must co-witness. Opinions?

Front fell off!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Primary Arms is huge in the MRD space. Holosun is doing really well too, especially the 503G with ACSS reticule
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primary Arms is huge in the MRD space. Holosun is doing really well too, especially the 503G with ACSS reticule
View Quote
Nailed it. PA MDS if you are on a budget
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You've got a quality rifle, get a decent optic -Aimpoint Micro. Buy once, cry once! I run several on various platforms and have never seen one fail in training/hard use. Mine never get turned off. I just changed a battery that had been in constant use for 5yrs. It was still going strong!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I installed an Ultimak on my x39 Arsenal. Installed Bushnell TRS25. Love the co-witness. However, after 2 mags, front lens flew out. Will return optic but want to install something else. Must co-witness. Opinions?

Front fell off!
View Quote

Wow, they just don't make the TRS-25's like they used to. I have an old Gen1 with the bluer glass and it's seen 2k+ rounds out of my AK with no issues.. still running.

If you're going for budget, I suggest the Holosun 503GU (circle dot without the silly solar cell). It's held up extremely well on my other AK and the reticle seems fitting for the x39 caliber.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary Arms 30mm Gen 2 on a MI 30mm QR mount.  Near co-witness.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
PA and Holosun have both served me well in this application and mounting position.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I got the Aimpoint to get the most reliable red dot I could to go with one of the most reliable rifles on earth.  But I wouldn't hesitate to get the Primary Arms Advance red dot since it has similar features, and has been proving itself very well among the community along with a company that backs it with a lifetime warranty.  Primary Arms has very good customer service and are good people.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a used Aimpoint Comp/M2.  Same price and exponentially better optic.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
not a good choice for an ultimak setup.  a micro t1/h1 yes, not a M2.

regardless vortex sparc/II/AR is a great choice, PA's new micro dot with lifetime warranty, and holosun would also be a solid option without breaking the bank.

My sparc has held up quite well on my ultimak tube.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

regardless vortex sparc/II/AR is a great choice, PA's new micro dot with lifetime warranty, and holosun would also be a solid option without breaking the bank.

View Quote
Why not a good choice? Is it the weight being up front?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Front fell off!
View Quote
PA micro and other look a like dots are made in the same factory as the TRS 25, so it can happen with any of them.

From what I hear it's hit or miss with these.

TRS 25 has a one year warranty and from my experience when problems develop, they usually do right away like in your case.

I just picked up a TRS 25 myself for $44.00.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it's not a good choice, it's an excellent choice.  I have used a T1, R1, and an M2 on an Ultimak.  The M2/Comp/Pro provides a better field of view, especially given the longer distance from your eye to the rear of the optic and allows more room for error.  With the right mount, it co-witnesses too.

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're right, it's not a good choice, it's an excellent choice.  I have used a T1, R1, and an M2 on an Ultimak.  The M2/Comp/Pro provides a better field of view, especially given the longer distance from your eye to the rear of the optic and allows more room for error.  With the right mount, it co-witnesses too.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ultimak_M2-460x345.jpg
View Quote
What about the weight on an already nose heavy Ak?

Isn't that why many folks run a micro dot on an AK with Ultimak rail?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ultimak_M2-460x345.jpg

There's roughly a 4oz difference between an Aimpoint micro and an M2.  Having used both, in my experience, the positives it adds to usability far outweigh the negatives.  Try both optics and use a shot timer, I bet your first shot will be substantially faster with the M2.  Then try working barricades, off angles, etc.  The micro "looks neat" on an Ultimak but the proof is in the pudding.  YMMV.

Getting off topic here, but if you want the benefits of the larger lens of the M2, but less weight, the Trijicon MRO does both... weighs about the same as a Micro, but the prices for used ones are not on par with what the OP is looking for.  Another alternative to keep the weight further back would be to use something like the Attero Arms mount, then just use the Ultimak for your WML.  Not my picture, but you get the idea.  I have this mount on a Mini Draco pistol with an Aimpoint Micro... works great.

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Does the Aimpoint T2 factory low mount allow absolute co-witness?
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
No.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#17]
pk01vs. the best imho. integrated mount, cheaper than most of alternatives, returns back to zero, 1 Moa dot (huge plus for me) and really well made and durable, I have two of them, Never have had a problem, i dropped One two Times from about 3 feet, no damage and it retained zero. The only problem Could Be that it is not manifactured in the u.s.a. so Assistance From The company Belomo could be slow, Even if I have been told that They are very efficient with warranty issues. i was forgetting, perfect cowitnessing
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
GG&G had an Aimpoint Comp mount that attached to the side rail that I really liked. It didn’t stay in their inventory long and I haven’t seen it since. Wish I’d ordered it when I saw it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Sound recommendation. I cannot think of a better red dot sight for the money. The dot is extremely crisp and it is very well built. I am patiently waiting for this to be re-stocked online.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
With PA introducing their $150 micro, 50,000 hour battery life and unconditional lifetime warranty, I think it's time to retire the "buy once cry once" mantra.

I have several of the previous version PA Advanced Micro-dots on shotguns, ARs, and AKs. I haven't had any issues with any of them so far, and the new one is cheaper with a better warranty. What's not to like?

With PA's reputation for customer service and the lifetime warranty on a lot of their new products, I don't see any personal need for me to ever buy an AimPoint again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I currently run an MD-RB-AD on an Ultimak on my personal Bulgarian 74U, so I do have direct experience with that configuration as a shooter.

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MD-RB-AD-v2.jpg
View Quote
Appreciate the support to this forum, your transparency and commitment to your products.

- with your setup above, does it absolute cowitness or is it a lower 1/3 cowitness?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's an absolute co-witness. I greatly prefer a lower 1/3rd, there is too much metal in my field of view as it sits right now. At some point this year I'm going to ditch the Ultimak and go with an SLR Rifleworks forend for three reasons:

1. Hopefully the optic will sit a bit higher and the damn rear sight won't cover up half of my field of view through it.

2. I can put a flashlight on the gun and a stubby foregrip.

3. It will look super cool (hey, at least I'm honest).
View Quote
Great info and insights, thanks Mike..
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure on cowitness but I really like the look of meprolight optics on AK's.  All the newer stuff jwe use on AR's just look weird on AK pattern rifles.

If your really wanting a co witness.. maybe look at the vortex venom
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Trijicon MRO...I like the wide FOV.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Sig Romeo 5 ,best bang for the buck. Can be had for $129.99 landed .
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI , I have the Aimpoint micro that I bought on sale 8 years  ($498.99) ago and the Sig Romeo5 I bought 2 years ago ( $149.99) I installed on a AR .
I can not fault either and both have preformed flawlessly . I really can not say the  Aimpoint is any better in any way including the clarity ,brightness or robustness. In fact I have installed a Romeo5 ( got this one for $129.99 landed )on my Marlin 1895M and have run about 150 full power 350 grain loads and 50 nuclear 405 hand loads through it and the Romeo5 took the punishment and still works fine. I am now waiting for the mount from Botach  for my Galil to put a Romeo5 on it . great Reddot for a great price.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top