Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
Just curious about the opinions of others here:

I have one of my SKSs for sale locally; it has all matching numbers, but had the bayonet lug ground off when I got it. It had a Monte-Carlo style hunting stock on it when I got it about 15 years ago. I purchased one of the Tapco tactical stocks (which I happen to like), and a new gas piston to make it 922R compliant. I still have the original 10 round mag and piston. I use the 20 round duck-bill Tapco mags and the bolt has been modified to allow for the drop-free mag changes with bolt closed. I also added a quick-release extension of the mag release. It functions flawlessly and never a jam or misfire.

I am asking $400 for the package, which includes the original 10 round mag, original gas piston, 2 Tapco 20 round duck-bill mags and the original gas piston. I have had a couple of offers for $300 for the package and declined the offers. I countered for $350 but no response (and really didn't want to sell it for that). The SKS is a Norenco and the serial number dates it to the early to mid 1970s. I know it is not a collector's item, but it is like new and fired very little.

Thing is, if you look at SKS parts on eBay, the parts alone, without the barreled receiver, are selling for close to $300 or more. I will keep the SKS before I sell it for parts prices.

Any thought or opinions appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
$300 to the right person.  I wouldn't buy it because of the bayonet lug being removed, but that's me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to add. You can only date Arsenal 26 carbines.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks for the info. If it is not worth more than parts prices (minus barreled receiver) I'll keep it. I don't need the money and don't need to sell it. Just thought I'd sell to make room for another AK (my latest firearms interest). Also, in regards to the bayonet lug, one could always replace the front sight block with one with a bayonet lug.

Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been BUBBAed.

No more than 300
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's been BUBBAed.

No more than 300
View Quote
Well, bubba ain't always a bad thing.

And, I did all the bubbaing myself, (except for removing the bayonet lug, and they did a neat job of it) had a lot of fun doing it, and to high standard of quality and precision. I also removed the FCG seer, polished it and made it safer with the rearward beveled slant. So, yea, it's all bubbed up. But it performs great, is safer, accurate, and the trigger is much smoother than a basic SKS.

Thanks for the comments...
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, thanks for the info. If it is not worth more than parts prices (minus barreled receiver) I'll keep it. I don't need the money and don't need to sell it. Just thought I'd sell to make room for another AK (my latest firearms interest). Also, in regards to the bayonet lug, one could always replace the front sight block with one with a bayonet lug.

Thanks again for the input.
View Quote
I’ve replaced them before and it’s not as easy as it sounds. There’s too many variations in Chinese barrels to make it an easy swap. If it was a Sino, I’d consider it if it was cheap enough for my time and aggravation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've replaced them before and it's not as easy as it sounds. There's too many variations in Chinese barrels to make it an easy swap. If it was a Sino, I'd consider it if it was cheap enough for my time and aggravation.
View Quote
Again, thanks for the comments. I recently talked to the owners of a couple of gun stores in my area, who take trades and sell used guns, and they said the SKSs have been moving slowly off their selves lately. And, they were asking like $375 to $450 for them in original condition, with bayonet. I've also read that the US market was flooded with SKSs of all sorts, and that may be true too. Of course, I'm no SKS expert by any means.

But, like I said, if you check out eBay for SKS parts, the market, and prices, seems to be strong. I could probably part out my SKS for more than $300; but I don't plan on it. I was just curious to hear some other opinions.

One thing is for sure though, the days of the $89.99 surplus SKSs at the local Rose's department store are over, and have been for a while... :-)
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to make money, you'll have to part it out.  I'm sure it's a nice good shooting rifle, but it would cost way to much time and money to restore it to a configuration that I'd enjoy.

If I have to replace the front sight and bayonet assembly, the stocks, the sling, the cleaning rod, and the cleaning kit, I don't think I would pay more than $150 for it.  And I know that it's worth way more than that in parts.

The problem is that I couldn't make enough selling the parts that I wouldn't use to finance the restoration, and then I'd still have a mismatched number Mixmaster rifle.  Why bother when I can get a late model Norinco all numbers matched rifle for $300-400
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to make money, you'll have to part it out.  I'm sure it's a nice good shooting rifle, but it would cost way to much time and money to restore it to a configuration that I'd enjoy.

If I have to replace the front sight and bayonet assembly, the stocks, the sling, the cleaning rod, and the cleaning kit, I don't think I would pay more than $150 for it.  And I know that it's worth way more than that in parts.

The problem is that I couldn't make enough selling the parts that I wouldn't use to finance the restoration, and then I'd still have a mismatched number Mixmaster rifle.  Why bother when I can get a late model Norinco all numbers matched rifle for $300-400
View Quote
Thanks for the comments.

I've seen the all original Chinese SKSs, with bayonet and original stock (but rarely the cleaning rod and kit) for $300 upwards. A pretty nice one with some ammo may be advertised for $400 +. I have not seen any kind of complete SKS rifle advertised for $150 in many years, anywhere. That doesn't mean they are not out there or could be bought that cheap.

I don't plan on selling my SKS for any less than $300, and probably won't sell it for that. And, I don't plan on parting it out. I've had it for 15 years, and it is clean, no rust, no pitting, and shoots great as it; and, I like the modifications and upgrades. The only reason I was even thinking about selling it was to make room for another AK style rifle.

For those who only want an SKS in original condition, there are plenty of them out there for sale; the woods are full of them.

In terms of parting out the SKS, on eBay, an original SKS wood stock with hardware is selling for $65 to $100; a bayonet for $20; complete bolt and bolt carrier $75 to $100; front sight block, with bayonet lug $50; long gas piston $30; short piston and spring $40; gas tube $20 to $ 50; complete trigger assembly $75 to $100; bolt carrier dust cover $40; original 10 round mag $20 to $50; recoil spring $15 to $20. These prices are just a quick check on eBay, and there are some variation on prices, but this is a pretty accurate representation...

Using the lower end prices, that is $450; using the higher end prices, it is $600.

You are right, selling just the parts, minus the barreled receiver, is most likely the way to make money on an SKS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I sold the SKS for $375. I'm satisfied with that price, and the buyer got a very nice, low mileage SKS; he was thrilled with it.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top