Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/26/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
At first glance they seem to be on par with ((10)) waffle mags. About a direct copy as you can get from a bulgy waffle mag IMO minus the big roll mark and a few little features which I don't mind.

Reinforced locking lugs, feed lips, and floor plate ledges.

I just got these in today and can't wait to take them out, unfortunately I'm not RobSki so I can't blast 500 rounds through them considering the ammo prices. But I can't wait to take these out to the range this weekend hopefully. At $26 a piece, they're going to be the top polymer AK mag in the market or in general as surplus steel mags are now up to $30 for a very good condition one IMO...provided they work. They're a little tight on my FR107/CR107 conversion, but should wear in the more I use them. They fit just right on my DDI milled Bulgy AK. I can't wait till PSA releases their 103 type mags.

Edit: to add some more info

So upon further inspection of the mags, the PSA mag uses proprietary followers. Just tried to swap the bulgy follower and spring into the PSA mag and it wouldn't go in all the way to the top which is  unfortunate. The mag has like rails going down inside at the top where the follower can ride on. In the first pic, they're hard to see, but they're there.

The bulgarian mag only has tabs where the follower rests against so it doesn't go all the way to the top and act as a BHO feature.

And last, this is how the follower looks. Bulgy on the left, PSA on the right. So if you use BHO followers, or any aftermarket followers, they won't work in the PSA mag without some modification.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn...PSA has stepped up their game!   This could be a game changer is equal to Bulgy in quality.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope that they take the advice of literally everyone and make that logo smaller for the next generation. OP: is there reinforcement in the spine?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
OST
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope that they take the advice of literally everyone and make that logo smaller for the next generation. OP: is there reinforcement in the spine?
View Quote

Negative, only the locking lug. I think it's about the size of the bulgy one. The only difference is that the bulgy mag has the reinforcement going all the way to the bottom of the mag, the PSA reinforcement stops where the 2nd indentations are.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Negative, only the locking lug. I think it's about the size of the bulgy one. The only difference is that the bulgy mag has the reinforcement going all the way to the bottom of the mag, the PSA reinforcement stops where the 2nd indentations are.

https://www.msgo.com/attachments/circle10-png.73663/
View Quote

It should still be a decent magazines. Let us know how it performs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.msgo.com/attachments/circle10-png.73663/

Will, do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool to see they've delivered on these. A welcome addition, especially if anything were to happen to mag imports.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
So 1st range update. I only bought two mags, only took about 100 rounds to try them out as I have very little range ammo left. Loaded up 1st mag to capacity, only had one failure to return to battery. Loaded up 1st mag to capacity again, and had a failure to eject. Loaded 2nd mag, ran flawlessly. Loaded 2nd mag with whatever rounds I had left, not enough to complete a full 30 but it ran fine. Still need to shoot more rounds through them to draw a final opinion on them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
For about the same price, I wonder how these compare to the Magpul M3 AKM mags?

Tempted to just throw down on some more Circle 10 mags from RTG while the getting is good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tempted to just throw down on some more Circle 10 mags from RTG while the getting is good.
View Quote

Well, compared to the magpul M3s, these have reinforced lugs, feed lips, and lower floor plate rails. Magpuls only have reinforced lugs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, compared to the magpul M3s, these have reinforced lugs, feed lips, and lower floor plate rails. Magpuls only have reinforced lugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. Why did I think they were much more improved over the M2 AKM mags?

Well, I may have to give the PSA mags a try.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The single one I have doesn't seem to want to go all the way into my milled SLR. Comparing it to the Bulgarian mag it came with, the the top of the psa feed lips hit the receiver a hair too soon. So either there is too much polymer on the top, the lip, or rear lug is too big or in the wrong place. Going off a sample size of one here though, and a little bit of monkeying with the mag would make it work. Could also be the gun itself.

They are nice and tight in my wobbly ass stamped WASR though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The single one I have doesn't seem to want to go all the way into my milled SLR. Comparing it to the Bulgarian mag it came with, the the top of the psa feed lips hit the receiver a hair too soon. So either there is too much polymer on the top, the lip, or rear lug is too big or in the wrong place. Going off a sample size of one here though, and a little bit of monkeying with the mag would make it work. Could also be the gun itself.

View Quote

One of the reviews on PSA has the same issue, mag won't go into their rifle. Can you post pics?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One of the reviews on PSA has the same issue, mag won't go into their rifle. Can you post pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some very scientific and not at all crappy measurements, and even worse pictures.
Bul mag
Bottom of rear tab to top of mag is approx 1.25"

Psa
Bottom of rear tab to top of mag is approx 1.3125"

The lip on the front is the same distance to the first "step" but after that it's all over the place. I assume the slot is also too far down as well based on where it stops in the gun.
Bulgarian
Attachment Attached File

PSA
Attachment Attached File

The bottom of the rear tab, specifically where the mag catch will hit sits about a 1/16" or so, which probably isn't helping. I'm guessing it's due to how the tab is orientated when the mag is made. PSA on the right, the top of both mags are level with each other.
Attachment Attached File

And when you add that 1/16" difference on the rear tab and a lower cut lip, you get a mag which is just a hair too tall. PSA on the right, I used a flat surface and a punch I know is straight to line up the mags and you can see the top of the PSA is just slightly taller.
Attachment Attached File

It's so close to fitting, I'm tempted to try removing a little material off the bottom of the front lip to see if it seats, but I don't know if I could remove enough to get it to seat and still feed properly. Maybe doing the same on the rear would help, but if all these mags are the same, I don't have a lot of interest in them if they don't work without modification in my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info. Going to hold off for now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some very scientific and not at all crappy measurements, and even worse pictures.
Bul mag

Psa

The lip on the front is the same distance to the first "step" but after that it's all over the place. I assume the slot is also too far down as well based on where it stops in the gun.
Bulgarian
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408139/20210402_031917_jpg-1889618.JPG

PSA
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408139/20210402_032027_jpg-1889620.JPG

The bottom of the rear tab, specifically where the mag catch will hit sits about a 1/16" or so, which probably isn't helping. I'm guessing it's due to how the tab is orientated when the mag is made. PSA on the right, the top of both mags are level with each other.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408139/20210402_025720_jpg-1889614.JPG

And when you add that 1/16" difference on the rear tab and a lower cut lip, you get a mag which is just a hair too tall. PSA on the right, I used a flat surface and a punch I know is straight to line up the mags and you can see the top of the PSA is just slightly taller.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408139/20210402_023111_jpg-1889616.JPG
It's so close to fitting, I'm tempted to try removing a little material off the bottom of the front lip to see if it seats, but I don't know if I could remove enough to get it to seat and still feed properly. Maybe doing the same on the rear would help, but if all these mags are the same, I don't have a lot of interest in them if they don't work without modification in my rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bul mag

Psa

Bulgarian

PSA

That's unfortunate, so are your feed lips hitting the receiver rails?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for interest and to follow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bul mag

Psa

Bulgarian

PSA

Yes, the pictures kind of suck but if you look close the PSA feed lips hit when you try to rock it in.

I'll buy some more and see if it isn't just this mag, even if that is the case, they seem nice and snug in stamped guns so I'm not totally out of my money.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, the pictures kind of suck but if you look close the PSA feed lips hit when you try to rock it in.

I'll buy some more and see if it isn't just this mag, even if that is the case, they seem nice and snug in stamped guns so I'm not totally out of my money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bul mag

Psa

Bulgarian

PSA

Oh, interesting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Having a proprietary follower doesn't bother me. I'm not going to swap it out anyway, and I tend to expect that a new magazine design will have new internal parts in accordance with the design needs. The Magpul AK mags have their own follower as well.

The mags not locking into some guns also doesn't bother me--I've seen it with milsurp mags from different countries that were built with a slightly different range of tolerances. Mag locking lugs or the gun itself can be adjusted to make them work, if you really want, but with AKs, I've just come to expect that not all mags will fit perfectly in all guns.

Quoted:
So 1st range update. I only bought two mags, only took about 100 rounds to try them out as I have very little range ammo left. Loaded up 1st mag to capacity, only had one failure to return to battery. Loaded up 1st mag to capacity again, and had a failure to eject. Loaded 2nd mag, ran flawlessly. Loaded 2nd mag with whatever rounds I had left, not enough to complete a full 30 but it ran fine. Still need to shoot more rounds through them to draw a final opinion on them.
View Quote

This, however, bothers me quite a lot. 2% failure rate is no bueno. What rifle and ammo were you using and what kind of failure rate do you normally see with it? It would be one thing if it was an American AK and you're running soft points or something notorious for problems, but if this is an Arsenal, WASR, Zastava, Saiga or other quality AK and the PSA mags are giving you these kinds of failures, then that's a pretty significant failure.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top