AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2018 6:12:38 PM EDT
How does it compare to other brands?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
same as tula imo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Red Army Standard is usually made by Vympel which is acknowledged to be a top Russian plant.

Most folks like Vimpel, but don't like RAS.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch of the Romanian stuff.  I really like it. Seems better in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Red Army, especially the Boattail version, twin of the Golden Tiger round also made by Vympel. Both have a sealed neck and primer.
Velocity wise it was some of the highest I tested, my AR and wood Mini-30 getting 2480 fps., and my synthetic stock Mini-30 shoots RAS at 2550 fps.
Accuracy wise it is a lot like Silver Bear, another round that did well in my testing.
I'd get 5, 6 or 7 rounds almost through one hole at 100 yards, like a finger tip size group, but the other 3 or 4 will be flyers.
For $6-$7 a box, you can't expect them to load with Match bullets. If it weren't for some random bullet voids and inconsistencies, either one of those loads would be scary accurate.
The Silver Bear has been slightly more accurate than RAS, has a HP bullet instead of an FMJ, no sealed neck and primer but the Silver Bear has a cool Zinc plating on the case that makes it look like it's nickel plated. The Zinc should make things easier on your chamber if not your extractor.

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Rebranded Golden Tiger. Same plant too
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Red Army, especially the Boattail version, twin of the Golden Tiger round also made by Vympel. Both have a sealed neck and primer.
Velocity wise it was some of the highest I tested, my AR and wood Mini-30 getting 2480 fps., and my synthetic stock Mini-30 shoots RAS at 2550 fps.
Accuracy wise it is a lot like Silver Bear, another round that did well in my testing.
I'd get 5, 6 or 7 rounds almost through one hole at 100 yards, like a finger tip size group, but the other 3 or 4 will be flyers.
For $6-$7 a box, you can't expect them to load with Match bullets. If it weren't for some random bullet voids and inconsistencies, either one of those loads would be scary accurate.
The Silver Bear has been slightly more accurate than RAS, has a HP bullet instead of an FMJ, no sealed neck and primer but the Silver Bear has a cool Zinc plating on the case that makes it look like it's nickel plated. The Zinc should make things easier on your chamber if not your extractor.
https://i.imgur.com/BxF5I41l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aJ6JC5vl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vmrYX15l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u4FFxsvl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3QH4h1Ql.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/G3e02cil.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h19Al00l.jpg
View Quote
Did you ever do measurement and test on brown bear?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Although the Brown Bear and Silver Bear appear to be identical loads (except for the Zinc plating on the Silver Bear's steel case) the Brown Bear wasn't as accurate for me. Velocities were the same for both loads.
It would make sense that Barnaul uses the same HP bullet and powder/primer for both loads. Weird but when I measured them, the Brown Bear bullet measured .309", while the Silver Bear was .310". Maybe that was why I got better groups with Silver ?

I think the Silver Bear, with better accuracy and Zinc plating for the chamber is the better round of the two.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Although the Brown Bear and Silver Bear appear to be identical loads (except for the Zinc plating on the Silver Bear's steel case) the Brown Bear wasn't as accurate for me. Velocities were the same for both loads.
It would make sense that Barnaul uses the same HP bullet and powder/primer for both loads. Weird but when I measured them, the Brown Bear bullet measured .309", while the Silver Bear was .310". Maybe that was why I got better groups with Silver ?
https://i.imgur.com/mmEIDrch.jpg
I think the Silver Bear, with better accuracy and Zinc plating for the chamber is the better round of the two.
View Quote
Thanks again ,helped a lot.

Blasting ammo will be brown bear, and SHTF stash red army or golden tiger (whichever is cheaper)
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

Only the box is different.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.

Some of it is sourced from Romania.  I recently picked up 1500 rds for 18CPR online and my stuff was from Romania.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have some Romanian RAS. I think they are like wolf, and only distribute ammo from other plants. I have also seen the polymer case RAS IIRC, and well as the Golden Tiger clone. I like the Romanian stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess i will be the oddball here and say that the RAS was terrible in 2 of my rifles.

Like 5+ moa bad. I blasted it to get rid of it.Good thing i only bought 500 rounds,never again

Clean burning, but throwing gravel by hand would have netted better results in my tests
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guess i will be the oddball here and say that the RAS was terrible in 2 of my rifles.

Like 5+ moa bad. I blasted it to get rid of it.Good thing i only bought 500 rounds,never again

Clean burning, but throwing gravel by hand would have netted better results in my tests
View Quote
Probably the old Romanian produced stuff. A bunch of Israeli surplus contract Romanian ammo came in back in the mid 2000's sealed in 700 round tins.  The report was the accuracy was awful.  When RAS came out the ammo looked exactly like the surplus stuff in the tins and was made in the same SADU plant so I assumed it would have similar problems and steered clear.

If you get the newer Vympel stuff you should be good to go in the accuracy department, although Vympel has been putting out some hard primer ammo recently.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The current manufacture with the purple sealant and boat tail bullet is re boxed Golden Tiger.

I've seen pictures of it coming off the line and being boxed at the Vympel plant.

None of which means that as they've done in the past, Century won't change the source of their Red Army Standard branded ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably the old Romanian produced stuff. A bunch of Israeli surplus contract Romanian ammo came in back in the mid 2000's sealed in 700 round tins.  The report was the accuracy was awful.  When RAS came out the ammo looked exactly like the surplus stuff in the tins and was made in the same SADU plant so I assumed it would have similar problems and steered clear.

If you get the newer Vympel stuff you should be good to go in the accuracy department, although Vympel has been putting out some hard primer ammo recently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right on it being Romanian made.I think it came in some odd number of rounds in a battle pack or something like that.

I bought it last year sometime,dont think it had the purple sealant on the necks.Whatever it was,it was really,really bad.It went bang and thats about it
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top