Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/18/2021 10:36:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, just thought I'd share, but for anyone with a gf3 trying to use the ultimak, you'll notice your piston will likely bind when you torque the screws. I for the life of me couldn't figure this out, so I emailed ultimak and basically what they said was:

PSA mounts thier gas block a smidge high ". 0012-.0015" higher than combloc. Solution? Cut three strips off a beer can and shim the ultimak off your barrel. Works like a charm, but you'll likely have some accuracy issues (at least I did). A better solution is probably automotive shimming stock.

Just sharing in case anyone else has this issue.

Stay warm my friends.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Another fine reason to avoid ultimaks or us made AK's if you ask me.

OP thank you for sharing this.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks! The rifle has been good, but shoots a lot better with something on a side rail for sure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ultimak works fine and fits most rifles

AK rifles = Tolerances are a bitch.

Kind of the name of the game imo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ultimak works fine and fits most rifles

AK rifles = Tolerances are a bitch.

Kind of the name of the game imo.
View Quote

True! I spent days trying to figure it out. I even ordered the ultimak shim kit only to find it is wayyyyy too thick. Customer service at ultimak was cool too. I may try it again with automotive shimming stock. I can't help but wonder if some of my issues where due to the beer can layers shifting or binding.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top