Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2019 5:18:01 PM EDT
So I had purchased one of the AKV9's back in June and had finally gotten around to taking it out to the range just last Sunday. I'd checked the gun out before taking it to the range and hadn't noticed any apparent issues. Everything seemed great and I was looking forward to trying it out.

Well, once at the range, about half a dozen rounds into shooting, I pull the trigger and then *click* nothing.

I open up the receiver cover to find the firing pin literally just laying inside the receiver next to the trigger.

WTF!

I then notice the firing pin spring almost jammed behind the trigger spring. I pull the bolt out and see that the firing pin retaining pin is completely missing. Apparently, the firing pin retaining pin had completely fallen out while shooting the gun. I looked around everywhere but was never able to find it.

After searching around online, I was able to find at least one video on youtube of a guy who had encountered the exact same issue. He had reached out to PSA and was told that, yes, they had a batch of PSAKV9's where the firing pin retaining pin hole was not in spec causing the retaining pin to fall out. According to him. they had simply offered to send him a new (in spec) bolt to replace his and that was it, problem solved.
(Link to the other guys video I found on Youtube:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6XJKzDze0
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So this is when the fun starts for me.

I've heard and read for years about the world class customer service offered by PSA. I followed their process of submitting an email through their online message center on the PSA website. It took 2 days before I even got a response. Once I finally got a response, it did not address the issue I was having. It was basically just a canned cut/paste response from some customer service rep suggesting I send back the entire rifle. I respond that I would like to discuss my issue with the bolt and that I see no reason for sending the entire gun back when this is known issue that can be resolved by providing a new bolt. Another day goes by, no response. Ok fine, so I call up their customer support and ask to speak to someone about it. The customer service guy I speak with is completely clueless and basically has no idea what I am talking about with the bolt. Ok, so I ask to have one of their AK people contact me so that I can discuss it with someone who is knowledgeable. I am assured by the customer service guy that I will be receiving a call back within a day or so. That was on Wednesday. Here I am on Saturday and I still have not received any call back or even a response from PSA via email regarding my issue.

Is this the type of world class customer service that everyone brags about with this company? Am I being unreasonable? I'm not simply posting this to dog on PSA. I would like nothing more than to support them as a company. But what else am I supposed to do at this point?

As to the idea of sending he entire gun back, this may be no big deal for some folks but it would be a major pain in the ass for me to do. I'd likely have to take off an entire day of work just to do it. Some of us have busy lives and are not afforded unlimited amounts of time to take off from work. It is especially frustrating when it is such a simple issue to resolve without sending in the entire gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You're on arfcom, man.  Throw up the bat signal and let Josiah take care of that for you.  Type their name with a @ sign in front of it and it rings the big red phone.

@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Such as?

josiah@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You just need the @PalmettoStateArmory.  Next time they log in, they'll see this thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just need the @PalmettoStateArmory.  Next time they log in, they'll see this thread.
View Quote
Still kind of a shit situation that you have to be a member of ARFcom to receive that service.

I think their CS clearly has dropped the ball...Period.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Still kind of a shit situation that you have to be a member of ARFcom to receive that service.

View Quote
You don't have to be on arfcom.  They have a facebook group specifically for AK-V members where the founder, CEO, and some employees are active.  And they are active on a handful of forums.

I will agree that the PSA phone CS is lacking.  You get taken care of much better on the forums and online groups.  I think that is what leads to the great customer service reputation that OP had heard about.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Just message palmetto state Armory on here you can @them like done previously or send them an IM which is what I usually do. Josiah will get you fixed up Ricky tic

I’ve had a couple issues and he has been great at getting them taken care of
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are gonna get a lower named after you
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
And a whole new thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
At this point, I'll take the free publicity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
How did it work out?  Looking at getting one of these in the future.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
As a note, the firing pin retaining pin is the same size as the gas tube retaining pin in an AR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I just now noticed this thread is back up.

They sent me a new bolt/bolt carrier group.

I was able to get it out to range and everything seems to be working well. I was able to put a few hundred rounds through it with no further problems.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to rehash an old thread but I just wanted to relay my customer support experience regarding this issue.  I pulled the AKV out of the safe and racked it a couple of times to make sure it's clear and heard a rattling.  I opened the top cover and found the firing pin and spring sitting on the trigger group.  I found this thread and saw the recommendation to IM Josiah so I did.  I don't think it took more than 5 minutes to get a response!  Their fix is now to send out a firing pin retaining pin (hopefully oversized) so we'll see if that fixes the issue.

Big thanks to Josiah at PSA for taking care of this!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry to rehash an old thread but I just wanted to relay my customer support experience regarding this issue.  I pulled the AKV out of the safe and racked it a couple of times to make sure it's clear and heard a rattling.  I opened the top cover and found the firing pin and spring sitting on the trigger group.  I found this thread and saw the recommendation to IM Josiah so I did.  I don't think it took more than 5 minutes to get a response!  Their fix is now to send out a firing pin retaining pin (hopefully oversized) so we'll see if that fixes the issue.

View Quote
Are these Gen2 pistols (i.e., have the MAC bracket and all that)?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are these Gen2 pistols (i.e., have the MAC bracket and all that)? I am in the same position as the OP (as far as mailing the pistol), but now I live in Chicago and I'd probably have SWAT at my house if it was found out I have an AKV.

Oops, sorry for the double tap!
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top