Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/3/2019 9:03:30 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm shopping for the correct stock for my Spiker.  Whoever owned it before me tapco'd it out.  I'm in process of correcting that.  My question is how do I identify the correct stock.  Is there anything unique to it I should look for when shopping??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck finding a set, it's usually expensive; you might find some on the EE.

Usually looks like this and is called Manchurian Chu wood:

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So, no special markings, that sucks, I'm not the greatest at telling what species is what on wood.

How about the butt plate and sling hardware, anything distinguishing?  I know the plate should be smooth with a trap door.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Besides the bayonet groove in the front handguard, no other particularly distinguishing features that I'm aware of; you'll know it's Chu wood because it's got that yellow color and grain to it, unlike the majority of surplus wood furniture. The angle of the stock is also different, as you can see in the comparison photo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a couple guys I'm talking too, just wanted to make sure the ID was right.  One has kind of a shiny finish in the pictures, so I'm guessing its been polyurethaned.  The other doesn't have the metal hardware, so I'm kind of hunting down pricing on that as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
They come with a lacquer or shellac finish which gives them an additional yellow hue.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Best I can remember, the light colored wood stocked Norincos had a shiny finish. The light colored wood stocked Polytechs had a dull finish. The Polytech “Legend” series had mahogany colored stock set that had shiny finish.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Google “Polytech Parts”, it is the website of Keng’s firearms. They were importers at one time. They sell parts but they aren’t cheap.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
For the Type 56 example, what type of stain would you use to achieve that dark brown color?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a number of ways to achieve the "russian red", but ideally you use a lacquer or shellaq as they did.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking to match the color of the stock set in the picture posted earlier in this thread, I’m pretty sure I have seen Minwax Polyshades polyeurothane “Pecan” used.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up finding a guy with an NOS stock.  It should be here next week.  If the finish is too shiny, is there any safe way to dull it?  Maybe 0000 steel wool?  Damn, I forgot how much I hate dealing with wood finishes.  I love the way it looks, but making it look that way sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up finding a guy with an NOS stock.  It should be here next week.  If the finish is too shiny, is there any safe way to dull it?  Maybe 0000 steel wool?  Damn, I forgot how much I hate dealing with wood finishes.  I love the way it looks, but making it look that way sucks.
View Quote
That's probably your best bet.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top