Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/1/2020 10:43:29 PM EDT
Admittedly, zero AK experience, hence the reason that I came here.....

I ran across some mags, these mags specifically:

Attachment Attached File

....cheap. Description is "Polish AK-47". (Vague as shit, I know). I trust the vendor 100%, but ARs are my thing and the 2 SKS carbines that I own are the only X39 experience that I have. Are these a generic mag with a generic label?

Are they recognizable as a common denominator in the AK circle or just another cheap ass clone?

In AR terms....are they Pmags or Troy mags?  

Any input appreciated,  I've got a few pals wanting to buy cheap/stack deep.

Tig

Edit to fix all caps, please do not do that. Notice no other thread title is in all caps. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If they have metal reinforced feedlips and metal locking tabs, g2g.
Guessing they don't, still probably polish made but just junk/range mags.

99% will agree, any old/new Romanian steel mags are the go to. Lots of guys saying the Korean steel mags are good and can be had a few bucks cheaper. Stay away from Croation(bough 10 on a sale and only 3 fit my magwell, the rest needed HEAVY dremmel work to fit).

Pmags if your desperate will work but some material might need light sanding to lock up better. Not worth the $ IMO.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
PROMAG makes garbage, and they got polymer AK mags that look just like that, but say PROMAG at the bottom. I hate these (10) wannabe knockoffs since they look like them from a distance but up close the lack of steel reinforcements and PROMAG will be clearly visible.

For reliable AK mags, stick with surplus steel. Chinese, Hungarian, East German, Romanian, they are all good to go. New production Bulgarian and Korean steel works as well.

Bulgarian (10) waffle mags are the standard for polymer mil spec mags. Bakelites are great too, but have become collectors items, and not all of them have steel feedlips.

Magpul makes great AR PMAGs and accessories, but I hate their AK line, especially AK PMAGs. Both MOE and M3 will have their feedlips crack, and they are not worth the $ IMO as well. I actually think Tapco mags are way better than Magpuls. I have not broken or cracked any of them, both waffle and smoothside, feeds reliably and they can be found under $10 each. I prefer smoothside as they look way better and fit in pouches better than the monstrosity of their waffle pattern.

I've been testing X-Tech Mil MAG-47 mags with steel reinforcements and BHO followers and so far I like them, zero issues

AC Unity mags feel flimsy but they work 100% with my MAK-90 Spiker. At least 2 of them have caused double feeds in my SAM-7SF which is otherwise extremely reliable like my MAK. Maybe just a fluke, need to keep testing them. Lack of feedlips and "advanced German polymer" doesn't inspire confidence, as I've seen many HK translucent AR mag feedlips crack just from being loaded.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a hard pass.

Thank you both gentlemen.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of these which was part of a trade.  Assumed it was promag and threw it in the junk pile.  Apparently it's Poland's version of a promag.  Still junk but I'll have to try it out now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of these which was part of a trade.  Assumed it was promag and threw it in the junk pile.  Apparently it's Poland's version of a promag.  Still junk but I'll have to try it out now.
View Quote

Yeah, hearing a lot of the same.

Thanks for the input.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top