Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2020 4:49:14 PM EDT
Bought some polish 80% receivers awhile back. They are already bent and heat treated. This will be my first time ever building a ak. My question is I'm hesitant to buy a parts kits cause I don't kno what kits will work and what kits won't work.... Any insight will be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are willing to make parts fit, just about any regular parts kit should work fine.
Order an under folder or side folder, you will have to make them fit.
We are talking 47 right?
Some yugo kits have bulged trunions and those won't work unless you grind or trim off the bulge.
No milled kit of course.
I don't know what is out there for kits right now.
They are selling for more than what I have bought pre scamdemic firearms for.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Most kits that don't have a bulged trunnion or that are meant for a milled receiver should work. For instance, all Yugo kits and RPK kits won't work. Also, underfolders and Hungarian sidefolders won't work without cutting up the rear of the receiver to accommodate the stock assembly, which probably won't be worth the hassle when you can get an 80% receiver with that already done. Kits that will work and are readily available are the Polish WBP kits and Romanian Mod 63 kits on Armsofamerica. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you are willing to make parts fit, just about any regular parts kit should work fine.
Order an under folder or side folder, you will have to make them fit.
We are talking 47 right?
Some yugo kits have bulged trunions and those won't work unless you grind or trim off the bulge.
No milled kit of course.
I don't know what is out there for kits right now.
They are selling for more than what I have bought pre scamdemic firearms for.
View Quote
Yes for AK47... Sorry I didn't mention that
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most kits that don't have a bulged trunnion or that are meant for a milled receiver should work. For instance, all Yugo kits and RPK kits won't work. Also, underfolders and Hungarian sidefolders won't work without cutting up the rear of the receiver to accommodate the stock assembly, which probably won't be worth the hassle when you can get an 80% receiver with that already done. Kits that will work and are readily available are the Polish WBP kits and Romanian Mod 63 kits on Armsofamerica. Hope that helps.
View Quote
Is there a preference of some origins of kits over others? And if so why?.... And I'm not not talking about different styles of butts ticks. I mean polish vs romanian, Hungarian, bulgarian, Russian, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there a preference of some origins of kits over others? And if so why?.... And I'm not not talking about different styles of butts ticks. I mean polish vs romanian, Hungarian, bulgarian, Russian, etc.
View Quote

I'm not personally well versed on the ins and outs of each country's kits, but the pecking order seems to be Russian > Bulgarian = East German > Polish > Hungarian = Romanian = Yugosalvian. A lot of the desirability seems to be largely about availability. If you're building it yourself and it's your first build I'd recommend going with a Romanian Mod 63 kit just due to them being relatively inexpensive, the first build is definitely a learning experience.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah the preference is if you can buy one and for how much money these days.
Don't forget you'll need a barrel and 922r parts as well.

You are going to have as much money in one of these as a factory built rifle.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top