Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/5/2017 5:13:17 AM EDT
Sorry if this not the right place, But I would like info on Polytech SVD rifles. A guy here in New Zealand is selling both 308 and 7.62x54r
SVDs made by Polytech, apparently. His advertising description is not the best, so I am trying to do the homework before potential purchase.

Specifically markings on genuine Chinese made SVDs both civilian and military, and any other verifying info.

I hope these two gentlemen don't mind me using the bat signal on them @dragunov and @TX-Zen

All info would be welcome, Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you bat signal me in about two weeks when I get back in country? I can take photos of my Norinco NDM86 marks then if you like, but not sure what kind of marks the Polytech would have. I don't believe any are in the US but maybe Her Berg can elaborate

My advice would be to have him send good photos of all the components, rear sight leaf, stock, receiver and all that. Should be easy to tell if it's a good condition rifle
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TX-Zen , the rifles are brand new. I knew Norinco made the NDN86, and saw a reference in an old archived thread here on Arfcom
which briefly mentions a Polytech version called PDM86. Other than that info is rockinghorse poo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Here is a picture from the add,
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Take my info with a grain of salt as I don't really know much about Chinese or Russian SVD's.  With that said, the rifle appears to have an SVDS style flash hider, but also appears to have a bayonet lug.  To me, that suggests to me that it could be modified somehow as a bayonet couldn't fit and I don't think anyone would forge a front sight base with flash hider and bayonet lug together.  I can't say for sure though.

Edit: I typed in polytech svd on google image and found a pic of a rifle with the same configuration as the pic so it may be a factory configuration.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Didnt realize you guys could own guns like that in NZ. I assumed NZ participated in Australia's goofy gun ban.

That's a beautiful looking rifle and I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take my info with a grain of salt as I don't really know much about Chinese or Russian SVD's.  With that said, the rifle appears to have an SVDS style flash hider, but also appears to have a bayonet lug.  To me, that suggests to me that it could be modified somehow as a bayonet couldn't fit and I don't think anyone would forge a front sight base with flash hider and bayonet lug together.  I can't say for sure though.

Edit: I typed in polytech svd on google image and found a pic of a rifle with the same configuration as the pic so it may be a factory configuration.
View Quote
That would be done to satisfy legal requirements. SVDS style "muzzle brake" is ok, SVD "flash hider" is not. The 308 Tiger I had had the same set up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didnt realize you guys could own guns like that in NZ. I assumed NZ participated in Australia's goofy gun ban.

That's a beautiful looking rifle and I hope it works out for you.
View Quote
Our laws are ok here. We do have reasonably strict licensing requirements. and registration for evil black rifles if they have big magazines
and pistol grips. Same rifle with 7 rnd mag and thumb hole stock no registration required. So there is a bit of stupidity involved in the legislation.

A licensed collector can buy any full auto machine gun he wants, just not allowed to ever fire it
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, Id love one of those in the states....
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top