Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/1/2015 7:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunsRcool]
I have a matching numbers (aside from the stock and parts for 922r)  Polish(Circle 11 marked 1983) parts kit AKM, with the original barrel built on a Nodak Spud NDS-1 Receiver by Vector Arms.
Right now the rifle has a synthetic stock.  I really want to get the firearm back in its cold war configuration, so I'm looking for the appropriate furniture and finish.  
The rifle is parkerized in near new condition, but I'm wondering what would have been the original finish? Paint, Park etc..?
I'm also want to put an appropriate laminated furniture set on the rifle, I have some bare Romanian furniture, but I think the rifle needs the bulged lower handguard to be correct.
Anyone know the appropriate color to finish the stock?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scromer] [#1]
Polish laminate AKM furniture is just a boiled linseed oil finish - no stain. It will darken over time.

My SAR-1 with Polish furniture

Polish 1960 with laminate furniture. - again just a BLO finish

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want some authentic Soviet finish, just brush on some shellac
with a course paint brush.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, good to know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Polish AKs are paint over park. You can buy original Polish stocks here.
RTG
I have been waiting for the butt stocks to come back in stock for a while, hopefully they will get more soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunsRcool] [#5]
Got my upper/lower handguard set from RTG.  IT matches my current stripped laminated stock pretty well I plan to use the boiled linseed oil to waterproof the stock.
I'll be getting some semigloss black duracoat for the parkerizing.  I was thinking of getting one of these Polish Tantal Grip in polish brown for the USA made pistol grip.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
polish wood

AKM by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_2694 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe Atlantic still has some Polish wood sets available at around 70 bucks.  Might check it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By boardhead:
I believe Atlantic still has some Polish wood sets available at around 70 bucks.  Might check it out.
View Quote

I got a set

After being on a laminate kick over the years the hardwood is a nice change, might have to snag another set or two

not shabby for 45+ year old wood

DSC_6990 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_6986 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_6984 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medalhedd] [#9]
Been working on my two sets lately too. The laminate set I just got from Atlantic and shown with Minwax stain but since has been stripped and started adding Tung oil. The last two is hardwood set that came on the rifle from Atlantic. I stripped the finish and applied Tung oil.

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top