Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 12:44:34 AM EDT
So I’m not currently in a state that allows assault pistols (their words not mine) and I’ve never messed with “braced” guns before but will be PCSing soon.

Kinda on an AK kick right now and I was thinking once we move to a more friendly state I’d like to have an AK-P and AK-V in the safe.

How are they?

Worth SBR’ing?

Durable?

I swear I’m not the ATF
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 260 rounds thru my AK-P... the rear end of the ejection port is slightly chewed up because of steel cases winning over aluminum dust cover. Unsure if it is a fluke, or specifically my gun being over-gassed. I have been in contact with PSA, and they want to ship it back to be looked at.

I like the gun, and it is very well setup. In regards to SBR... I bought it to be a pistol (legally allowed to be loaded in my truck, due to carry permit/LEOSA). If powers decide that braces are stocks, I'll probably SBR/SBS my guns... hell, they know where I live due to the three suppressors I'm waiting for the Form 4s to come back on. But if I go thru the hassle for that (wait, tax stamp, engraving), I'll put stocks on them.

I wanted to toss my Bushwhacker 46 on it, but depends what happens in regards to its trip back to PSA.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an AKP with about 500 rounds through it. It's fun and the dust cover has held up zero just fine. I did have about 3 light primer strikes, but they were all with Tula ammo; I've ran wolf, and red army through it as well with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on SBRing the AK P you should really look at the PSA AK 104. The 104 has a pistol option with a folding rear trunnion, which will allow you to put a folding stock on it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-104-classic-side-folding-pistol-with-hinge-block.html

Also, it should be mentioned that if you want any of these PSA products right now you have to camp out over at their site to get one. They sell out with in minutes. You can find them on GB, but they go for crazy prices.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a couple of AK Ps up on the PSA site you might want to grab one before there gone
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both the AKV and AKP. My guns have been perfect in every way. I have had no malfunctions in over 3000 rounds of steel cased Russian 9mm ammo in the AKV. There is an unknown
number of brass cased rounds down this gun. Hell I fired 2500 rounds of steel cased ammo when I first got it without cleaning anything and it just ate everything like a fat kid at halloween
The CNC warrior stock compliments my V nicely as well. As for the AKP it is a little bit over gassed. It is not a big deal but there is no need for a booster with the extra gas going
to the piston. I have probably 1 or 2 thousand rounds on the AKP and it has never malfunctioned and is just kind of awesome. These are both great guns and I would buy them again if
I had to replace my originals.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for the AKP it is a little bit over gassed. It is not a big deal but there is no need for a booster with the extra gas going
to the piston.
View Quote

Mine is over gassed as well. I took off the booster and put the PSA AK-P Faux Bulgarian muzzle device on it. I like it a lot better than the booster. I know that they put the booster on for reliability, but it doesn't need it at all. I just got a OSS flash hider that I plan on using once my suppressor is out of jail.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
For those running suppressed, what KNS piston are you using? Trying to figure out which one to order (I measured but it seems to be in between two offered lengths/configurations).
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
AK Ps and AK Vs are in stock right now.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-p.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-v.html

Edit:
The market must be saturated, as it been a couple of hours and they still have them up for sale, lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
PSA is sending my AK-P back.

They got it on Monday (6/21), returning it today (6/24). Reply was…

Replaced and installed a new dust cover. The edge of the ejection port cover is designed as a brass deflector and thus the amount of wear on the dust cover is normal during use of the firearm when using steel or brass cased ammo.
View Quote

Was a little shocked that was the answer. Why replace it if it is normal? And if it is normal, why doesn’t my WASR have any issues like that?

But since I predominantly shoot steel cased ammo in my AKs, I’m going to have to go the KNS piston route. Makes the suppressor switch a little easier, but at least I’ll have a new top cover.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a new PSA AK P hinge picatinny dust cover for another project and got a PSA AK V dust cover instead. The sticker on the bubble wrap says it's an AK P, but it's about an inch too small. Sent them an email, now to wait and see what I need to do to get the AK P dust cover.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Done.

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
PSA has a bunch of 104 pistol that can be Form 1 up on there site. just a heads up for anyone looking at this thread

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-104.html

and a bunch of AK P

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-p.html

and a bunch of AK V

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-v/pistols.html

The market must be saturated, because I have never seen tis many in stock
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just PM me here if you want and I can get you taken care of.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

Josiah, you da man!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an SBR'd AK-P. It's nice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I was going to SBR the AK P, then I decided to get a 104 and SBR that since I could put a folder on it. I'll probably sell the AK P.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
i had an AK-V. not to trash PSA Because their AR lowers are gorgeous (i have 3 of the mil rollmark lowers) but the AKV was a pile. yes it was the latest version, mac bracket and all. the extractors chipped out, the metal was soft in areas (front lower hg ret pin, extractors, apuminum top cover), the recoil management wasnt good (beat apart top cover and the spacer buffer), and it didnt run well. the mags rock (we actually make them and our QC is pretty darn good). i sent it in they did stuff, got it back, same issues. all in 450 rnds!

PSA took care of me in getting a refund. props to that. not bashing em. just not gonna go PSA AK (think heat treat issues...... :(  )

i have a KP9 and its literally the best damn PCC Ill ever own. full disclosure....the FSB was canted, and a punch, vice and hammer fixed that. im sold on the Kusa version.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m kind of digging my AKP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Updated mine with some a better sling mount option.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t know why you’d skip a Yugo/Serb M92 and get a PSA AK-P.

I’d prefer a com bloc gun over the PSA offerings… for now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

How did you do that?! I love it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

How did you do that?! I love it.
View Quote

Because I wanted an American made AK. Why?  I’m not exactly sure!

The sling mounts are just Magpul  Type 1 & 2 sling sockets on each side of the stock. They fit perfectly in the stock recess.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I SBRed my AK-P last fall, have a little over 1000 rounds through it, am very satisfied with the end result.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about having both?!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Had wood furniture on my AKV for a while.

Love the classic look, but it's pretty low quality wood that chipped/cracked easily and wore away in the brackets so the handguards moved around.  Switched to Midwest Industries handguard and a Hogue grip I already had....

Much more stable, so keeping this way.  Originally had the 'Billet;' handguard from PSA which looked really cool, but was rather bulky and I couldn't wrap my thumb over the front handguard without it blocking the optic.  It clears it fine with this.  As for the vertical fore grip, this was configured and sold by an 07 FFL as an 'other' to stay compliant, so it has to have one whereas 'pistol' versions cannot, so I'm all good.

I actually enjoy shooting this more than my AR-based PCC's, especially for plates/steel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Thinking about picking up an AK-P. Quick question, what suppressor mounts are you guys using?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Had one of the Lead Star/AK-P variants. Bolt started to peen very early on (within the first couple hundred rounds). Later found out the internal receiver rails were misaligned/out of spec, causing the bolt to literally "jump" upwards about a mm or so everytime it went into battery. Locking lugs were peening in two different places, piston head was getting knicked up real bad, a small gouge started developing in the carrier cam channel, and the gun was basically fucked.

I took these pictures after the first range trip when the round count was probably <200 rounds. The wear patterns became completely unacceptable around 800, and I got rid of it.

PSA's solution was a full replacement or refund, but I would've had to wait multiple months for a replacement that wasn't guaranteed since that SKU was rare. Got a Zastava and never looked back...

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top