Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 3:05:07 PM EDT
I have some bonus money coming my way, and considering buying an AK (my first).  I was strongly considering a WASR-10, based on AK4774 OU reviews as well as Battlefield Vegas long term observations.  I've seen several rifles designated as RH10 coming out of Romania.

Are these basically WASR 10 rifles with a different front sight location above the gas black instead of forward on the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a "new" wasr. It was a complete turd, it wouldn't cycle. I dont buy any ak that's not arsenal. Some say over priced, but none say they dont work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a "new" wasr. It was a complete turd, it wouldn't cycle. I dont buy any ak that's not arsenal. Some say over priced, but none say they dont work.
View Quote
IDK about all that....

They will both function as expected. Might need a little lovin, but either will be a good range toy for you as a first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They are basic the same. Just different furniture, rear sight, flash hider, side rail and gas block.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a WASR but with a different gas system and flash hider instead of brake.  I personally have considered one and may still get one, but here are some downsides to it that have prevented me so far:

1. You obviously can't mount a bayonet

2. The optics rails is higher than standard and forces you to use special mounts made for the RH10 or M+M M10 rifles

3. You can't use "normal" muzzle devices on it because it doesn't appear to have a detent

4. No cleaning rod

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasr 10s are gtg. If you can buy in person then just check it over and make sure the front sight and gas block are straight(look down the top of the rifle and make sure everything lines up and looks straight)that the rivets look good and arent over/under pressed and that there is no excessive mag wobble with a mag inserted( there will probably be a little mag wobble just make sure it isnt excessive). If everything looks good then you will almost certainly have a workhorse that will last a long long time. The only thing you will want,to do is put some surplus wood on it. The current furniture is crap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm no wasr lover (don't even own one), but all of the comblock builders put out lemons. Arsenal recently had issues on their 107 front trunnions, and they've always had the paint/finishing issues. They're also not immune to canted sights, hell chase at Definitive Arms stopped installing his AR mag adapter on slr106 rifles, because Arsenal was all over the place in their specs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a WASR but with a different gas system and flash hider instead of brake.  I personally have considered one and may still get one, but here are some downsides to it that have prevented me so far:

1. You obviously can't mount a bayonet

2. The optics rails is higher than standard and forces you to use special mounts made for the RH10 or M+M M10 rifles

3. You can't use "normal" muzzle devices on it because it doesn't appear to have a detent

4. No cleaning rod

View Quote
Thanks, this is the sort of information I was looking for.  I'll probably stick with a WASR due to (2) and (3) (lack of bayo or cleaning rod aren't dealbreakers, but I'd prefer to stay with standard mounts and muzzle devices).
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to play Devil's advocate... If I was in the market for a new production AK (I build 'em now, almost as bad a disease as BRD) I'd look at Atlantic's Romanian build.  Only $120 more than a WASR on their site, and damn fine.

Attachment Attached File

Linky...
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah Ive been looking at the altantic stuff as well. Their stuff is top notch.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top