Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2016 9:34:46 AM EDT
For awhile now several internet reviewers etc...have given these scopes a very favorable review. Based on that I bought one recently from optics planet. Good service, great price...happy with that part of the deal. I mounted the scope to an Arsenal 107 using a Zenit rail and weaver tactical rings....a good set up. The scope is barely use able.

The glass is ok. I don't mind the weight, it adjusts well, eye box is ok...it's the reticle that's a problem. It's fucking tiny. This is not a precision rifle scope....with any kind of brushy background etc...the tiny hashmarks  are easily lost.  I understand my eyes aren't 20 anymore but I don't have this problem with the Vortex Strike Eagle, Burris Mac, or my Acogs---yes I know the ACOG costs a lot more but that has nothing to do with the size of the reticle. I had planned to buy several of these to outfit some rifles....think I will go Strike Eagle instead. Had not seen this mentioned in any of the various "reviews" floating around so I thought I would share my observation
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting.  I didnt feel there was that much difference between the two..... using the BDC reticle at 6x.

I own the MTAC and Strike Eagle as well.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did a side-by-side comparison of the ACSS 5x reticle with my TA31.  The ACSS lines are thicker, but both are easily visible.

This past Wednesday, I took out the 5x ACSS to the range.  It was easy to hit steel at 550 yards after zeroing. 

It was my first time using it.  The reticle works as advertised and I find it easy to see.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's interesting.  I didnt feel there was that much difference between the two..... using the BDC reticle at 6x.

I own the MTAC and Strike Eagle as well.
View Quote

Side by side with my Strike Eagles the Vortex are much easier to see. The 300 yard "tip" on the ACSS is barely visible...probably fine on nicely painted steel, bright light but I was using mine at the ranch, Twilight with lots of brush in the background and anything other than the chevron disappeared.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Low light is definitely where you see a big difference in high end optics vs budget models, and between milspec and not so milspec. Sorry your experience is disappointing

Z
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Low light is definitely where you see a big difference in high end optics vs budget models, and between milspec and not so milspec. Sorry your experience is disappointingZ
View Quote

True. I was shooting an ACOG and the Vortex side by side and the difference was notable though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

True. I was shooting an ACOG and the Vortex side by side and the difference was notable though.
View Quote

I dont know how that ACOG pulls in so much light.  I love it in low light.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dont know how that ACOG pulls in so much light.  I love it in low light.
View Quote

I have four of them. Unfortunately, at $1200 apiece, I probably won't buy anymore....
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll buy that PA from you if you decide to sell it and get another model. If we can agree on a price
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For awhile now several internet reviewers etc...have given these scopes a very favorable review. Based on that I bought one recently from optics planet. Good service, great price...happy with that part of the deal. I mounted the scope to an Arsenal 107 using a Zenit rail and weaver tactical rings....a good set up. The scope is barely use able.

The glass is ok. I don't mind the weight, it adjusts well, eye box is ok...it's the reticle that's a problem. It's fucking tiny. This is not a precision rifle scope....with any kind of brushy background etc...the tiny hashmarks  are easily lost.  I understand my eyes aren't 20 anymore but I don't have this problem with the Vortex Strike Eagle, Burris Mac, or my Acogs---yes I know the ACOG costs a lot more but that has nothing to do with the size of the reticle. I had planned to buy several of these to outfit some rifles....think I will go Strike Eagle instead. Had not seen this mentioned in any of the various "reviews" floating around so I thought I would share my observation
View Quote

I've never seen that on mine.  The "big issue" with the current 1-6x in 300BLK/7.62 IMO is the eye relief.   It's tough for me to get it set up right on an AK.   Works great on an AR but for the AK I always want it a little farther forward FWIW.  I guess a NATO or Magpul stock would help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've never seen that on mine.  The "big issue" with the current 1-6x in 300BLK/7.62 IMO is the eye relief.   It's tough for me to get it set up right on an AK.   Works great on an AR but for the AK I always want it a little farther forward FWIW.  I guess a NATO or Magpul stock would help.
View Quote

I set mine up in an RS Regulate mount after the first trip with the Zenit for that very reason. It's fine standing, seated or from a bench....but in prone, it's a good way to get a black eye!

The Regulate (303?) allows me to move it forward a little, just enough with a standard stock. The scope itself because of the design, only so many places you can put the rings so movement there is limited...The other solution I had considered was to add an AR15 stock to rifle so that I could adjust it as needed for prone or standing..... The 107 I have it mounted on is actually a Legion fixed stock version vs. the solid side folder.

I shot the rifle out to 400 yards this weekend and it was no trouble with WPA ammo to hammer an IDPA steel silhouette every shot from the bed of my truck. I kinda wish they had put the same reticle in the x39 as they have in the 5.56 version, just a series of dots of reasonable size.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Aren't they illuninated by battery with brightness settings? I would think turning the illumination on would help for in the woods, it does for me. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aren't they illuninated by battery with brightness settings? I would think turning the illumination on would help for in the woods, it does for me. 
View Quote

They are.    

Primary Arms 1-6x And 1-8x SFP Scopes With ACSS Reticle Comparison And Review (HD)
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the ACSS in my PA3x optic. The same one Robski recommends. At first I thought I wasted my money. But after training with it, I can't be happier.
Especially after dialing the eye piece in. Sux you don't like it. I am sure someone here will buy it off you. Good gear.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several Primary Arms optics, that have the ACSS. It works! The fixed ACSS is small and takes a little time to get use to it. If your not happy with it. I’d sell and then take a look at the Primary Arms SLx6 1-6x24mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-RAPTOR-7.62 Reticle. This works better with older eyes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Small reticles are a pain.

Check out the above. I fixed the ACSS system.

Can you imagine trying to find that tiny ass reticle at 1x if the battery fails? Nerp.

The 4x is a bit better but even that horshoe is not that impressive without the battery.

With the battery on the old PAC4x was still a bit faded.

The ACSS acog has much brighter illumination but still suffers from washout when shooting from dark to bright areas.

When you kick on a weapon light good luck finding the reticle quickly.

I like the ACSS but it does have its shortcomings.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Did I miss something here? Isn't the PA 1-6 a second focal plane (SFP)? I have one and its reticle is huge.

Or are we talking about the front focal plane (FFP) version?  If this is the one, then it isn't meant to be used without illumination at 1x.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did I miss something here? Isn't the PA 1-6 a second focal plane (SFP)? I have one and its reticle is huge.

Or are we talking about the front focal plane (FFP) version?  If this is the one, then it isn't meant to be used without illumination at 1x.
View Quote
PA has both. The SFP has been out for years.  The FFP is a much more recent release with updated/improved glass.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top