BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2021 11:30:27 PM EDT
Hey guys, I know some people will want to fix up their AKs with Zenitco stuff. Designed for Russian stamped AKs, the install process includes hammering in the handguard (check YouTube).

Now, unlike ARs, AKs of different makes can be fairly different in dimensions. The PSA required a bit of fitting, and hammering the living shit out of the handguard to fit, but it sure is on now.

So if you're not a professional, or if you don't have a saiga(or even if you do) be prepared to work if you are doing it yourself.

Not for you if....

You can't Dremel or file....
Don't like scratches and Knicks(or a beat to hell handguard retainer lol)
Don't want to hammer your gun
Don't want to deal with anything harder than putting together an AR.
Don't have a vice.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I applaud your effort good sir. I like Zentico, but so far only on my friends rifle. It's pretty heavy and the only things so far I hang off mine are a flashlight and micro dot, so an Ultimak has been enough for me.

However, I've been impressed with Zentico, and if you're gonna do it, do it right and use Zentico.

Very nice, pic with mag please, bonus points for bakelite, and SBR that baby!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
That came out really nice

ZenitCo makes great stuff but it has always been tricky to fit to Bulgarian pattern / original Soviet pattern rifles like the SLRs and the PSA rifles. Thanks for helping out the guys who do want to modify it for their Bulgarian pattern rifles

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Zenitco looks great and all the Cyrillic gives us Addidas street cred, but yeah holy carp does it make the gun heavy compared to polymer or even wood furniture. I spent an arm and a leg on outfitting one of my AKs and I'm ready to remove at least the stock already. Side note, the 24x1.5 rh threads on the psa 104 seem not made to spec. I can thread on a dead air Wolverine, but other devices I have like a thread protector and slr rifle works brake won't go more than one rotation. All of them thread on easily to my Sam7k-44.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zenitco looks great and all the Cyrillic gives us Addidas street cred, but yeah holy carp does it make the gun heavy compared to polymer or even wood furniture. I spent an arm and a leg on outfitting one of my AKs and I'm ready to remove at least the stock already
View Quote

FirstTime?.jpg (no meme because DryFlash will stomp that out with a quickness)

I love ZenitCo but I think the stocks are unnecessarily heavy and I don't use them. I sold all the ones I have simply because of the weight

The rest of the kit is worth the weight penalty (at least right now anyway) because there is nothing better on the market

Also, if you think the rails are heavy, go ahead and add a light, laser and suppressor
I'm at 12.8 pouonds on my AK105 (To be fair even my KAC night fighting rifle is 10.8 pounds, so everything gets heavy quick)

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Zenitco looks great and all the Cyrillic gives us Addidas street cred, but yeah holy carp does it make the gun heavy compared to polymer or even wood furniture. I spent an arm and a leg on outfitting one of my AKs and I'm ready to remove at least the stock already. Side note, the 24x1.5 rh threads on the psa 104 seem not made to spec. I can thread on a dead air Wolverine, but other devices I have like a thread protector and slr rifle works brake won't go more than one rotation. All of them thread on easily to my Sam7k-44.
View Quote

@hoodfu

Agreed on the threads, the SLR did not want to go on, so I made it go on lol. Took it back off and it cleaned up the PSA threads a bit. The SLR didn't time right and I scratched it up so I essentially bought a $60 thread die...

Hoping my Zenitco Brake goes on easy ready when it arrives
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ZenitCo makes great stuff but it has always been tricky to fit to Bulgarian pattern / original Soviet pattern rifles like the SLRs and the PSA rifles. Thanks for helping out the guys who do want to modify it for their Bulgarian pattern rifles

View Quote

Thanks bud!
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I applaud your effort good sir. I like Zentico, but so far only on my friends rifle. It's pretty heavy and the only things so far I hang off mine are a flashlight and micro dot, so an Ultimak has been enough for me.

However, I've been impressed with Zentico, and if you're gonna do it, do it right and use Zentico.

Very nice, pic with mag please, bonus points for bakelite, and SBR that baby!  
View Quote

@nictra

SBR e-file soon.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
What handstop is that? I don't like the one I have on my 105 right now

Also, is the B33 top cover in your future?
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to dremel myself for the SLR-104cr build.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What handstop is that? I don't like the one I have on my 105 right now

Also, is the B33 top cover in your future?
View Quote

@TX-Zen

It's the Zenitco Basis hand stop, and yes waiting on B33 to be in stock from Zenitco.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

@hoodfu

My Zenitco Brake came in today, went right on as easy as the PSA booster. Timed right as well.

Attachment Attached File

Also hammered on it some more with a 1 lb sledge. Maybe moved it a little more flush, that sucker is never coming off, i see why it retains zero. May hammer it from time to time to see if I ever get it perfectly flush.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered a couple of JMAC muzzle devices, so I'm curious to see if I have better like on the PSA with those. I just SBR'ed this thing, so I'm hesitant to do the "muzzle device as a threading die" route. :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO PSA AK should get SLR stuff,
and russian AK should get zenitco.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Still waiting on my form 1, but yea, def took fitting, grinding, hammering and cutting. Especially with an original bulgy combo block.

It is heavy as hell but I love it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IMO PSA AK should get SLR stuff,
and russian AK should get zenitco.
View Quote
We ain't getting any Russian AKs anytime soon and even if we did we'd have to have enough US parts to remain compliant.   So the PSA makes sense to zentico.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
@HammerForged I think your efforts qualify as proper AK gunsmithing methods. :)
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@HammerForged I think your efforts qualify as proper AK gunsmithing methods. :)
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Still waiting on my form 1, but yea, def took fitting, grinding, hammering and cutting. Especially with an original bulgy combo block.

It is heavy as hell but I love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/308934/EE13C722-12F4-4B09-8ED6-C1ECC37C375A_jpe-1958913.JPG
View Quote

That is excellent work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#22]
maybe you lift heavier weight and stop wearing dress then rifle not so heavy comrade
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude sick. I had to do the same with my psa 103. After the b10m was on everything else was cake, even the b33.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@TX-Zen

It's the Zenitco Basis hand stop, and yes waiting on B33 to be in stock from Zenitco.
View Quote
Ordered, thanks

Since we're throwing down some AK104/AK105's:

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
All you guys with the super flush rails inspired me to finish mine, got it as flush as it's going to get, the top basis rails(of the lower handguard) are in contact with the receiver.

Side note, I got the handguard retainer lever stuck and snapped it off and punched it out new one ordered lololol

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Side note, I got the handguard retainer lever stuck and snapped it off and punched it out new one ordered lololol
View Quote
Dang the luck

The rail looks really flush now though, but I didn't think it looked bad before

And technically if you use the B19 gas tube rail you won't need that HG retainer
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dang the luck

The rail looks really flush now though, but I didn't think it looked bad before

And technically if you use the B19 gas tube rail you won't need that HG retainer
View Quote

True I probably don't need it but as you could probably see the AR-15 OCD runs deep.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Waiting on a retainer punch, light switch stuff, and NFA approval. The most expensive beater gun I've ever had.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The most expensive beater gun I've ever had.

View Quote
Winning
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
To fix AK...

1) Grab bottle of Vodka and take a swig, pour rest on AK

2) Retrieve hammer and commence to fix said AK

3) Done

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Just think if PSA would put their AK P dust cover on their 104s. They would sell the crap out of them.

Edit:

Okay this thread inspired me. Just got the tracking number for my new Zenitco rails for my 104 that I ordered last Friday from PSA. Ivan was fast on shipping the stuff out. Once I receive the pistol I will Form 1 it. Can't wait for the PSAK 105 to come out now. Also, waiting on the Zenitco railed dust covers to come back in stock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I am jonesing to get my 104 pistol now. It's been processing since last Friday. I order an AR-V on Wednesday and it has already has a shipping label created. I hope they didn't run out of stock after I was able to get my order in for the 104.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just think if PSA would put their AK P dust cover on their 104s. They would sell the crap out of them.

Edit:

Okay this thread inspired me. Just got the tracking number for my new Zenitco rails for my 104 that I ordered last Friday from PSA. Ivan was fast on shipping the stuff out. Once I receive the pistol I will Form 1 it. Can't wait for the PSAK 105 to come out now. Also, waiting on the Zenitco railed dust covers to come back in stock.
View Quote
Congrats

I've been a fan of Zenitco for a long time, especially the B33 top cover. It's a shame all new rifles don't have a similar top cover system
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Gimme stamp gimme stamp gimme stampAttachment Attached File

Eta. Put the polish safety on the PSA safety slid up the side of my dust cover and kept doing it after I tried make it tighter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#35]
As to not start another thread. Ivan the Bear has the dust covers in stock right now. I picked up two this morning. 1 for my 104 build and another for when PSA has the 105 out later this year, hopefully.

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/weapon-rails-and-tuning/receiver-covers/zenitco-b-33-classic-ak-railed-top-cover/
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Did you ever get your Tax Stamp? I just did it online and was wondering about your wait time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Did you ever get your Tax Stamp? I just did it online and was wondering about your wait time.
View Quote

I'm at 4 weeks, others who filed around the same time already got theirs. I fear Ive been placed in the 6 month extended background check pile.

Infringing ass garbage, if I couldn't get a stamp I couldn't own any one of dozens of guns I own already.

@ShooterMcGavin157
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm at 4 weeks, others who filed around the same time already got theirs. I fear Ive been placed in the 6 month extended background check pile.

View Quote
My Vox S took 12 months on an F4 even after times had dropped to about 9 months and my Vox K, bought at the same time, took 18 months and 5 calls to the ATF to get approved

eFile has been way more efficient though and my friends that have had issues with their F1s were able to resolve it quickly over email without any real delay
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I efiled and I have heard it only takes 4 weeks. I figured the stuff I ordered from Ivan would take 4 weeks and maybe up to 6 weeks. However, that's not the case, I had one package arrive yesterday and three more that are all in the US as of now. Well at least I'll have everything once the Form 1 is approved.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I efiled and I have heard it only takes 4 weeks. I figured the stuff I ordered from Ivan would take 4 weeks and maybe up to 6 weeks. However, that's not the case, I had one package arrive yesterday and three more that are all in the US as of now. Well at least I'll have everything once the Form 1 is approved.
View Quote

I ordered my stuff straight from zenit and each time it only took 5-6 days. I was lucky with that, paying for it with the stamp though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Its not a psa ak but started as a Romy m10p
I had a cnc extended 4 peice flash hider pinned and welded rather than sbr the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/330153/20200914_161616_jpg-2016414.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/330153/20210714_160131_jpg-2016412.JPG
Its not a psa ak but started as a Romy m10p
I had a cnc extended 4 peice flash hider pinned and welded rather than sbr the rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]
@HammerForged

Did you have to do any modifications to the handguard where it meets the handguard retainer? I am having a hell of a time getting the handguard retainer to go over the section of the handguard designed to hold the handguard on. It's not the easiest spot to make any mods.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@HammerForged

Did you have to do any modifications to the handguard where it meets the handguard retainer? I am having a hell of a time getting the handguard retainer to go over the section of the handguard designed to hold the handguard on. It's not the easiest spot to make any mods.
View Quote

No, I hammered it on, and wiggled it (hard) when I had to remove for more fitting. Big ass hammer.

@ShooterMcGavin157

ETA, refer to my first picture, I used the pliers to evenly distribute force from the hammer and electrical tape to protect the finish the best I could, I hammered straight down and all around. Adjustable wrenches and channel lock worked better
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Dont mean to derail your thread. What are your thoughts on the PSA 104, quality etc. ?

They were in stock all weekend but I hesitated, and now they're gone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dont mean to derail your thread. What are your thoughts on the PSA 104, quality etc. ?

They were in stock all weekend but I hesitated, and now they're gone.
View Quote

@Masterbeef

It's nicer out of the box then my arsenal was. I've only shot about 100 rounds, still waiting on stamp. No issues, no regrets.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Is it possible to do this with a Zastava m92 or m70 will it just take a ton of hammering and dremel time or would there be something else that would stop me?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is it possible to do this with a Zastava m92 or m70 will it just take a ton of hammering and dremel time or would there be something else that would stop me?
View Quote

Sadly, the Serbian pattern rifles are non standard and have different dimensions that are incompatible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Bump because.... I'm still waaaaiiiiiiitiiiiing.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread has inspired me to do the same thing with a PSA AK104.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top