Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/29/2016 10:15:31 PM EDT
With our 1-1-2017 ban coming into effect in Californication, I decided to add another AK to the stable. I have my Saiga IZ132 that I had turned into an AKM, but I restored it to "Sporter" so I don't have to register it.  With the Tasco reed dot, and sporter stock, it will be my hog buster hunting rifle.  With the impending ban, I figured if I was going to register an AK, I wanted it to be an underfolder. (After 1-1-2017 when we register, we get to un-pin the folding stock and loose the bullet button). I'll probably replace the wood grip with a Bakelite one, and use a Bulgarian handguard with palm swell.

I have this in route to my FFL.  It is made from a Hungarian AK63D parts kit, with a chrome lined, Green Mountain hammer forged barrel.  It was $699, plus another $95 to make it California legal (bullet button and fix stock).  Sure, it's not an Arsenal, but what the heck.  I just want a cheap underfolder.  I had a Yugo M70AB1 years ago, and regretted selling it. This gives me two AKs and three ARs, as well as assorted other semi-auto rifles.  

My main "fight a war when TSHTF and TEOTWAWKI" weapon is a mid-length 16" AR15 carbine, Magpulled out, Bushnell TRS-32 red dot, with a 1/7 twist barrel, loaded with MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTM  SMKs.  The AKs are just because.  Besides, I like having the Saiga sporter again.  Makes a great brush hunting rifle.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ak47-red-underfolder-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Visited it at the Local Gunshop.  It is in 10 day Californication jail.... Get it next Tuesday! FSB looks to be dead nuts on straight.  The Lower Parts kit is a double hook Texas Trigger AK FCG.  I has a REALLY slick trigger pull, probably about  3.5 to 4 pounds tops, with a crisp let off.  It also has a Chrome lined barrel, and a really cool grey parkerized finish!  I really like it better than a painted finish, even if that is more "AKish!"  

The handguard and pistol grip are typical Hungarian surplus.  Very good condition, and refinished with a sprayed on, "Russian Red" finish.  I am going to replace it with a Bulgarian palm swell handguard and Com-Block bakelite pistol grip.

I have a NOS Hungarian AK bayonet set, a NOS leather Hungarian AK sling, and even a spare Hungarian AK63D complete bolt assembly from a AK63D underfolder kit.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I am in love... Took it to the indoor 50 yard range today.  I fired about 100 rounds of Tulammo 122 FMJ with zero malfunctions.  They must have laser bore sighted it when they built it, because I just had to drift a tidge to one side, and raise the POS one full turn on the front sight.  POA = POI at 25 yards on 200 meter setting.  

This group was 11 rounds, semi-rapid fire (about 3 shots in two seconds) from a casual rest.  The Texas Trigger double hook FCG was smooth as silk, and helped.  

I replaced the awful Hungarian ugly wood pistol grip with a brown bakelite one I had.  The sling is a NOS Hungarian leather  AK sling (looks like a belt mated with a leather Romanian sling), and a correct NOS matching number Hungarian bayonet.

I really like the parkerized finish.  It looks to be a quality build.  Rivets all even and rounded, corners crisp on the receiver, FSB and gas block straight, chrome lined barrel, and the bolt and the trunnion are matching numbers. Fit and finish are first class.  The mag is an Izzy bakelite rivet blocked at 10 rounds.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice and with a matching number bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice and with a matching number bayonet.
View Quote

Thanks!

Still need to find the belt loop.  Hungarians use a separate belt loop and hanger.  Ebay has them, but with shipping is $22 from Hungary.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Here it is:  Replaced the Hungarian wood handguard with a Bulgarian palm swell one, and the wood pistol grip with a bakelite one.  The bakelite mag in the weapon is riveted to 10 rounds.  Original NOS Hungarian bayonet and leather sling.  The mag pouch is a Hungarian 5 cell shoulder bag.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
'POA = POI at 25 yards on 200 meter setting'

Is that a 200m zero? Typically you would zero at 50 yds with the sight on '1' which is also about a 100 yd zero and serves to index all the rear sight positions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
'POA = POI at 25 yards on 200 meter setting'

Is that a 200m zero? Typically you would zero at 50 yds with the sight on '1' which is also about a 100 yd zero and serves to index all the rear sight positions.
View Quote

POI/POA at 50 gives you a 'battle sight" of 300 yards,  25 yard POA/POI is a 200 yard zero.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
50/200 with 5.56 but 7.62x39 is 50/100 with rear sight on '1'.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I used the Hornady Ballistic calculator for my 124s at 2400 fps, POA/POI at 25 yards and 200 yards.  It works.  Im a couple high at 100.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top