Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2022 3:26:21 PM EDT
PSA is finally keeping them well stocked, and they’re still flying off the shelves. Who picked one up? Are the initial kinks worked out?

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also like to know this
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been wanting to make this thread as well, so in for replies.

An easy 105 SBR project is so tempting!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish there were more barrel configurations, I either want a 13.7ish” rifle with a pinned flash hider or an unpinned 16” rifle like this:

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PSA is finally keeping them well stocked, and they’re still flying off the shelves. Who picked one up? Are the initial kinks worked out?

View Quote

Bought one on June 2nd, hopefully it ships out in the next day or two, and I'll let you guys know. As I understand it was the Toolcraft bolt carrier that was the issue. Either way have a spare on deck if it fails, but will keep y'all updated.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought the ak105 with railed  dust cover. Received it last week, first day at range couldn't get it to group even at 50 yards with a well used Eotech on the dust cover. Figured the optic was no good and replaced it with a new fixed power 5x. Still all over the place, checked everything on the pistol, and discovered the single screw that holds the dust cover to the dogleg was loose, tightened it and was getting 5 shot groups in the 1-1.5" range with 7n6 at 50 yds. Which is roughly what I expected with this pistol and ammo.

I was just about done for the day when the pistol started failing to fire, the  cases showed light to no primer strikes.   Checked the bolt and the firing pin was jammed with 2 pieces of primer in the firing pin channel. I found the cases from my last 5 shot group and... pierced primers on two of them.

Pistol is being sent back with less than 100 rds through it. Really wanted to love this pistol, even after hearing that this was a possibility from Garandthumb's ak74 review. It's a real shame.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've taken mine out a few times.  No reliability issues with 50-60 gr. ammo.  It doesn't work with 69 gr. Ukraine ammo, which can be finicky in a lot of 74's.  I've used various 74 mags and all seem to work fine. Accuracy was good at 25 yards & seems to prefer the currently available Wolf ammo.  Haven't shot it past that.   Mine's SBR'd.  I haven't tried it since adding PSA's railed receiver cover.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Dump,

Good looking rig.  I just received my builder kit last week.  Filing Form 1 ASAP.  I had plans of putting wood and a triangle on it, but after seeing your rifle I think I will add a folder with M4 stock...  

what folding stock extension is that?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dump,

Good looking rig.  I just received my builder kit last week.  Filing Form 1 ASAP.  I had plans of putting wood and a triangle on it, but after seeing your rifle I think I will add a folder with M4 stock...  

what folding stock extension is that?
View Quote

Sure Shot USA.  It was actually in stock when I ordered it a few months ago.  

I'm just waiting for a rail system I like at a reasonable price.  I actually had the Sure Shot, but by the time I got it (took about 4 months), I decided I'd rather have the $600 I paid for it and sold it. I'd be happy with the PSA sold JL billet when they come back in stock.  And than I'll probably paint it.

I'll also pick-up the 102 when they're available and SBR that.  I like short rifles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PM Sent.

Josiah
View Quote

Responded, excellent customer service. I have every confidence this will be resolved, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an AK-105 folder furniture ready arriving in 2 days

Plan to SBR it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got my 105 in today!

And right out the gate, the Toolcraft Carrier Group is out of spec as it is getting caught/stuck during the cycling of the action in the receiver which was pointed out on a Youtube Video months back specifically reviewing their first batches they released. Swapped it out with my JRA 74 Bulgarian Carrier Group, and the issue was remedied, as no issues in the Carrier Group getting hung up on the receiver. Have yet to shoot it, but outside of the carrier group haven't been disappointed with anything else, and I am hopeful. Will update once again after my next range day hopefully this weekend or next.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And right out the gate, the Toolcraft Carrier Group is out of spec as it is getting caught/stuck during the cycling of the action in the receiver which was pointed out on a Youtube Video months back specifically reviewing their first batches they released. Swapped it out with my JRA 74 Bulgarian Carrier Group, and the issue was remedied, as no issues in the Carrier Group getting hung up on the receiver. Have yet to shoot it, but outside of the carrier group haven't been disappointed with anything else, and I am hopeful. Will update once again after my next range day hopefully this weekend or next.
View Quote

It would probably be best to take it and shoot it a few times to see what happens. If you don't want to fire the gun, pull the bolt carrier back all the way, then release it. Do this a few dozen times. Please update us and let us know if the rifle cycles after the first few times. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to shoot it. I am sure it will be fine. Cycling a firearm by hand and saying there is a problem is not a good way to test a firearm. I guarantee you if you shoot it, it will be fine.

Also, FYI. Some of those videos where done by people/competition that bought a gun on purpose to have a problem. We are changing the AK market and they are doing gorilla warfare on us.

ETA, the 105/74 platform is our number one selling platform. We rarely see an actual issue and if we do, fix it right away. There are people out there claiming to have a problem that have never purchased anything from us.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure what issue your particular 105 is having, but it's pretty common with all AK's to have the carrier group feel like it's getting hung-up.  I too would recommend shooting it first.  And if you feel there's an actual problem, PSA will take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Just get a Zpap, PSA's not there yet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
what if I want a rifle that uses standard furniture?

I'm about 90% there on buying one of their 105's. I don't really need one since I already have a 105, but they're hawt!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You need to shoot it. I am sure it will be fine. Cycling a firearm by hand and saying there is a problem is not a good way to test a firearm. I guarantee you if you shoot it, it will be fine.

Also, FYI. Some of those videos where done by people/competition that bought a gun on purpose to have a problem. We are changing the AK market and they are doing gorilla warfare on us.

ETA, the 105/74 platform is our number one selling platform. We rarely see an actual issue and if we do, fix it right away. There are people out there claiming to have a problem that have never purchased anything from us.
View Quote

Will definitely shoot it with the Carrier Group it came with, but it is definitely getting hung up and I'm having to force it forward sometimes although I will definitely give it a break in period. I'm not here to play the social politics when it comes to your product lineup. PSA have been good to me, no hate here. I'm super stoked that y'all have gone the 100 Series route, and have no doubt with the volume y'all put out there are going to be a few QC issues that come up every once and awhile let alone on a brand new product, not even saying this is the issue on mine, like you said I need to shoot it. I'm simply pointing out the carrier is getting hung up going forward, and some force is required, and its been pointed out by someone else, whether its industry politics means nothing to me. I've owned 2 dozen AK's  or more and I've never seen this right out the box, maybe I've gotten lucky. Just pointing out what I've noticed, but like I said I will shoot it. Another potential concern I've noticed is my MI  Gen 2 Side Rail mount is center over bore on the 105, but its not center over bore on my PSA 104 that I bought a few months back in January, every time I take the 104 out I have to slightly re-zero my optic, which means its either the mount itself, or the side rail on the 104 may not have been properly installed, can not be definitively answered until I try it out on the 105 after a few range trips. Either way y'all have me sold, and looking forward to more of your AK products. This is just me pointing out what I've noticed, and hope it helps. As soon as I make a range trip with the 105 will definitely report back on the Carrier group.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought the railed dust cover 105 with the SBA3 brace a few weeks ago and have had no issues with it so far. My first PSA gun was the AK-P I bought I believe in 2018, or whenever those were released, and that thing has been smooth as butter and problem free. The original AK-74 I ordered from them had light primer strikes, but it ended up being small primer pieces stuck in the firing pin channel. PSA wanted me to send the gun back but I never bothered and just switched the firing pin to a Bulgarian one I ordered online.

I know they might have done some additional work to the 74 if I sent it in, but it seemed easier to just switch out the firing pin myself. Any other issues, I know they would take care of it for me, so I've been a satisfied PSA customer so far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PM Sent.

Josiah
View Quote

Got my pistol back yesterday, took it to the range this morning.

TLDR: Palmetto State Armory stands behind their products, and will take care of their customers.  

Full Version: PSA took 30+ days to get it fixed and returned, and had a bump or two along the way. PSA went above and beyond to make it right, and I was more than satisfied with the efforts, specifically Josiah delivered beyond expectation. According to PSA the bolt assembly was replaced and head spaced to the existing trunnion and barrel. Everything ran flawlessly after a sight in, and shooting around 100 rds.  If you want an ak105ish firearm, the PSA AK-105 is a great option, the fit and finish are great and the options when purchasing are exhaustive. I would not hesitate to buy anything in the PSA AK 100 series, they seem to have it figured out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heavy, proprietary furniture, and a worse finish.

Nope. PSA is succeeding in making a fine American AK and YOU should be extremely happy about that. The market needs them to be successful.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137193/7a4a9776-2418573.jpgI have an AK-105 folder furniture ready arriving in 2 days

Plan to SBR it.

View Quote
I bought the exact thing and it was lightly keyholing/unstable rounds every round at 50yds, with tulamo and spam can surplus. . At 100yds it was 2foot groups  Also, the bolt was soft, Rc of 38.  It went back and after a week i was refunded.......sadly there was no reason for what was happening. Didnt demand a refund, it just happened..........it was the second psa AK product i had and will be my.last PSA product. Dont wanna bash, but who is going QC on these? Toolcraft is making soft bolts, and the barrels wont stabilize the ammo?   How is anyone else not having these issues? Its AWESOME they are making AKs, but what does it matter if they suck? :/

I really wanted this to work but they do not. Buyer beware.

Proof is in the pudding:

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought the exact thing and it was lightly keyholing/unstable rounds every round at 50yds, with tulamo and spam can surplus. . At 100yds it was 2foot groups  Also, the bolt was soft, Rc of 38.  It went back and after a week i was refunded.......sadly there was no reason for what was happening. Didnt demand a refund, it just happened..........it was the second psa AK product i had and will be my.last PSA product. Dont wanna bash, but who is going QC on these? Toolcraft is making soft bolts, and the barrels wont stabilize the ammo?   How is anyone else not having these issues?

View Quote

I'll have time to test mine next friday. I will probably report back with my results next weekend. I'll shoot a mix of surplus and other surplus because I am sitting on a lot of surplus.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought the exact thing and it was lightly keyholing/unstable rounds every round at 50yds, with tulamo and spam can surplus. . At 100yds it was 2foot groups  Also, the bolt was soft, Rc of 38.  It went back and after a week i was refunded.......sadly there was no reason for what was happening. Didnt demand a refund, it just happened..........it was the second psa AK product i had and will be my.last PSA product. Dont wanna bash, but who is going QC on these? Toolcraft is making soft bolts, and the barrels wont stabilize the ammo?   How is anyone else not having these issues? Its AWESOME they are making AKs, but what does it matter if they suck? :/

Proof is in the pudding:

https://i.postimg.cc/Ghf8YBqr/IMG20220714204153.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/J7PBrYXs/IMG20220714213804.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zvtLx3NC/IMG20220715170709.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/pXr5pQQq/IMG20220715192614.jpg

View Quote

That bolt shows normal wear for an Ak it is not soft, the surfaces wear together like that on all AK platforms including com bloc guns.

S&W discontinued their AR15 5.45 upper/rifle series because of complaints of keyholing. The 5.45 ammo that is available is very inconsistent and is designed to yaw. The problem is due to the inconsistency of the ammo it sometimes leads from yawing to keyholing. You can make it not keyhole with most ammo, but it will keyhole with some rounds due the inconsistency of the ammo and the design of the round. The important thing is to find ammo that works with your rifle. If you put a broad range of 5.45 ammo in any 74/105 you will find some types that keyhole and some that don’t. It is the nature of the round itself. If you google this topic you will this issue across a broad range of platforms that have used 5.45.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t think I have ever came across 2 foot groups with a combloc 74, except some early anecdotes online about a Tantal or Aims issue from Century.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That bolt shows normal wear for an Ak it is not soft, the surfaces wear together like that on all AK platforms including com bloc guns.

S&W discontinued their AR15 5.45 upper/rifle series because of complaints of keyholing. The 5.45 ammo that is available is very inconsistent and is designed to yaw. The problem is due to the inconsistency of the ammo it sometimes leads from yawing to keyholing. You can make it not keyhole with most ammo, but it will keyhole with some rounds due the inconsistency of the ammo and the design of the round. The important thing is to find ammo that works with your rifle. If you put a broad range of 5.45 ammo in any 74/105 you will find some types that keyhole and some that don't. It is the nature of the round itself. If you google this topic you will this issue across a broad range of platforms that have used 5.45.
View Quote

Im going to disagree on all points here. Had a waffen werks -74 a decade ago, never saw any yawing. Some of the ammo i used was left over from that rifle. I shot the waffen out to about 350 yds and it was plenty accurate.  It was a us made barrel on that as well. Spam can and tulammo was great.

That PSA saw about 25 rnds. Every round but about 5 was shot on that target. The bolt showed smilar wear to my 5000+ rnd SAR-1. Rollover and peening in 25rds? No go. On a hunch, I took it to work and Rockwell tested it.....PSA Rc was 38. SAR-1 Rc was 45.  Started googling, and from what infound the carrier is 38-40, and bolts are at minimum 40 to be good.

I hope others are able to have theirs function. Mine wasnt useable.

100yds: (i shoot about 3x a week and shoot about moa with my M1A and ARs  that have irons, fwiw)

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Stupid question, but are you using the dust cover to mount optics?

Mine shot like that when I first received it, couldn't figure it out until I took a real good look at the single screw on the dust cover dogleg. It was loose from the factory. Tightened it up and got the expected accuracy.

Just a thought.

Edit: NVM I went back and looked at your pics, no railed dust cover.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Got one of the barreled receivers. Took it out for a test run and it ran great. Got a rough zero, accuracy was what I expected for having a half assed zero so I called it good enough and let some friends dump a few couple hundred rounds through it. All seemed well.

Second time out things started to fall apart after about 10 rounds. Problems fully cycling which led to problems extracting/feeding and eventually a spent case stuck in the trigger group, which continued after clearing. It was essentially non-functional.

Before getting going that day I replaced the 105s booster with the JMAC RRD-4C that lives on my PSA 104 (which has been flawless btw) to kill what little recoil there is. Going to throw the booster back on to see if it resolves the issue. Now that I think about it I noticed, and others commented as well on day one, the PSA 105 has little recoil relative to other 5.45 guns. Its a soft shooter. Perhaps its a little "under gassed" ?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got one of the barreled receivers. Took it out for a test run and it ran great. Got a rough zero, accuracy was what I expected for having a half assed zero so I called it good enough and let some friends dump a few couple hundred rounds through it. All seemed well.

Second time out things started to fall apart after about 10 rounds. Problems fully cycling which led to problems extracting/feeding and eventually a spent case stuck in the trigger group, which continued after clearing. It was essentially non-functional.

Before getting going that day I replaced the 105s booster with the JMAC RRD-4C that lives on my PSA 104 (which has been flawless btw) to kill what little recoil there is. Going to throw the booster back on to see if it resolves the issue. Now that I think about it I noticed, and other commented as well on day one, the PSA 105 has little recoil relative to other 5.45 guns. Its a soft shooter. Perhaps its a little "under gassed" ?
View Quote
Just as a suggestion guys, list the ammo u used if ya can. It's strange some shoot straight and some throw em unstable.

That's a weird fault.....my ejection was 5-8ft away. Not 25-50ft like my romy ak but enough that it cycled perfectly in a small area as well. Ik they are a bit under gassed but it shouldn't just chug to a stop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just as a suggestion guys, list the ammo u used if ya can. It's strange some shoot straight and some throw em unstable.

That's a weird fault.....my ejection was 5-8ft away. Not 25-50ft like my romy ak but enough that it cycled perfectly in a small area as well. Ik they are a bit under gassed but it shouldn't just chug to a stop.
View Quote

7n6 shoots as well as it should, and the 105 chucks brass into the next county, but it has been to PSA and repaired already. Would actually be curious to test the hardness of the new bolt they put in, after reading this thread.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

7n6 shoots as well as it should, and the 105 chucks brass into the next county, but it has been to PSA and repaired already. Would actually be curious to test the hardness of the new bolt they put in, after reading this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't pay any attention to where it was sending brass. Has anyone tried it without the booster? Traditionally (and sorry if you already know this) they force gas back into the gun to help it cycle, but are generally not needed. If I cant be obnoxious and run it with a giant brake Ill be a little sad, and it will have to go back. Will follow up with I find out
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Well boys, I think I figured it out. Had some time to dick around with it today and noticed the gas tube had so much play in it I was able to pretty much remove it with the retainer closed.

Then I saw it. I don't know much, but I know the gas block shouldn't be that far forward. RMA here we come.

Question on that, since it was purchased as a barreled receiver do I need to strip off all the parts I threw at it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Question on that, since it was purchased as a barreled receiver do I need to strip off all the parts I threw at it?
View Quote

No, I sent a rifle back that started out as a barreled receiver.  That was per PSA's OK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well boys, I think I figured it out. Had some time to dick around with it today and noticed the gas tube had so much play in it I was able to pretty much remove it with the retainer closed.

Then I saw it. I don't know much, but I know the gas block shouldn't be that far forward. RMA here we come.

https://i.imgur.com/E66jqI8.jpg

View Quote
Oh lordy..........i....

Mannnn
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you PM me your order number, I can get you an RMA and prepaid UPS call tag.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

Thanks Josiah, PM sent.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top