Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2018 2:09:31 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a ak. What variant should I pull the trigger on and why.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
For currently manufactured rifles - Arsenal gets my vote.

If you come across an older Romanian built WASR (without a canted sight), you should be GTG as well.

Try to avoid anything made/remanufactured by CAI.

Watch out for IO made rifles.  PSA is building there own now as well, but I don't know what the quality is of them.  Rep at the outdoor show in Harrisburg, PA tried to tell me that the entire rifle was all 'forged' parts - even the stamped receiver.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy:
Arsenal
Norinco
Polytech
Valmet
Steyr Maadi
Galil (not Golani)
Galil Ace
Kassnar pre-bans
Mitchell Arms Pre-bans
VEPR

Buy once cry once on AK rifles. Don't cheap out and get a Century rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you live in Nevada you should get yourself something nice from Rifle Dynamics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you live in Nevada you should get yourself something nice from Rifle Dynamics.
View Quote
Damn you man! I think I might need that 703 Classic in my life now...
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
WASR 10  (new ones are great, when they're under $600, I consider them the perfect starter AK)
WBP Polish (either the classic, the CG1, or the Riley built one, I have one and they really ARE fantastic)
DAKM builds by Definitive Arms (if you can find them in stock)
Arsenal 107r (a bit overpriced, but it is what it is)
N-pap DF (although I might hesitate on that for a new owner, as underfolders are something most recommend as a second AK, not the first, as they can be a b!tch to shoot)

the fixed stock N-pap is an ok starter gun too, but I tend to lean towards the WASR as the Yugos take non standard furniture.

then on the used market

Norinco
O-pap
M70 ab2
Saiga
Vepr (though you're spending way over a grand at that point)

whatever you do, DON'T buy a Century C39v2 (or v1), a RAS47, and IO gun, or the PSA builds. Junk american guns (psa is the best of them, but that's not saying much).
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have thoughts on Arsenal milled models like the SLR-101s or SAM7?  For a first time AK owner should I go with a stamped receiver to get the original experience vs. milled?  For milled are there different things to check vs. stamped receiver guns when buying used?

Is 800ish a decent price for a used 101s?  I have no idea how much these guns depreciate from new (MSRP 1019)

Also should I consider 5.45 AK74 variant vs 7.62?  Which is more fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally I like Arsenal, Vepr, and the builds Atlantic has. For Arsenal if you can swing it I say go for a sam7 milled. They are smooth and really nice but a bit more heavy then the stamped versions. They are also a good bit more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have thoughts on Arsenal milled models like the SLR-101s or SAM7?  For a first time AK owner should I go with a stamped receiver to get the original experience vs. milled?  For milled are there different things to check vs. stamped receiver guns when buying used?

Is 800ish a decent price for a used 101s?  I have no idea how much these guns depreciate from new (MSRP 1019)

Also should I consider 5.45 AK74 variant vs 7.62?  Which is more fun to shoot?
View Quote
I've got a Zastava N PAP that I've put 1500 rounds through and it been an excellent shooting rifle;  I really like it a lot.

My other AK is an Arsenal SAM 7R that is currently my favorite rifle to shoot; it's been outstanding in every way.

If you can locate a milled Arsenal SAM7  and can afford the cost, that's definitely the way to go.

Stay far away from domestic built Century (but not their imports like the WASRs and PAPs) and anything from I.O.; they're both crap.

IMO, 7.62 x 39 is more fun to shoot, especially if you're looking for a break from 5.56 mm ARs.

Ammo is cheap and widely available.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top