Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2019 10:36:20 PM EDT
I picked up 2k rounds of the Tula 7.62x39 "range safe" ammo that has the copper jacketed projectiles. I would like to run my AK in competition, where you shoot close range paper targets, but engage further steel targets that are at least 50-yards away.

This ammo will not damage standard steel targets correct? I really don't want to pay for a new plate rack if this ammo will cause damage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I shouldn't but it really depends on the target.  If it's AR500 steel, it shouldn't damage it.  If the targets were made by bubba out of scrap steel and a welding torch all bets are off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I linked a video at a timestamp where you can watch Wolf bi metal jacket VS chinese steel core milsurp on an AR500 plate; while neither is the ammunition you purchased, you can see that there is little, if any damage.

Most steel target manufacturers recommend shooting their targets from 100yds away at minimum with rifle cartridges anyway.

Usually ranges are concerned about any number of things in regards to bi metal jacketed ammo, from target damage, to ricochets, to sparking causing fires.

[youtube]IWEyEbg2-OA?t=263[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
We shoot a lot of steel at our local rifle match and I’ve shot a lot of 7.62x39 copper jacketed bullets into it.

7.62x39 doesn’t damage the steel any more than 556 does. What I have noticed is that although both cartridges do have close to the same energy at close ranges the 7.62x39 does move the plates a lot more than 556 does. In particular spinner targets that are a pain to flip with 556 are easily spun with 7.62x39.

I suspect what’s happening is that the 556 shatters on the steel but a lot of the energy goes into breaking the bullet up. 7.62x39 seems to ‘stick’ to the target momentarily and transfer a lot of energy into moving the plate.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked up 2k rounds of the Tula 7.62x39 "range safe" ammo that has the copper jacketed projectiles. I would like to run my AK in competition, where you shoot close range paper targets, but engage further steel targets that are at least 50-yards away.

This ammo will not damage standard steel targets correct? I really don't want to pay for a new plate rack if this ammo will cause damage.
View Quote
Generally speaking if your impact velocity is below 2700 Fps it won't divot the AR500 rifle targets for most common rifle calibers
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Generally speaking if your impact velocity is below 2700 Fps it won't divot the AR500 rifle targets for most common rifle calibers
View Quote
This. M193 5.56mm craters AR500 pretty badly and that stuff doesn't even have a penetrator/steel core.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
How accurate is this stuff? May pick up a bunch if it can hold around 1.5-2moa in a Ruger ranch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We shoot a lot of steel at our local rifle match and I’ve shot a lot of 7.62x39 copper jacketed bullets into it.

7.62x39 doesn’t damage the steel any more than 556 does. What I have noticed is that although both cartridges do have close to the same energy at close ranges the 7.62x39 does move the plates a lot more than 556 does. In particular spinner targets that are a pain to flip with 556 are easily spun with 7.62x39.

I suspect what’s happening is that the 556 shatters on the steel but a lot of the energy goes into breaking the bullet up. 7.62x39 seems to ‘stick’ to the target momentarily and transfer a lot of energy into moving the plate.

AJ
View Quote
Despite the similar energy of both cartridges, the law of conservation of momentum favors the much heavier bullet and the lighter bullet sheds more of its momentum on impact whereas the retained momentum of the 7.62x39 shoves the plate around more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordinary bi-metal-jacketed 7.62x39 will not be any more harmful to steel plate (or anything else) than copper-jacketed ammo. It is ignorant for anyone to object to it for that reason. They only used it because copper was either not available or too expensive. These jackets will spark if they hit rocks or pavement so that is legitimate where there is a fire danger.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top