Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/24/2020 4:40:19 PM EDT
I've always preferred the AK-100 style stocks over the underfolding or other sidefolding options. Unfortunately, the Russian and Bulgarian offerings didn't come with good sling mounting options. For one, the swivel is located on the right side of the gun, which is kind of awkward for a right handed shooter. It is a rotating, traditional style swivel held in place by a piece of sheet metal folded on the far side of the mounting. It works fine for the military sling, but I wanted something that was easy to attach and detach. There are a lot of times when I don't want a sling on the gun. Also, the swivel is loud and jingly. So, I decided to experiment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After measuring the dimension of the sling slot, I realized that I had almost the perfect size for a QD sling stud. I wasn't anywhere able to find dimensions of the internal steel support trunnion for the buttstock, but based off my triangle folder, I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And boy was I fucking wrong. After drilling out the old sling swivel and pulling through the sheet metal tab, I gave it a go with a 1/2" cobalt drill bit and some cutting fluid. Barely even knicked it. I mean, the plastic around the trunnion was starting to smoke so I eased off and reconsidered. Yikes.  Before buggering anything up, I took the stock over to a buddy of mine so he could tear into it with his drill press. Made no difference at all. Still smoking HSS and Cobalt bits, no problem.

They used some kind of crazy russian hardened steel on this thing. Made a Lowes trip and got a carbide tipped bit. Finally, started making progress. But, you couldn't let it heat up too much or the plastic would start to get hot and melt. So, went slowly and finally defeated the enemy...
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After applying my tap and cutting sloooowly, I was left with a finished product.  It's a tight fit, so I might not bother with acraglass or another glue to hold it in place.
Attachment Attached File

Anyway, definitely a big improvement in the handling of the weapon. I haven't decided whether or not to add a front sling swivel or stick with a single point for now. Time will tell.  Just wanted to share this technique for those of you looking to upgrade.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you find it difficult to transition shoulders with the mount on the left side?

I prefer a mount on the right side for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you find it difficult to transition shoulders with the mount on the left side?

I prefer a mount on the right side for that reason.
View Quote
You can install the swivel on either side. Or both, actually.

In my case there is enough slack in the sling to allow its use from either shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, ok, nice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Results look good.

That said, who uses a masonry bit to drill metal???????
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Results look good.

View Quote
It was the only carbide bit I could find at Lowes. And it worked, sooooo...*shrugs*
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was the only carbide bit I could find at Lowes. And it worked, sooooo...*shrugs*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Results look good.

WECSOG rules!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Always wondered if something like this could be done, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
could have saved some drilling

https://www.echo93.com/adaptors
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Not really what I wanted. The QD swivel blocks access to the scope rail and might interfere with the folding stock. It also leaves the jangly sling swivel. Prefer my solution, pain included.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I haven't decided whether or not to add a front sling swivel or stick with a single point for now. Time will tell.  Just wanted to share this technique for those of you looking to upgrade.
View Quote
Nice mod!  I hate when you get into a project that looks simple but turned into a big f'n deal one you are too far to turn back. Glad it turned out nicely for you!

You don't need to mod the rifle any more to get the front of the sling mounted, but still retain full functionality of that Magpul sling.  What you need is the version of that sling that has the clip in the front and the QD in the rear.

MS3 Single QD Sling GEN2  MAG515

https://magpul.com/catalog/product/view/id/5713/s/ms3-single-qd-sling-gen-2/category/52/?mp_global_color=298

I use them on  my AKs

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice mod OP! I love that stock on the KP9.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice mod!  I hate when you get into a project that looks simple but turned into a big f'n deal one you are too far to turn back. Glad it turned out nicely for you!

You don't need to mod the rifle any more to get the front of the sling mounted, but still retain full functionality of that Magpul sling.  What you need is the version of that sling that has the clip in the front and the QD in the rear.

MS3 Single QD Sling GEN2  MAG515

https://magpul.com/catalog/product/view/id/5713/s/ms3-single-qd-sling-gen-2/category/52/?mp_global_color=298

I use them on  my AKs
https://i.imgur.com/PGpzv94.jpg
View Quote
Hey, thanks for the tip. I wasn't really looking forward to cutting into this nice forearm. And yeah, this has happened to me more than once!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top