Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2020 2:05:04 AM EDT
Hello,

I'm new to the AR Forums, and have been collecting AR's, AK's, and other firearms for a few years.

Today I purchased a unique variant that I can't find much information on, and I'd like your help.

Today I bought a Polytech Legend National Match with a 16" heavy barrel with 8 Polytech Chrome Followers. Typically, the National Match versions are 20" barrels. All of the serial numbers match, and the receiver has all of the normal markings as a National Match version.

Is this a Frankenstein gun?

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

They only came with the longer barrel 20"

Someone cut it down after it was imported here.Not hard to do and if done correctly looks factory

You see this a lot with RPK's (aka Khyber Pass )
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Still, don't abuse it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Polytech Legend milled receiver with a barrel that may or may not have been shortened. Just because most of the NM rifles had a longer barrel does not mean it was cut down. It is possible it was imported that way. OP does the box have the Styrofoam liner? It looks like one of the original shipping box's available on Polytech's website and a NM would probably not fit in that package. The mags alone will fetch a pretty penny if you so choose to sell.

I also need to thank you for buying that rifle and saving me from deflating my gun money stash as I was also in contact with the owner and damm near pulled the trigger.

All that said you have purchased an AK that will increase in value regardless the barrel issue. In fact it is probably a better choice for a shooter than most...just my 02.

Take it to the range with a shitload of ammo and run the hell out of it and let us know what you think.

Oh and welcome to the board and please consider throwing a peanut for a membership. It will be a lot easier to navigate your fair share of abuse in GD like the rest of us...
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the comments. Is there a way to upload pictures on this site without using a URL? As in, can I attach pictures to a post?

The box doesn't have the foam. I think I may reach out to Keng and see if they can look up the serial number on it. I really want resolution on this.

Regardless, as long as it's accurate and shoots well, I'm happy with my purchase! The wood, receiver, and barrel are in great condition!

Thank you again!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpecialAR:
Thank you for the comments. Is there a way to upload pictures on this site without using a URL? As in, can I attach pictures to a post?

The box doesn't have the foam. I think I may reach out to Keng and see if they can look up the serial number on it. I really want resolution on this.

Regardless, as long as it's accurate and shoots well, I'm happy with my purchase! The wood, receiver, and barrel are in great condition!

Thank you again!
View Quote

Just seeing this.  I'm happy to post for you.  Shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
They were not cut down and are a rare but original variant. Mine was purchased directly from KFS via an ad in the Shotgun News.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
huh, never saw a LEGEND with that piece like that riveted above the axis pins, it can't be a scope rail. or if it is, it's the weirdest  looking  scope rail I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I had heard about the 16" variant over the years, but never had seen one apart from the pic above.  I was told that the triangular tab on the side where one would expect a mount for a scope rail, was a fill in for a mount that never materialized in production.  Today you can by a scope mount from Kengs for the National Match, but you must remove the fill in which many, myself included, are reluctant to do in the face of reducing the perceived value of the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The piece riveted to the side is indeed a filler of some sort. It has no groove or dovetail and there is simply no way that it could serve as a base for a scope mount. As far as I know, no bass or mount that uses the existing rivet holes exists.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
i have examples of both rifles , milled reciever National match rifles , one un altered pre ban , and the later shortened neutered version , i havnt been able to figure out how to post pics , i have a group photo of all of my Chicom AK rifles that has both the NM rifles in it , but can not find a tutorial and i guess im too stupid to figure out , are you suppose to first upload to a hosting page and then the URL to here? i cant just upload from my end?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Cool pic. Excellent collection!

I see you gave yourself a Christmas present today.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
i did , i figured i really enjoy the diversity of the forum , and everytime i stop in someone makes me laugh ,so i will be sticking around this time so why not upgrade

thats just the chicoms , excuse the loose scussion on the MAK90 i was cleaning them and i wanted to get a family photo but was losing light so being rushed i overlooked it , thats my favorite for some reason for plinking
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice find.  Kengs had a bunch of 20" guns left over that no one wanted apparently so they had them cut down and sold them in the SGN shortly after the 1994 ban for $699 I think.  Note that the 20" guns had a longer buttstock which you can see in the picture above.  At the time for short money you could contact Kengs and they would sell you the shorter regular type 3 AK buttstock so it would look correct.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top