Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2021 11:26:22 PM EDT
I just got my new Galeo pistol and ATI definitely made some changes to the mag well.  My steel mags sit higher in the rear of the mag well.  The top of the mag now looks parallel to the rails.  Also, none of the mags that I tried were tight like with my other two Galeo rifles.  I have not had allot of time to go over the pistol or shoot it yet, but at first look it seems like they may have fixed the mag well issue.  Has anyone else gotten a Galeo pistol or rifle recently?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you post some pics....
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I will look into some pics, but I am not setup to do them.  Also, I forgot to mention that the magazine reinforcement side plate is even with the bottom the side of the receiver.  The rear portion extends slightly below the receiver side on my two rifles.  It looks like they took the advice of the poster on here who had success with removing some of the receiver above the mag catch to lift the rear of the mag up.  The difference is not much but noticeable.  I hope that this makes this pistol not over ride rounds and jam like my rifles.  Changes do not seem to effect fit of Tapco mags.  Again, all of this is based on my early observations as I have just gotten the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished a build on a Galeo receiver. Seems to fit surplus mags fine though a couple are kinda tight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just finished a build on a Galeo receiver. Seems to fit surplus mags fine though a couple are kinda tight.
View Quote

Oh?
Details?

ETA. Of course, now that I jump on an ATI barreled receiver to go with my SAR kit, I find out the Galeo pistols are in stock.

Kudos to OP
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh?
Details?

ETA. Of course, now that I jump on an ATI barreled receiver to go with my SAR kit, I find out the Galeo pistols are in stock.

Kudos to OP
View Quote

What sort of details?

Galeo kit barreled reciever and SAR kit. It was stupid easy to complete even though I did have to pull the barrel and modify the FSB journal. ATI still hasn't responded as of a week ago on that. I'd have to say their CS sucks. Looks like I may have the china flu so I won't be going out to test it today as I had hoped.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What sort of details?

Galeo kit barreled reciever and SAR kit. It was stupid easy to complete even though I did have to pull the barrel and modify the FSB journal. ATI still hasn't responded as of a week ago on that. I'd have to say their CS sucks. Looks like I may have the china flu so I won't be going out to test it today as I had hoped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh?
Details?

Kudos to OP

What sort of details?

This right here?
How about the headspace? ATI add says it’s set, but how do you headspace it with the random bolt from the SAR kit?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This right here?
How about the headspace? ATI add says it’s set, but how do you headspace it with the random bolt from the SAR kit?
View Quote

There are 3 different SAR FSBs. Mine has a bayo lug and isis about 0.400 longer than the journal cut by ATI. Diameter is fine, length not.

You set the headspace with the bolt or barrel. You can either lap in the bolt with lapping compound or machine it off the barrel. Mine seems just fine, maybe a hair on the tight side. They probably have a "in spec" bolt they use to set headspace. Your mileage may vary depending on wear in your kit.

I've got factory new AKs that feel like they've got more headspace issues than this thing. This one is definitely tight. No way it even attempts to close on  the no-go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
SBR!
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SBR!
View Quote

That's the plan. Gotta do a barrel extension first so I can legally add the stock and make sure everything cycles fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the muzzle thread M13x1 or 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's the plan. Gotta do a barrel extension first so I can legally add the stock and make sure everything cycles fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SBR!

Like this one?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the muzzle thread M13x1 or 1/2x28?
View Quote

M13x1
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Similar idea. Mine will be threaded 5/8-24 for a QD muzzle device. I'm not paying $75 for something I can turn on a lathe in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I just noticed an issue with my Galeo pistol.  The muzzle device was loose.  I checked it over and noticed that it was missing the set screw.  I did not realize that SAR muzzle devices use a set screw.  I called ATI and the rep is trying to help me get a screw.

I also dug out my R4 parts and mags.  I test fit my unissued R4 steel mags and they all fit like the IMI mags, just a hair tighter.  No super tight (scratches the mags and removes finish) metal mags yet in the pistol.  

I also noticed that all of my mags now have some up / down play above the mag catch.  My guess is that they removed material above where the rear mag lug hits the receiver, but did not remove the same amount of material from where the mag catch support attaches to the receiver.  On my original two rifles I had some mags where the mag catch did not want to fully seat or had to be forced to seat.  Now I have the opposite situation, where all of the mags that I have tried are not held tight by the mag catch and have some rear up down play.  I hope this will not cause any feeding issues or require me to pull the mag back when firing.  Still do not know when I will be able to shoot the rifle, but am hopeful that it works better than my other two.  They both work until there is about four or less rounds and then jam with two rounds, one of which is over-ridden buy the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
On the older galeo rifles. I have 3, I have to modify the front lug on the surplus magazines i increase the angle until it is almost flush with the top of the magazine. It seems their bullet guides in the receiver were set back too far? My first attempt i worked on the back of the mag. That was a mistake, the top angle of the front lug is the secret. I file mine in a vise but they could be milled. Same angle just flush with the top of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Valmet mags fit perfectly. How'd ATI manage that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Galil mags fit fine in a Valmet too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but why would Valmet mags fit correctly in the current iteration of the ATI receivers when Galil mags don’t? Even my Orlites are too deep front to back.

ETA: I shouldn't just say "yes" , Galil mags fit fine in a Valmet. I should've said; "yes, I've read that the Galil was based off the Valmet. I don't actually know that Galil mags fit in a Valmet. I certainly didn't expect the Galeo to accept Valmet mags.
If Galil mags fit so readily in a Valmet, why'd US Valmet owners have to convert Weigers, etc. to fit?

Sorry for the highjack, OP. Hope this interests you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, but why would Valmet mags fit correctly in the current iteration of the ATI receivers when Galil mags don’t? Even my Orlites are too deep front to back.

ETA: I shouldn't just say "yes" , Galil mags fit fine in a Valmet. I should've said; "yes, I've read that the Galil was based off the Valmet. I don't actually know that Galil mags fit in a Valmet. I certainly didn't expect the Galeo to accept Valmet mags.
If Galil mags fit so readily in a Valmet, why'd US Valmet owners have to convert Weigers, etc. to fit?

Sorry for the highjack, OP. Hope this interests you.
View Quote

Because Galil mags don't reliably feed in a Valmet. You have a lot of possibility of a bullet setback from the round mashing into the barrel. Feed angle is different. I want to say something about a bullet guide difference too.

I own a Galil and my dad has the Valmet (preban purchase that I'm totally jealous of) so I don't have both to look at and compare mags and trunnions. It's been in the family a long, long time.

For explicit details you should ask Tony Remore. He is the #1 Valmet guy I can think of. He converted tons of mags for them. My dad swears by his converted mags.

The ATI and CAI monkeys are known for screwing up tolerances of even the most simple things. They managed to make an AK that'll kill you. Not even the drunkest of Russian can do that and I've got a couple real vodka specials!

My ATI Galil receiver fits all my milsurp mags just fine as I'd ask of any other AK I own (I collect Russian and Bulgarian mostly) and took less fitting than any of my saiga's or veprs. Took zero fitting.

There is likely a tighter tolerance in Valmet mags. The Israelis needed guns pretty quick and probably left the mag tolerances looser.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top