Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/6/2019 10:16:56 AM EDT
I'm looking to put a side rail mount on my AK, using the AK master mount. I've done research and would like to know your opinions, on the RS regulate and the Midwest Industries mounts. I see the RS is more geared towards the competitive shooter but definitely costs more. The MI looks like a solid mount but I've heard things like it doesn't center the optic directly over the receiver. I just want to put a simple red dot on the weapon, like a Vortex Strike fire. I'm not wanting to use it in competition, just for shooting. The eyes are getting older. Looking for info on rtz, after removing and installing, use of iron sights for close range, solid application of mount. Input please.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to put a side rail mount on my AK, using the AK master mount. I've done research and would like to know your opinions, on the RS regulate and the Midwest Industries mounts. I see the RS is more geared towards the competitive shooter but definitely costs more. The MI looks like a solid mount but I've heard things like it doesn't center the optic directly over the receiver. I just want to put a simple red dot on the weapon, like a Vortex Strike fire. I'm not wanting to use it in competition, just for shooting. The eyes are getting older. Looking for info on rtz, after removing and installing, use of iron sights for close range, solid application of mount. Input please.
View Quote
RS Regulate is the top of the food chain for AK Side Mounting of Optics, but you can't go wrong with MI Either, which will line up 90% of the time, perfect center over your AK, although a few variants it may be slightly off, not to sure on the specifics, I hope someone can correct me on that or have more specific information, but I digress. The RS Regulate allows you many variables on how you want to set your Red Dot up and given your age, and eyes I would probably go with the RS Regulate because it is more accommodating to your needs, and will allow you to adjust accordingly, for you, where as the MI is already preset for you, but that's not to say it isn't great mount either, it is, just does not have the customization factor that you get with RS Regulate. Go with the RS Regulate you can adjust accordingly for your specific needs, and it is the best mounting option for you are seeking.

Vortex Strikefire II is a great red dot, I have one mounted on my 106CR, and love it, but with your eyes you may want to go with a better quality option, buy once cry once, I own 3 Strikefire II's and never had any issues with them, but it is a budget optic of high quality for the price they ask, but you do get a few lemons, and have heard the horror stories people have had with astigmatism, good stories too but also the dot having a fish eye effect to it, on every one I have bought which is the OPMOD Version from OpticsPlanet I have never had that issue with the exception of a few seconds and up to a minute of it having that kind of effect before returning to a normal dot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Having had both, I would also advise going with the RS Regulate. While both are solid mounts, the RS has features that I prefer.
It is lower profile. It doesn't snag on my clothes or brush like the Midwest did. Because it sat lower, I am able to do a cheek weld, where as I had to do a chin weld on the MI. It also felt lighter.
Overall, the RA is a much more refined mounting system and worth the extra cost, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got 3 Midwest Industries mounts, 2 ordinary gen 1 types and  a gen 2 Yugo style, and they've all been superb.

They're properly centered low over the dust covers, all 3 are solid as hell with an excellent Elite Defense QD system, and they all return to absolutely perfect zero when removed and reinstalled.

I'm at the range 2-3 times a week, shoot my rifles often, and remove and reinstall the mounts after every shooting session and these mounts have been absolutely extraordinary.

I don't care about price and if both mounts cost the same I'd still continue to buy the MI.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got 3 Midwest Industries mounts, 2 ordinary gen 1 types and  a gen 2 Yugo style, and they've all been superb.

They're properly centered low over the dust covers, all 3 are solid as hell with an excellent Elite Defense QD system, and they all return to absolutely perfect zero when removed and reinstalled.

I'm at the range 2-3 times a week, shoot my rifles often, and remove and reinstall the mounts after every shooting session and these mounts have been absolutely extraordinary.

I don't care about price and if both mounts cost the same I'd still continue to buy the MI.
View Quote
Which ones were the MI Mount having trouble being centered over, did we ever get any specifics, I can't remember them for the life me, would be a good idea if you know which ones in case OP is the odd man out.

Love the MI Mount no doubt, and you are correct solid QD system for sure, but with OP being a little older, and eyes being a little weaker, I think the RS Regulate has a little more options in the adjustment department for him to setup to his preference, and will give him that ability to adjust as needed for his situation with the Red Dot he is wanting to use, where as the MI Mount you cannot place it forward or backwards as necessary for someone with weaker eyes, if this was not the situation would be right there recommending him the MI Mount to save a few bucks, and buy more mags and or ammo with. At least the MI Mount's are much better than the horror show the Mini Dot from them was lolololol!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the AK master mount??  They have a full and a short that popular. Anyone try it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about the AK master mount??  They have a full and a short that popular. Anyone try it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have experience with MI MRO gen2 mount on a krinkov?  Looks like the MRO is pretty forward and i didn't know if there would be clearance issues with rear sight.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
MI gets my vote.  Its one piece design is extremely simple to use.  So is its locking system.  It complements AK perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MI gets my vote.  Its one piece design is extremely simple to use.  So is its locking system.  It complements AK perfectly.
View Quote

Does the MI mount allow optics to directly mount to it? Assuming they have pic mounts. It appeared the RS requires another adapter between the optic and rail.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does the MI mount allow optics to directly mount to it? Assuming they have pic mounts. It appeared the RS requires another adapter between the optic and rail.
View Quote

For the MI mount, if you're referring to mounting AKOG style sight directly like the AK Master Mount, I don't believe you can. It looks like the rail is flat. The AK Master Mount has a channel for the AKOG mount.  As for the RS Mount, it's a 2 piece design. You buy the base that fits your AK and then you get the top for what ever optic you want.

I have both the MI Gen 2 and the RS mount with the Aimpoint mount. I like the RS Mount better as it allows you to center your optic left and right. The MI Gen 2 mount does not give you that option. Plus the RS Mount sits lower on my WASR to kinda give me co-witness with the Holosun RDS I'm using.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't let a thread-like this past my eyes without giving a 101% endorsement of RSReg.  First of all they are the best modern side mounts made today with most options of optic placement. Low profile, and very tough.

But Scott H, the owner, has answered questions by email on holiday weekends and has sent me no-charge replacement parts and even replaced a whole mount for me @ no charge that was some early version I bought used online.

THAT kind of customer service combined with clearly superior product makes me a loud vocal advocate.  I will always use and recommend his products.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Is everyone buying RS direct from the website or are their some good dealers/websites you would recommend to purchase?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My limited (but recent) experience:

I purchased an MI AK optic mount directly from the MI website.  (link below)
Midwest Industries Gen 2 AK Side Mount  forT1-T2 and Clones

The mount was shipped quickly and arrived nicely boxed and packed.  Unfortunately, the mount I received had a defect.  The mount would not stay tight and kept falling off while shooting.  I called Midwest Industries.  The person I spoke to apologized and they promptly sent a replacemnt mount with no defect - no questions asked and no B.S.  I did *not* have to send the original part back and the replacement part arrived within a few days of my call.   The replaceemnt part is rock-solid and has held zero through about 700 rounds and one accidental drop off the back of my 4Runner (thank you son).  The fit and finish is top notch.  I believe the original part had a dimensional machining error.  Based on their customer service and the excellent quality of the replacment part I will definately continue to buy from Midwest Industries without hesitation.

All that said, based on reading internet posts and feedback it looks like RS Regulate makes "tier 1" stuff.  I have zero personal experience with their products but I might purchase one of their mounts for comparison purposes at some point.   Very satisfied with MI's products though.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Not mounting directly over the centerline of the rifle is more a function of the side saddle mount than the MI or RS Regulate mount.

I have a Gen 1 MI mount on a Bulgarian base rifle dedicated for Trijicon's MRO RDS. It's perfect IMO. My buddy has a Bulgarian as well and he has a 3x ACOG mounted on a RS Regulate mount and the reticle looks canted to my eye.

Mine may be canted as well, but because it's a RDS I wouldn't be able to tell.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not mounting directly over the centerline of the rifle is more a function of the side saddle mount than the MI or RS Regulate mount.

I have a Gen 1 MI mount on a Bulgarian base rifle dedicated for Trijicon's MRO RDS. It's perfect IMO. My buddy has a Bulgarian as well and he has a 3x ACOG mounted on a RS Regulate mount and the reticle looks canted to my eye.

Mine may be canted as well, but because it's a RDS I wouldn't be able to tell.
View Quote

AK Tolerances are a pain sometimes. RS Regulate is great because you can adjust it. However I greatly prefer the mount on the MI.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is everyone buying RS direct from the website or are their some good dealers/websites you would recommend to purchase?
View Quote

I found out recently that RS Regulate will post on instagram when they are shipping mounts out to their partner websites, so keep an eye out.
DLD-VIP and MilspecRetail sites are where I picked up mine.

Was an easy choice for me to go RS because MI does not have a direct upper ACOG mount for Yugo AK's.

Also have to mention the RS mounts are crazy lightweight.  RS mounts + TA44 + RMR came in all @ 12.3 ounces.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I found out recently that RS Regulate will post on instagram when they are shipping mounts out to their partner websites, so keep an eye out.
DLD-VIP and MilspecRetail sites are where I picked up mine.

Was an easy choice for me to go RS because MI does not have a direct upper ACOG mount for Yugo AK's.

Also have to mention the RS mounts are crazy lightweight.  RS mounts + TA44 + RMR came in all @ 12.3 ounces.

https://i.imgur.com/L3RnqE7.png?1
View Quote

I purchased one mount new when I received an in stock notification in my email from AIM. The other I snagged here on the EE. I’m subscribed to all their dealers for when mounts come back in stock. I really need an AKMR to try out an RMR I have. I could see using a T-1, as well, since I’m fond of that optic and have it on a few AR set-ups.

Following RS Regulate on Instagram now just in case. I’m not sure if they posted anything for that 302M I purchased from AIM, but I’ll keep a watch.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I ended up with the RS mount on my saiga.
It was expensive but overall I'm happy with it.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top