Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
Greetings,
I don’t have much time on this platform and am seeking assistance. I have a Zastava M92 SBR Project (already form 1’d) and the firearm is currently in it’s original pistol configuration. I’m working towards an end result that looks like this:

My first question is whether any AK underfolder stock kit will work in the receiver? It’s been hard for me to find one specific to the M92. I have found a few 4 rivet Yugo stocks for the M70. I’m not sure whether I can use an AK kit with the M70 stock or if this type of configuration is a no go. Any other advice or experience on this front is greatly appreciated.

The second question I have is around the muzzle device; I’m curious if there is a proper source or length for this? I see a number of options.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The Zastava muzzle device is imported by Century. Best price I've found is here: https://www.preppergunshop.com/cent-arms-muzzle-brake-for-pap-krink

AFAIK, it's the same stock as on a stamped M70. I'd get one of the later stocks with the reinforcing plate if possible. Pretty sure any stock hardware kit will work. Apex has Yugo underfolding stocks 3 for $15 right now. The ones I got were all usable, if cosmetically iffy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Can’t answer your “underfolder” question as I went with a side folder. As for the muzzle brake, I took the welded stock thread protector by using a metal file. I then bought a manticore night brake. Loved it and used it for a while. About six months ago, I switched over to a Bulgarian 4 piece and never looked back.

I don’t have a pic with the current set up but here it is with the night brake.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the feedback, I appreciate it. I went ahead and ordered the Krink muzzle device from Prepper. It also sounds like most underfolder kits will work along with a proper 4/8 stock.

Is it necessary to replace the rear trunnion or is that reasonable to simply smith the existing one with the proper adjustments to accept the underfolder kit?

Curious on what others experience has been, in this regard.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The rear trunnion in these as imported is an undrilled uf trunnion.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rear trunnion in these as imported is an undrilled uf trunnion.
View Quote
I thought that was just the Draco's?  I might be wrong, but I know all new production draco's have an undrilled underfolder trunnion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic of the m92 I have.

Link Posted: 3/3/2018 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I pulled my trunnion and swapped it out for a UF trunnion. DO NOT do that, Mail it to https://mygunsnorthwest.com. Matt Yeamans is a magician with AKs and great to communication. Mail it to him and an underfolder stock of your choice. He will machine your trunnion in place and fit your stock. You don’t have to use a Zastava stock, many have used Polish or Romanian stocks. Having an unmachined trunnion gives you options.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Plan B would be a VZ58 stock.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I pulled my trunnion and swapped it out for a UF trunnion. DO NOT do that, Mail it to https://mygunsnorthwest.com. Matt Yeamans is a magician with AKs and great to communication. Mail it to him and an underfolder stock of your choice. He will machine your trunnion in place and fit your stock. You don’t have to use a Zastava stock, many have used Polish or Romanian stocks. Having an unmachined trunnion gives you options.
View Quote
Confirmed: Matt is going to do the trunion/underfolder work on this build. I picked up a Polish NOS Kit from APEX and found a decent Yugo 4/8 stock.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
As said above the rear trunion is an undrilled underfolder - You can use a drill for the correct diameter holes (use a template like an old section of underfolder trunion as a guide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all of the help with this, pleased with the results this far.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can’t answer your “underfolder” question as I went with a side folder. As for the muzzle brake, I took the welded stock thread protector by using a metal file. I then bought a manticore night brake. Loved it and used it for a while. About six months ago, I switched over to a Bulgarian 4 piece and never looked back.

I don’t have a pic with the current set up but here it is with the night brake.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379800/C17E5719-F774-4282-85F9-F55C98FFE234-457527.JPG
View Quote
@RO73

Details on that stock setup?  Looks like a galil.  How’d you mount it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I built mine with a Polish underfolder.  But I've since rewelded the UF holes and converted to a VZ58 side folder.

I made the muzzle device and can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@RO73

Details on that stock setup?  Looks like a galil.  How’d you mount it?
View Quote
@Tankdawg0057

It's an ACE 7.5" stock with a stormwerkz folding mechanism.  Had the rear of the receiver drilled and tapped, then installed a 6 degree shim, then stock adapter, then stock.  It is solid.  Here are a couple of pics.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I built mine with a Polish underfolder.  But I've since rewelded the UF holes and converted to a VZ58 side folder.

https://i.imgur.com/BBAGG5E.jpg

I made the muzzle device and can.
View Quote
What’s required for the VZ58 folder? That looks good.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's required for the VZ58 folder? That looks good.
View Quote
A hole in the rear trunnion, a flat head cap screw and a lock nut.  IIRC there may be a second hole or divot for an anti-rotation pin.  But it was easy peasy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A hole in the rear trunnion, a flat head cap screw and a lock nut.  IIRC there may be a second hole or divot for an anti-rotation pin.  But it was easy peasy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's required for the VZ58 folder? That looks good.
I’ll look for a write up when I get home. I have a couple of these pistols and that looks like a cool option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'll look for a write up when I get home. I have a couple of these pistols and that looks like a cool option
View Quote
I don't know if there are any out there but I'll take some pics of mine.  I had to modify a socket to tighten the nut because there's so little access, but it was way easier overall than the original underfolder I did.  It maybe took 2 hours and that included figuring out just how I was going to do it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know if there are any out there but I'll take some pics of mine.  I had to modify a socket to tighten the nut because there's so little access, but it was way easier overall than the original underfolder I did.  It maybe took 2 hours and that included figuring out just how I was going to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look for a write up when I get home. I have a couple of these pistols and that looks like a cool option
Sounds good
I’ve got the manticore triangle for one but have never put it together.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds good
I've got the manticore triangle for one but have never put it together.
View Quote
That's a good option too
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a good option too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good
I've got the manticore triangle for one but have never put it together.
That's a good option too
It's going on my 92 most likely but the 85 still needs a stock which is why I am interested in your setup.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Those trying to decide between a "booster" type muzzle device and the "4 piece" /Bulgarian type flash hider should watch this video (yes yes - I realize it's subjective.  Whatever.  Take it for what it's worth).

Zastava M92 PAP and Draco rifle brake test at night
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thank you for all of the help with this, pleased with the results this far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/345639/B9707E0C-2E9C-4AA1-8C67-F5FAF9710770-508007.jpg
View Quote
@simplefolk

If you were aiming for an accurate replica of an actual Zastava M92 select fire rifle:  congrats!  It looks extremely similar to the one you linked in your first post (that photo appears to come from an international weapons show).

How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one exactly like that. If you don’t mind could you list the items that you used?  I’m assuming that it started out as a pistol. I most definitely love the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want one exactly like that. If you don’t mind could you list the items that you used?  I’m assuming that it started out as a pistol. I most definitely love the muzzle device.
View Quote
Which one?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#28]
To install an underfolding stock, you can drill the holes required for the under folder.  If you have patience and a drill press, its not too bad of a project.

Childers has a template/layout guide for Polish underfolding receiver, the 3 holes are used as a guide for the stock.  Or you can measure, mark and drill on your own if you prefer.  I think the drill bit for the larger hole is 18mm for a Yugo UF stock.  There is a few threads on the AKfiles website.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Both the underfolding stock and the VZ58 stock look awesome!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking at the Vz58 stock, I am curious if one could cut off the butt and add a Tailhook mod 1 to it.  I did similar to an MP-5 stock, and If one adds a tailhook , it can retain its classification as a handgun.

My Wheels are turning for a project.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Paradude54

The build started as a M92 pistol, I sourced the under folder off of Gunbroker, it's a Polish 4 rivet. I sourced the muzzle device from Apex. Matt Yeamans at mygunsnorthwest.com installed both components for me and was great to work with.

@Dominion21

Thanks for the feedback! Would you believe, I still have not had the unit out to the range yet? Unfortunately, I've been to busy! Soon though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice M92 simplefolk. I had my Pap m92 done this year as a sbr once I received my tax stamp. It looks just like yours but I went with the CNC Warrior shorty m92 booster because I wanted it as short as possible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice M92 simplefolk. I had my Pap m92 done this year as a sbr once I received my tax stamp. It looks just like yours but I went with the CNC Warrior shorty m92 booster because I wanted it as short as possible.
View Quote
Thanks HDrider and congrats on the SBR. Do you have much time behind it? I’m curious how it handles and performs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I finally got this unit out to the range. Only fired 90 rounds for basic function testing and everything performed well. Trigger and safety needs some work, they are a little crusty.

Great little firearm though, will clean it up, fiddle with the trigger and safety and get it back out again shortly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I finally got this unit out to the range. Only fired 90 rounds for basic function testing and everything performed well. Trigger and safety needs some work, they are a little crusty.

Great little firearm though, will clean it up, fiddle with the trigger and safety and get it back out again shortly.
View Quote
I put an ALG trigger and a Krebs safety in mine and it resolved those two issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks @RO73 - I've got an ALG trigger in the drawer, I wasn't sure if they functioned well with the PAP. I'll toss that in later today.

I think I'll order a Kreb safety as well, I've never tried one of those.

Thanks for the recon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks @RO73 - I've got an ALG trigger in the drawer, I wasn't sure if they functioned well with the PAP. I'll toss that in later today.

I think I'll order a Kreb safety as well, I've never tried one of those.

Thanks for the recon.
View Quote
Happy to help.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top