User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got antsy and went ahead and ordered a 104 & 1k rounds of 7.62x39…might need a divorce attorney when the 102 gets released
View Quote

I've been waiting on the PSAK-101 to come out but went ahead and bought a KUSA KR-103. Figured since I already have 2 PSAK's I might as well get one of the KUSA offerings.

However, I'll still try and get a PSAK-101 triangle folder rifle anyway. I just have a feeling it'll be hard to since my job doesn't let me have my phone and they don't let us buy things like guns/ gun parts on company computers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I just asked. They are tentatively scheduled to be out late this week.

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

what kind of mags will come with, and will there be more for sale any time soon? Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

what kind of mags will come with, and will there be more for sale any time soon? Thanks for the update!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah

He said AC Unity mags not too long ago (or in another thread).
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Josiah

This until their mag is ready.  

AC Unity 5.56 mags are decent enough quality, especially for the money.  If you don't want to buy more of them, Atlantic normally has Polish Radom-manufactured 5.56 mags as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Tomorrow 4pm the ak102 go live
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yea. F5 at 1550. Got it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will the 101's go live at the same time?

I just bought a KR-103 from Atlantic but I might be convinced to sit at my computer with my CC digits at the ready for a triangle folder 101 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Was hoping they offered a builders kit but guess I'll just crap the cheapest one possible.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
@Jman_JJE @PalmettoStateArmory

From the pic on this listing, it appears this will accept a standard side folding stock. How difficult is it to remove the Picatinny adapter that the brace mounts on? Trying to decide if I want to purchase the one below and use it a while or just get the non-braced version and wait for the eForm4 to come back.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Jman_JJE @PalmettoStateArmory

From the pic on this listing, it appears this will accept a standard side folding stock. How difficult is it to remove the Picatinny adapter that the brace mounts on? Trying to decide if I want to purchase the one below and use it a while or just get the non-braced version and wait for the eForm4 to come back.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/0423dea8e9791990cba1722182d60508/5/1/51655116687_2.jpg
View Quote
its a matter of removing the pin and pulling off the pic adapter.  Putting your new stock/brace in place and putting the pin back in.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
its a matter of removing the pin and pulling off the pic adapter.  Putting your new stock/brace in place and putting the pin back in.
View Quote
Oh so the pic rail is mounted in the side folding hinge. Got it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
They're live boys. Go get 'em.

I got one of these beauts:
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one of the more stripped down versions. I have Zenitco stuff to go on mine.  Don't want to pay for all the extra bits.  Looks like I saved money this week.  Maybe next week.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want one of the more stripped down versions. I have Zenitco stuff to go on mine.  Don't want to pay for all the extra bits.  Looks like I saved money this week.  Maybe next week.  
View Quote

Understandable.  I don't have all that so I'm fine with paying a bit more to have it already installed.  Besides, this is a "graduated college at 40 after 22 years of trying" present once I get my tuition reimbursement back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah if I didn't have furniture then it's a great deal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]
So were they all in stock? I'm interested in the middle row and below but those all say out of stock
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]

I got the last 2 of those. :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#20]
got a sba3 model otw
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Fantastic news. I pray that there is eventually a 5.45 Krink coming. Thats a grail for me
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fantastic news. I pray that there is eventually a 5.45 Krink coming. Thats a grail for me
View Quote

The only new PSA AK I care to hear news about.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t care if we need to group fund an accuracy test, whatever it takes.

Can someone take care of this for your fellow members that are tired of buying untested firearms.

Youtube reviews are generally garbage. I just want to know if this thing is reliable, if the wear patterns appear normal, and if it is AK accurate before spending another grand on an item that ends up having no value should you need to liquidate.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don’t care if we need to group fund an accuracy test, whatever it takes.

Can someone take care of this for your fellow members that are tired of buying untested firearms.

Youtube reviews are generally garbage. I just want to know if this thing is reliable, if the wear patterns appear normal, and if it is AK accurate before spending another grand on an item that ends up having no value should you need to liquidate.
View Quote

I'll see what I can do once I get mine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't care if we need to group fund an accuracy test, whatever it takes.

View Quote
Sort of in the same boat.  My 104 has been perfect and everything looks good. I've seen quite a few issues with the 105s.  So I'm wondering if the 101/102 are based on that design.   If so I'm a little worried especially since I want to SBR it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sort of in the same boat.  My 104 has been perfect and everything looks good. I've seen quite a few issues with the 105s.  So I'm wondering if the 101/102 are based on that design.   If so I'm a little worried especially since I want to SBR it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I plan to eventually SBR mine too.  I went ahead and got the one w/ the brace so I can test it and make sure it's 100% before I push through the eForm1.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hope is with this being chambered in 5.56, that we can actually see some higher round count reviews.

I think many people, including myself, could have a lemon of a 105/74 and never find out, because we will never put enough rounds through them. I would guess most people have tricked theirs out, and now they sit idle.

The ammo situation for 545 is going to drag the reliability testing out for a long time for those, maybe eternity at this point.

This is why I hope the 101/102 may be able to receive an adequate round count. I just want to know if it is 100% reliable, and can stand thousands of rounds without needing to be returned.

I mean, $1k seems cheap for what it is considering the price of any alternative, the problem is I have realized my previous two attempts at getting in on a new release were lack luster at best, and there is really no secondhand market for them. Which is fine, but not again.

Eta: and you bring up a valid point, if it is based on the same thick stem bolt design as the 104
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm on the notification list for a 102 side fold rifle P/W, hopefully hey come through soon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My hope is with this being chambered in 5.56, that we can actually see some higher round count reviews.

I think many people, including myself, could have a lemon of a 105/74 and never find out, because we will never put enough rounds through them. I would guess most people have tricked theirs out, and now they sit idle.

The ammo situation for 545 is going to drag the reliability testing out for a long time for those, maybe eternity at this point.

This is why I hope the 101/102 may be able to receive an adequate round count. I just want to know if it is 100% reliable, and can stand thousands of rounds without needing to be returned.

I mean, $1k seems cheap for what it is considering the price of any alternative, the problem is I have realized my previous two attempts at getting in on a new release were lack luster at best, and there is really no secondhand market for them. Which is fine, but not again.

Eta: and you bring up a valid point, if it is based on the same thick stem bolt design as the 104
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah hoping we get some good feedback.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Patiently watching those who have purchased one to see how it goes, learned many a hard lesson being a Gen 1 buyer of something
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#33]

How do these dust covers hold up compared to tws?

Not a lot of info on JL Billet's dust cover
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. What little I can find shows that the bolt holding the two pieces together loosens up over time. One guy tried blue, then red locktite. He finally settled on Rocksett. That seems to be holding for how. I’ll try to do some POA/POI return testing when I get mine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agreed. What little I can find shows that the bolt holding the two pieces together loosens up over time. One guy tried blue, then red locktite. He finally settled on Rocksett. That seems to be holding for how. I'll try to do some POA/POI return testing when I get mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. What little I can find shows that the bolt holding the two pieces together loosens up over time. One guy tried blue, then red locktite. He finally settled on Rocksett. That seems to be holding for how. I'll try to do some POA/POI return testing when I get mine.
That was me.  I say go straight to Rocksett or at least Red Loctite.  

How the JL Dust cover locks into the cover into the piece that interfaces with the rear sight area.  

This is what happens when the screw loosens up.  you can see a gap.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That was me.  I say go straight to Rocksett or at least Red Loctite.  

How the JL Dust cover locks into the cover into the piece that interfaces with the rear sight area.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57852/E9BBF1F1-64DB-41ED-9B3F-1974135B6F00-2429588.jpg

This is what happens when the screw loosens up.  you can see a gap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57852/F877F763-FA96-4A3E-A8EE-29D106F5253E-2429587.jpg
View Quote

Looks like range toy design level. Too much adjustment.

I would be tempted to stake it, or even assemble it as you want, then lightly tac the steel (i assume?) hinge portion in the gap between the recess and screw head. It’s not like it is a zenitco item you are worried about altering.

Eta: if the hinge is aluminum, then the weld wouldn’t be as simple.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would be tempted to stake it, or even assemble it as you want, then lightly tac the steel (i assume?) hinge portion in the gap between the recess and screw head. It’s not like it is a zenitco item you are worried about altering.

View Quote
Eh, maybe?  I see where you're coming from.  However, I don't consider set screw gas blocks on ARs to be range toys and I've seen them come loose w/ red loctite applied.  When I do mine, I confirm good ejection and all that, then Rocksett the set screws in place.  I'm not especially concerned about having to Rocksett a screw in place.  Everything else that's threaded (except maybe muzzles (shims or crush washer) and castles nuts (staked)) on my rifles get some sort of thread lock on it (purple, blue, etc).
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The big thing is that screw is in a high heat zone and thus you'd need to make sure it has some type high temp thread locker in place.  I agree a different design could fix that issue but might not allow it to be a universal dust cover.  I'm bias and love my Zenitco B33 dustcover.  I'm hoping PSA can get that done as I'd love to replace this with one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Eh, maybe?  I see where you're coming from.  However, I don't consider set screw gas blocks on ARs to be range toys and I've seen them come loose w/ red loctite applied.  When I do mine, I confirm good ejection and all that, then Rocksett the set screws in place.  I'm not especially concerned about having to Rocksett a screw in place.  Everything else that's threaded (except maybe muzzles (shims or crush washer) and castles nuts (staked)) on my rifles get some sort of thread lock on it (purple, blue, etc).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA needs to tool up for the B33 cover, they could sell them like hot cakes for $300-500 a piece.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Just checked my order and it shows shipped.  Tracking is still at label created, so hopefully it goes out today and I can pick it up this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed. What little I can find shows that the bolt holding the two pieces together loosens up over time. One guy tried blue, then red locktite. He finally settled on Rocksett. That seems to be holding for how. I’ll try to do some POA/POI return testing when I get mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine arrived from PSA slightly loose, that was frustrating to figure out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
My JL billet/SBA3 is still processing. Ordered about 3 minutes after they went live.

Maybe I'll have it next week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#43]
UPS says my 102 will be at my ffl on Friday, but they said that last time, and UPS actually delivered on Saturday, which I didn't think UPS did
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

PSA needs to tool up for the B33 cover, they could sell them like hot cakes for $300-500 a piece.
View Quote

People buying PSA rifles aren't typically spending $500 on an optic mount.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speak for yourself. I've bought over 20 PSAKs and I've put lots of Zenitco stuff, even at current ban pricing, on them. Even a quick scan of Youtube will show that plenty of people have put $1500 or more worth of upgrades onto a PSA host. Particularly in an environment where combloc pricing is through the roof ($4k for an SLR-104FR is "normal" now), I actually have more Zenitka gear on my PSAs than my comblocs. Why? Because if I'm putting wear and tear on a rifle for a class, I'd rather beat up a $900 PSAK versus one of my Izzys.

Honestly, I don't understand why I should hesitate to put a B-33 on an PSAK. I'd argue that functionality gain of a B-33 on a PSAK far outweighs the benefit of spending $500 on a fancy aftermarket scope mount for a $900 Colt. When an AK Master Mount side optic mount or a TWS costs ~$200 and comes with more issues (for right side folding stocks or stability of zero), a B-33 option isn't a terrible option. If PSA can make one for $250, I'd buy them all day long (and if you can make a TWS for $160, there's no reason a company with Palmetto's scale can't make a B-33 clone profitable at that price).

To be honest, the barrier to putting Zenitka on every AK I own is primarily that they're hard to get a hold of now, rather than that the price of admission is too high.

A lot of hate is directed at PSA, but where would the industry be today without Palmetto? People who hate on companies that try to (1) make guns more affordable, (2) develop a ton of new products that increase the options available to us, and (3) actually try to fix issues that come up when they develop new things.... well, those people aren't thinking about the things that will make the firearms community successful in the long term.

While people may point to the growing pains with the 74/105 line, I have to note that almost no one claims the GF3/4/5s are bad today. So PSA went from 0 to a 7.62 AK that I'd put right alongside a WASR, all in a few years. If you hate them for that, you hate guns.

EDIT: I counted, and my PSAK roster is actually 24, not counting the 102s on the way to my FFL. And yes, I have a similar number of comblocs, so I'm not trying to be a PSA fanboy here. I'm just saying that PSA is good for the firearms community, and the AK community in particular.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the idea that most PSA customers are budget oriented is true. However, when it comes to AK-100 series guns they can be hard to find/build and putting expensive furniture on them is perfectly reasonable even if they are PSA AK's. At that point it's not about the budget shopper its about the availability of niche guns, and availability of reliable furniture/clone furniture and not so much about price.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think the idea that most PSA customers are budget oriented is true. However, when it comes to AK-100 series guns they can be hard to find/build and putting expensive furniture on them is perfectly reasonable even if they are PSA AK's. At that point it's not about the budget shopper its about the availability of niche guns, and availability of reliable furniture/clone furniture and not so much about price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. On top of that, it’s not like these rifles are the PSA budget ARs of a decade ago where a B33 would be a more than the whole rifle. I’ll have $1400 in this 102 after the transfer fee. That’s before I eventually SBR it once I confirm it runs. I’m not above sinking another $500 in it to get an effective scope mount for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also true for the 74s. At this point, it's realistically either a Riley or a PSA if you want a new one, and more often than not $2-4k if you want a used commiegun.

Good luck if you want a true 5.45 krink.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Mine shipped today and UPS says it will be at my FFL Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mine shipped today and UPS says it will be at my FFL Tuesday.
View Quote
Mine shows out for delivery.  Hopefully this UPS driver doesn't try to make delivery before they open at 10a local and I have to wait until Monday like the last time I had something sent there.

ETA: Well damn, they actually delivered after opening for once.  I'm heading to get it after work today.  Will post pics and comparisons to my SLR106.
Page / 6
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top