Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/9/2020 1:49:06 PM EDT
So I have a SLR-104UR that has been sitting in the safe since I bought it a few years ago.

BC54 first serial numbers.

I checked GB and KVAR has been selling some in auction for $3150 PLUS S&H!!

I listed mine!  Crazy to think it was 1/3 that price 2+ years ago!

I understand that they are no longer being imported, but what dried that up?  COVID?  Import restrictions?  

Crazy times!

~Will
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of stuff was less then it is now, guns, ammo..... as to why the 104 is more expensive;  availability, ARSENAL  discontinue making 104 series over 2 years ago, so whatever is here , is it. they also discontinued  make the 106 series  as well

then add in the COVID, panic buying because of it plus the all too common election year  panic buying ,  that just drives the prices even further up

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/about-the-slr-104fr-series.html

but I'm set, bought a SLR106-UR back when it was available, paid a little less then 1K, and then made it a SBR

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda funny I was complaining about my 104ur costing 1399 back in 2017 haha!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

but I'm set, bought a SLR106-UR back when it was available, paid a little less then 1K, and then made it a SBR

https://i.imgur.com/oE0TUFN.jpg
View Quote

Just curious, how do you register an NFA SBR like that when the receiver (I'm assuming of course) was manufactured and serialized by Arsenal as a Title I rifle?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a real shame because the 104UR is one of the most awesome AK's Arsenal made. I wish I was around for the days of cheap AK's or even parts kits that were in stock.

Now a bare bones WASR is on GB for 1599 and I have 0 doubt it will sell.

Made me glad I got my AK's before the panic set in. That 1k Bulgy 74 I got back in June is probably worth double or more now. Kinda kick myself for not buying the SAR 2 he had too for the same price.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just curious, how do you register an NFA SBR like that when the receiver (I'm assuming of course) was manufactured and serialized by Arsenal as a Title I rifle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The owner applies to “manufacture” an SBR using a Title 1 firearm and once approved may legally “manufacture” an SBR by adding a stock to a pistol, cutting barrel under 16” on a rifle, etc. it’s not “registering” an SBR but “manufacturing” one by simply modifying an existing firearm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
when you fill out a FORM1, it's  a Application to Make and Register a Firearm, so you are doing both
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this thread is about the 104, but K-Var just put some 107's out for sale
SLR-107ur
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of there good quality line has been discontinued. I bought a SLR-107R this year thinking it would be a good rifle. I would never sell your rifle because Arsenal used to make good quality rifles. The company now sucks badly. The SLR-107R only accepts proprietary magazines which I don’t have. They will only except Circle 10 magazines which cost $44.00 dollars a mag. I tried Magpul magazines and they won’t lock into the magwell at all. The magwell also damages the magazine. I now have a very expensive paperweight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They will only except Circle 10 magazines which cost $44.00 dollars a mag. I tried Magpul magazines and they won’t lock into the magwell at all. The magwell also damages the magazine. I now have a very expensive paperweight.
View Quote

yeah, I had issues with the TAPCO GALIL/GOLINI 5.56 mags not fitting. what I did was to to shave a tiny bit off the rear tab of  the TAPCO GALIL/GOLINI mags, not much just enough so it locked in tight,   there is still plenty of "meat" left on the tab where it wouldn't compromise the integrity of the tab  and a tiny  bit of sanding on the sides to get it to lock in the mag well of my 106. once I did that and found out it works perfectly, I bought several more cheap TAPCO mags  and did the same mods on them

for just a couple minutes of work it was worth doing that on a 15 dollar mag and not spend 45 bucks for one  circle 10 mag. I only have 1-20 round circle 10 mag and that is the one that came with the gun, the rest are TAPCO

3 TAPCO mags for the same prices as one circle 10, what's not to like about that
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most of there good quality line has been discontinued. I bought a SLR-107R this year thinking it would be a good rifle. I would never sell your rifle because Arsenal used to make good quality rifles. The company now sucks badly. The SLR-107R only accepts proprietary magazines which I don’t have. They will only except Circle 10 magazines which cost $44.00 dollars a mag. I tried Magpul magazines and they won’t lock into the magwell at all. The magwell also damages the magazine. I now have a very expensive paperweight.
View Quote

I hear you, but - I am shifting focus and a move to Liberal Gun Restrictive Hawaii - it would be a PITA to sell there.

So I am selling now while the price is beneficial to me, and possibly to someone else who wants one of the 'discontinued' & 'quality made' SLR-104UR's [BC54]

~Will
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I quickly sold the three junk ones that I bought. Too many issues to get into, but I wouldn't recommend one. In contrast, the 2020 WASR I purchased around the same time didn't have near the issues the 107R's had. In a nutshell, the 107R is an overpriced POS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The owner applies to "make" an SBR using a Title 1 firearm and once approved may legally "make" an SBR by adding a stock to a pistol, cutting barrel under 16" on a rifle, etc. It is "registering" an SBR but also "making" one by simply modifying an existing firearm.

Or you can make one from a Title I firearm 100% created by you if you want (like from an 80% receiver that you complete). You should
adopt the existing serial number if the firearm already has one (which it will if a FFL manufactured or imported it after 1968). If you create a new firearm then you get to make up a serial number.
FIFY

Quoted:
when you fill out a FORM1, it's  a Application to Make and Register a Firearm, so you are doing both
This.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Circle 10 mags are not proprietary mags, they fit in all my guns, and I haven’t found an AK mag that didn’t fit either of my 2 SLR-107’s. Did you try any surplus steel mags? Magpul AK mags are less than ideal to determine any magwell issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine just sold for $3100.

For.

An.

AK.

2020: is Weirdest Year.

~Will
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Congrats.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of what you are saying makes any sense. If you are having problems with the magazine fit why don’t you send it back to Arsenal to repair or replace it? Did you try any steel magazines?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For.

An.

AK.

View Quote

yeah, anytime I see or hear a AK  being sold  for a tremendous amount of money....I just have to laugh, laugh and laugh

Oh and it's not the first time AKs were being sold for huge money..........far from it, every panic buy brings new record for prices .

I sold a one of my MAADIs that was  beat up and looked as if was  drug down a gravel road, that I bought in 95 or 96 for something under 150 bucks, and sold it for 900 bucks,  in one of the panic buys during  Obama................it didn't last long on a gun board WTS ad............and the guy was happy to pay that price, KA-CHICK
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My 104-Ur is one of a small list of guns that I truly regret parting ways with.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

By why I’ve held onto mine for so dang long.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

None of what you are saying makes any sense. If you are having problems with the magazine fit why don’t you send it back to Arsenal to repair or replace it? Did you try any steel magazines?
View Quote

Magpul AK mags don’t fit in any AK. They all require light sending and fitting to work properly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Magpul AK mags don’t fit in any AK. They all require light sending and fitting to work properly.
View Quote

don't have this problem.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

They seem to fit fine in my two arsenal SAM7s. I mostly use the short ones for bench shooting. The rest of my mags are circle 10s.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

don't have this problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't have this problem.

I've never had to fit any Magpul mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of 10 AK-74 PMAG’s I’ve had to slightly trim the rear locking tab on about half. They do not have a consistent length from one to the next. Stick with real mags...magpul for the range only.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The SLR-107R only accepts proprietary magazines which I don’t have. They will only except Circle 10 magazines which cost $44.00 dollars a mag.
View Quote

I'm not sure what is going on, but please don't spread this false information. The Circle 10 7.62x39 mags are standard milspec pattern AK mags. If your rifle accepts Circle 10 mags it's going to take any standard AK mag, if it can't then there is either an issue with the other mags or something going on with the rifle. Have you tried any milsurp mags or contacted Arsenal for potential warranty repair? Though I don't have anything in particular against Magpul, I would not use them as a standard for an AK being in spec.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
If you're having tight mag issues, you can usually just Dremel down the top of the mag catch.  The geometry of this problem is actually really simple.  

Century likes to grind them down too far so that it'll fit plastic mags really easily but this can cause other mags to sit so low you have failures to feed.  The solution in that case is to install a new magazine catch and fit that.  For example my WASR-10 has an East German mag catch that I fitted.  I can use PMAGs, Circle 10s, TAPCOs, whatever because I fitted the catch so they all work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you're having tight mag issues, you can usually just Dremel down the top of the mag catch.  The geometry of this problem is actually really simple.  

Century likes to grind them down too far so that it'll fit plastic mags really easily but this can cause other mags to sit so low you have failures to feed.  The solution in that case is to install a new magazine catch and fit that.  For example my WASR-10 has an East German mag catch that I fitted.  I can use PMAGs, Circle 10s, TAPCOs, whatever because I fitted the catch so they all work.
View Quote

I’d rather trim a $10 mag lug than the mag catch on what amounts to a $3000+ rifle right now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what is going on, but please don't spread this false information. The Circle 10 7.62x39 mags are standard milspec pattern AK mags. If your rifle accepts Circle 10 mags it's going to take any standard AK mag, if it can't then there is either an issue with the other mags or something going on with the rifle. Have you tried any milsurp mags or contacted Arsenal for potential warranty repair? Though I don't have anything in particular against Magpul, I would not use them as a standard for an AK being in spec.
View Quote

This.  The Circle 10s are great mags BECAUSE they are milspec.  Magpul does what they do great but for an AK mag I think there are better options.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Dang. Wonder what that old Gordon Tech SLR-95 sitting in the back of one of my safes is worth then?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’d rather trim a $10 mag lug than the mag catch on what amounts to a $3000+ rifle right now.
View Quote

Absolutely agree. The only exception would be if the rifle is actually out of spec and won't seat milsurp magazines, but I would never modify the rifle to fit the likes of Tapco or Magpul mags.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Absolutely agree. The only exception would be if the rifle is actually out of spec and won't seat milsurp magazines, but I would never modify the rifle to fit the likes of Tapco or Magpul mags.
View Quote

The couple dozen circle 10 and Russian mags lock into my rifle flawlessly. About half my Pmags would insert and remove smoothly after about 10 mag changes. The other half were so tight that if you managed to lock them in they would be a real bear to remove. They’re fixed now, but just goes back to the point....magpul rocks the AR world but their AK mags are range toys that fall between cheap tapco mags and good surplus mags.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd totally sell with that kind of gain.  Hell, I've sold 14 AR-15's in the last couple of months just because I was making $400-500 more than I had in them.  At a $1500-2k profit, I'd be the road runner!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Skip the 107Rs. Criticism on them is valid, but not all Arsenal rifles as a whole. There's good reason to believe that the 107R's are outsourced to ISD in Bulgaria, and the quality is definitely not what Circle 10 produces. However, the milled Arsenals like the SAM7 series are still going strong. The milled guns are Arsenal AD's bread and butter. It is what they have a passion for and what they do best. It's what they do for their military contracts. The pre-107R stamped guns are great too, but when it comes to Bulgarian Arsenals, milled is where it's at. Mine are at least on the same level of quality as my older Arsenals. People complaining about the finish being crap today need to realize that it was always like that. In fact, the finish on my newer SAM7s seem to hold up better than my older milled and stamped Bulgarian Arsenals.

The Arsenal-imported SGL series are a whole other animal and are top notch all around (same with the later Fime-imported ones), but as everyone knows they've been gone for over half a decade now
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
a lot of stuff was less then it is now, guns, ammo..... as to why the 104 is more expensive;  availability, ARSENAL  discontinue making 104 series over 2 years ago, so whatever is here , is it. they also discontinued  make the 106 series  as well

then add in the COVID, panic buying because of it plus the all too common election year  panic buying ,  that just drives the prices even further up

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/about-the-slr-104fr-series.html

View Quote

Looks like pic was taken with 1st ever flip phone that had a built in camera
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I got a 104fr triangle side folder and wont sell that sucker for a long time. I always wanted to get the 107fr to go with it but i never did. Id still hold on to the gun. Find family to keep it if nothing else. I think they will go up a lot more.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a gun that I sold off that I'm glad it's gone. It was a bucket list gun for me and when I got it and shot it I hated it. It wasn't worth the $1300 I spent on it and glag I didn't sbr it. Only other gun I feel that way is my sbr'd ps90. I would get out of it if I could.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's a gun that I sold off that I'm glad it's gone. It was a bucket list gun for me and when I got it and shot it I hated it. It wasn't worth the $1300 I spent on it and glag I didn't sbr it. Only other gun I feel that way is my sbr'd ps90. I would get out of it if I could.
View Quote

What didn’t you like?  I’d never pay today’s prices, but for the $1200 I paid I think it was the best value PDW on the market.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I always said I'd sell mine if I could get over $3k for it, but I don't wanna. I guess I'll set the bar up to 4k
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my SLR104UR, much better gun after SBR'ing it, super soft shooting and handles very nice, I don't see myself ever selling it.

And BTW, you can sell it, I sold a SBR'd CZ Scorpion Evo, where I had my name engraved, didn't bother them at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I kick myself in the ass everytime I remember that I could have bought one but put it off until later and then they went poof.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Makes me wonder what my Bulgy Krink would go for?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love my SLR104UR, much better gun after SBR'ing it, super soft shooting and handles very nice, I don't see myself ever selling it.

And BTW, you can sell it, I sold a SBR'd CZ Scorpion Evo, where I had my name engraved, didn't bother them at all.
View Quote

IMHO, the barrel is the best place to engrave an AK.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I kick myself in the ass everytime I remember that I could have bought one but put it off until later and then they went poof.
View Quote

When the 104FR's started drying up and the UR's were the only factory 74s left on GB I was telling people to do just that.  They were $1344 all day long from a few sellers.  Then one day they "went poof" and prices began climbing immediately.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When the 104FR's started drying up and the UR's were the only factory 74s left on GB I was telling people to do just that.  They were $1344 all day long from a few sellers.  Then one day they "went poof" and prices began climbing immediately.
View Quote

I paid $1750 for mine, NIB, about a year ago, they were going for more shortly afterwards. All in all, after tax stamp and gunsmith work, I'm about $2500 in.

I also have a PSAK-74 and a Saiga 223 that I'm trying to decide if converting is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#45]
They're great little rifles once chopped.  Look at it this way...as they were priced before all of this shit started...where else are you getting a reliable intermediate rifle caliber PDW with an 8" or shorter barrel for less than $2k, other than the 104UR?  The B&T APC is probably the next closest competitor, at double the cost.  Add in 7N6, which I'd argue is more lethal and flexible than 5.56 in a barrel this short, and you have a winner. Especially if you can get past the lousy optic mounting options or you're sticking to irons.  They also have one of the best side folding stocks out there.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top