Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/3/2018 10:27:39 AM EDT
First some background:

A side folding AK74 is my absolute favorite gun hands down. So when I saw some kits in stock I had to jump on it. I knew it would be a pretty involved process but i'm along for the ride. I have nothing but time at the moment to plan and find parts (deployed) so the last few weeks i've been doing a lot of reading, got a few books on building as well. But I still have a few questions.

Kit parts are :

Bulgy AK74 (fixed stock kit) 1989. (Seems like its in rough shape from the pictures my wife sent, including some light trunnion rust)
Taiwanese Triangle side folder stock kit 4.5mm
US made akbuilder chome lined barrel
Red arms trigger
Childers receiver (not ordered yet)
Arsenal plum handguards and pistol grip.
Russian plum mags

Questions:

• Due to the trunnion rust I plan on blasting and coating in KG gunkote 2400. Would it make sense to coat all the parts prior to assembly then touch up as needed? I really want to avoid any more rust while also giving it a durable finish. I also plan on coating the bolt/bolt carrier (Unless this is a no-no)

• The receiver will come pre heat treated, i've read that dimpling will be difficult, any advice on the best way to go about this?

• Has anybody heard of the Legion Arms build tool kit? Are they G2G?

Any more advice will be greatly appreciated. This will be my first AK build. So I plan on taking it very slow and thorough.

Here is a picture of the trunnion. You can clearly see what appears to be surface rust. I believe this is the only place where it has rust.

Any idea what the 8 and 9 are on the top?

Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Legion Arm Tool kits are Good to Go.

There is a Dimple Jig, for a press, I have no probs with
Harden receivers. I don't know if there is one in the legion arms kit.

Best build forum is Weaponsguild, great people, tons and tons if info.

Semper Fi

Wakes
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top