Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/6/2020 12:59:02 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm sitting on a pile of Golden Tiger FMJ. Unfortunately, my local ranges don't allow bimetal jacket rounds, and the closest range doesn't allow steel cased. I need to testfire my rifle to make sure it works before sending the barrel to be SBRed. I'm thinking of getting Prvi Partizan 123 grain pointed soft point ammo. If I'm spreading my cheeks to get brass cased, I'd like ammo that is also fairly accurate and has good terminal performance. My goal for this rifle deer hunting. Has anyone had any experience with the accuracy or terminal effectiveness of this ammo? Trying to decide if I want to buy 1000 rounds and save some for SHTF or just buy enough to do my test firing.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunate that your range doesnt allow any steel case, as wolf makes non magnetic 7.62x39.

This is probably how the SP preforms:

Best Cheap 7.62x39mm? Sellier & Bellot 123gr SP Gel Test
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you in Missouri that you can't find an outdoor range to test fire at?

There are several Department of Conservation ranges located throughout the state that are free and open to the public.

Shooting Ranges in Missouri.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you in Missouri that you can't find an outdoor range to test fire at?

There are several Department of Conservation ranges located throughout the state that are free and open to the public.

Shooting Ranges in Missouri.
View Quote

I'm in Kansas City. The closest one prohibits magnetic projectiles. The second closest one appears to be closed due to covid19. The indoor range two miles from my house only allows brass cased, non magnetic projectile ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
That PPU soft point is your best best for expansion, not seen any gel tests but soft point 7.62x39 seems to come in two types of bullets, the semi soft point in 123 or 154 gr. and the PPU which looks like a 30-30 bullet, much stubbier & rounded with a much shorter jacket.

You might have some feed issues with the PPU so try a box first before buying a case, it runs fine in my WASR, Draco & AK63DS. I pick it up from my local Cabelas repackaged as Herter’s.

If I remember correctly the PPU 7.62x39 stuff tagged as PSP is the semi soft point and the SP RN (soft point round nose?) is the stubby 30-30 profile.

I think Herter’s uses the same designation for their brass case 7.62x39 although it doesn’t show on their terrible website.

Also check out Geco for cheap brass case 7.62x39 fmj. Usually not hard to find for 40 cents/rnd, it’s what I stock up on when I have to shoot indoors.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm hoping to stick with spitzer bullets since I want to maintain the same trajectory as FMJ, and am worried about round nose jamming. I have shot similar ammo in an AR15 which caused feeding issues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed, the semi soft points seem to perform better than the hollow points so they’re a pretty good balance between reliability & expansion. Out to 100 yards I see no noticeable difference in point of impact between the semi soft PPU and the round nose PPU.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top