Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2019 7:12:22 PM EDT
I was just wondering how the AK folks here feel about LPVO's on an AK and, if they are popular, how you mount them?  These days in the AR world LPVO's seem to be the new hotness and I was just wondering if they are becoming as popular in the AK world.

The reason I ask is that I have a Rifle Dynamics RD502 (5.45) that will be arriving soon and I was trying to decide what optic I'd set it up with.  At first I was going with the no-brainer option of an Aimpoint T2 on the Ultimax that the rifle comes with.

On the other hand, most new AR's I build these days end up with a LPVO so I started wondering if the LPVO route was worth investigating for my new RD502 or whether I'd just stick with a T2.  My RD502 will come with a standard AK rail as well so I could use an RS Regulate type setup.  I'm not set on a LPVO and am most likely to stick with the T2, but I figured I'd just ask and see what others are doing.

and finally....

If you are in the club that you'd use an LPVO on a 74 Type AK - What LPVO would you choose (Say a budget of 2K or so)?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat OP. I'm debating on putting my spare USO or Leupold VX-R on one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was just wondering how the AK folks here feel about LPVO's on an AK and, if they are popular, how you mount them?  These days in the AR world LPVO's seem to be the new hotness and I was just wondering if they are becoming as popular in the AK world.

The reason I ask is that I have a Rifle Dynamics RD502 (5.45) that will be arriving soon and I was trying to decide what optic I'd set it up with.  At first I was going with the no-brainer option of an Aimpoint T2 on the Ultimax that the rifle comes with.

On the other hand, most new AR's I build these days end up with a LPVO so I started wondering if the LPVO route was worth investigating for my new RD502 or whether I'd just stick with a T2.  My RD502 will come with a standard AK rail as well so I could use an RS Regulate type setup.  I'm not set on a LPVO and am most likely to stick with the T2, but I figured I'd just ask and see what others are doing.

and finally....

If you are in the club that you'd use an LPVO on a 74 Type AK - What LPVO would you choose (Say a budget of 2K or so)?
View Quote
You probably don't see it much because AKs aren't popular with the competition crowd in the US, but you do see them in Russia.

I'd skip mounting any optic to the Ultimak and go with either an Attero AK mount, RS REGULATE side rail mount or TWS Dog Leg railed topcover to keep the T2 away from the heat.

As far as mounting an LPVO, I'd stick with RS REGULATE, and get a Nightforce ATACR 1-8x, alternatively, a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x Griffin ACSS MIL or MOA FFP reticle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a H2 on a 7,62x39, its cool from 0-300 shooting man sized targets, but I ran into difficulties finding a solid, steady hold in the air above the target due to the bullet drop at that range. So I'm thinking about getting a LPVO with scaled reticle. But I dont want to break the bank for an AK optic. Main reason for tactical use of LPVO is target identification, not precision work, but I dig the ease of shooting with a little magnification. I'm looking at Vortex Viper and Leupold VX Series 1-6 and 2-10, anything above is probably a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Meopta Optika6 1-6 on order for an AK SBR project I have going.  At least I think I do.  Will probably sort out which optic I want on it last.  I'd love to put the Czech scope on my Czech Vz58 instead, but can't since it is too long and will cause malfunctions.

At the moment I'm planning on using an RS Regulate AK side rail mount.  I may buy two of the RS Regulate 30mm upper halfs, or just switch to a Midwest 30mm side rail.   Either should be fine, but getting the optic centered with 2 different mounts seems like more work than I want to do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I really want the new primary arms 2x to go on my AK. Seems like a perfect combo. Of course that opinion can change the instant I get behind it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Trijicon accupowers have been on clearance pricing at a few places for awhile now.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top