Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 2:45:03 PM EDT
Looking for subsonic 7.62x39 ammo to obliterate medium sized wild hogs.  Looking at under 100 yards, most likely under 75 yards.  So a hunting load is preferred.

I’m using a bolt action, BUT if it cycles a semi, that’s good too.

If a good subsonic hunting load doesn’t exist, I’ll keep with supersonic.  I’m not set up to reload, but will be in 18 months.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Currently, there isn't a subsonic hunting load for 7.62x39 unless you reload; as for cycling subsonics, other than a few boutique suppliers, brown bear 196gr FMJ subsonic loads cycle the action suppressed or unsuppressed.

If you want to reload a "mexican match" subsonic hunting load with the brown bear subs, Discreet Ballistics sells their 188gr .308 cnc machined subsonic expanding hunting bullets used in their subsonic .300blk loads:

https://discreetballistics.com/shop/300blk-selous-machined-expander-projectiles/

Otherwise, I'd stick to supersonic loads like Federal Fusion, etc.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Currently, there isn't a subsonic hunting load for 7.62x39 unless you reload; as for cycling subsonics, other than a few boutique suppliers, brown bear 196gr FMJ subsonic loads cycle the action suppressed or unsuppressed.

If you want to reload a "mexican match" subsonic hunting load with the brown bear subs, Discreet Ballistics sells their 188gr .308 cnc machined subsonic expanding hunting bullets used in their subsonic .300blk loads:

https://discreetballistics.com/shop/300blk-selous-machined-expander-projectiles/

Otherwise, I'd stick to supersonic loads like Federal Fusion, etc.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
It does help.  Stop spinning wheels looking for something that doesn't exist.  Once I start reloading, I will ask way more questions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Engel Ballistic Research has two subsonic loads in 7.62x39. I have used their .308 with great results.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Engel Ballistic Research has two subsonic loads in 7.62x39. I have used their .308 with great results.
View Quote
@whiskerz

Wow.  That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

I sent them an email for drop tables, but I’ll buy some when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't know EBR was making CNC'd hunting loads now; they remind me a lot of the Discreet Ballistics bullets.

As far as drop goes, they probably perform similarly to .300blk 220gr subs
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Didn't know EBR was making CNC'd hunting loads now; they remind me a lot of the Discreet Ballistics bullets.

As far as drop goes, they probably perform similarly to .300blk 220gr subs
View Quote
Fair point.  I don’t have a 300blk, but I could have looked it up.

However, EBR returned email in a hour, with the table.  I actually think it’s on their site, I couldn’t pull it up on my phone at all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The only sub-sonic 7.62x39 I know of is the 196 grain FMJ by 'Brown Bear'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad to help.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top