Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/11/2015 7:31:36 PM EDT
I'm newbish to AK's, though not completely ignorant of them. though most of my experience is in the AR arena from my service, so my question is this; Are there any significant differences between the varying countries of origin as far as AK's are concerned? I can see the cosmetic differences in furniture, finishes, brakes, etc. but are there any more consequential differences, like quality of materials used, design modifications (ported gas block vs ported gas tube, different tolerances for different parts, ie thicker stampings etc), machining quality, etc. I'm looking at getting the Polish build Atlantic sells, while it seems expensive from the last time I looked at AK's (the ~$450 days) it does seem to have some features that set it a step above the CAI/WASR type guns, and from what I can find, seems to put it about equal in terms of quality with the "high end AKs", at least of the more recently built "high end AKs" that shall remain nameless.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
No noteworthy differences I guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have handled Russian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, and Chinese AK's. The machining and craftsmanship seems to be better on the Polish rifles than any of the others.  That Polish rifle from Atlantic should be a great addition!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much this... The lack of machine marks and such make them stand out more just a tad.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My Polish Archer is nicer build then my Arsenals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Good question and my answer is after having most all, the Chinese guns are the best but all are built to a mil spec and I am talking the real military guns.  and I know that my Chinese guns shoot true to point of impact some others don't.   I have both stamped and milled,,, my go to is a mak 90 milled gun.  That being said I like my Polish U/F also.  I have heard that Misr ak are at the bottom in quality the only one I have not owned, so just hearsay.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Your asking about the best AK in the Polish AK forum. What do you expect to hear? Chinese are the best, Polish next best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
AK's are like religion or politics everyone is not going to agree. I current have A Polish Beryl {archer}, A Malot RPK IV, A Hungarian AMD 65 and a Polish Tantal.  I lean to the Polish Beryl or Malot RPK. If I were you I would ask questions on different AK forums about a certain type of AK that I liked. Then I would check gun shops and gun shows. That way you can get a hands on feel for the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived and worked in AK using countries for years. People in the USA that are AK afficionados are just minor hobbyists when compared to people who have literally used all of them and breath AK's like a religion.

If you were to go to Russia- they would say their's is the best. They say that about everything from light bulbs to tanks. They are good but can be sloppy.

If you were to go to a MVD gunsmith in Ukraine he would say Polish, then Russian. then Bulgarian.

I would say Polish for two reasons, they have very modernized machinery purchased very recently and source steel from western Europe/Germany. They also had a very good reputation in soviet times.
Also they seem to take a little more pride in the weapon system. Fit and finish is also better.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The Atlantic Polish AK is really cool looking. They have a couple different furniture options.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:
I lived and worked in AK using countries for years. People in the USA that are AK afficionados are just minor hobbyists when compared to people who have literally used all of them and breath AK's like a religion.

If you were to go to Russia- they would say their's is the best. They say that about everything from light bulbs to tanks. They are good but can be sloppy.

If you were to go to a MVD gunsmith in Ukraine he would say Polish, then Russian. then Bulgarian.

I would say Polish for two reasons, they have very modernized machinery purchased very recently and source steel from western Europe/Germany. They also had a very good reputation in soviet times.
Also they seem to take a little more pride in the weapon system. Fit and finish is also better.
View Quote

This. I have a unissued 1955 Polish M44 that is just gorgeous. Commercial quality machining and finish. Better than a lot of commercial stuff to be honest. And a 1939 Radom Vis 35 that is machined impeccably.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top