BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2018 7:59:41 PM EDT
I'm looking for my first AK and I'm a bit out of my element. I was initially looking at one from PSA and another from Century. I came across the Riley Defense model with the red stock at $699 at Atlantic Firearms. Is it worth the extra $200?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You want a WASR.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Zeke thinks it is gtg.

Then there's Ridgedaddy's opinion.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/Riley-Defense/64-164033/
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for my first AK and I'm a bit out of my element. I was initially looking at one from PSA and another from Century. I came across the Riley Defense model with the red stock at $699 at Atlantic Firearms. Is it worth the extra $200?
View Quote

My opinion OP. Buy something else. I've been meaning to take more pictures of the flaws with the Riley but I've been slacking in that department. Take my advice. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, look elsewhere OP.

Riley Defense AK47 - Broken Hope...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, look elsewhere OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InUEGMVAy7g
View Quote
That's tremendously disappointing to see.  Just published today too.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Cast bolt carrier?

Then no thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Despite Robs video the Rileys have been very solid for the clients over the last 1.5 years. This being said Robs gun did not fare well and not sure why. There are thousands of these rifles out in the wild being shot.
View Quote
I agree with this statement. A serving size if one is just that. One. That being said when you get down to the nitty and gritty if the Riley there are some obvious discrepancies. I believe that they should address these issues. And I hope they do. Being a resident of metro Charlotte I want them to succeed at breaking the mold and the stigma that surrounds the American Ak.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
RobSki sure seems to have a lot of problems....
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
$500 US made AKs sure seem to have a lot of problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

$500 US made AKs sure seem to have a lot of problems.
View Quote
And N-paps and Arsenals....
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And N-paps and Arsenals....
View Quote
Do you think Rob is picking AK’s to have problems, or do you think he doesn’t know how to use one, or is breaking them on purpose? Please, give us your insights.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Robski has plenty of experience with an AK.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rob Ski doesn't have problems; but some of the rifles he reviews have problems that come to light when he inspects them after running them rather hard.

Excessive headspace present in a brand new rifle isn't Rob Ski's problem, it's a problem with the rifle he's reviewing.

When that head spacing increases even more after only 300 rounds, it still not Rob Ski's problem.

When that same rifle won't run through more than a few rounds between stoppages; guess where the problem lies?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have shipped more than 1400 Riley rifles in the last 1.5 years and thus far we really have not had many issues crop up with them . Most have been cosmetic issues and not recalling any structural issues and certainly not what Rob ran into. So the Norm for the Riley rifles has been very good plus plenty of actual shooters out there with positive results . All of this said we have seen issues from time to time with .....Ruger, Glock, Smith & Wesson , Arsenal , Century Arms etc . So yes it is quite possible for something to sneak past although that is still not an excuse for what Rob is reporting. Rob recently reviewed the Polish Pioneer AK and had a terrible time with that model. Each time he goes to the range it has to be frustrating to be the barer of bad news.
View Quote
100% and hopefully those watching know this. I just laugh when some people imply that Rob is purposely making rifles fail.

With a sample size of 1, you have to look at it for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

100% and hopefully those watching know this. I just laugh when some people imply that Rob is purposely making rifles fail.

With a sample size of 1, you have to look at it for what it is.
View Quote
Easy there buddy, I never said he purposely made rifles fail. I said he sure has a lot of problems.....maybe he's just unlucky?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Easy there buddy, I never said he purposely made rifles fail. I said he sure has a lot of problems.....maybe he's just unlucky?
View Quote
Did I say “TROPICS”? If you have a problem, bring it to GD or the pit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get A QC inspected WASR from Atlantic and look for some surplus wood furniture on the EE. Congrats your part of the AK family.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]
This is the WASR Quality Control Inspection that you're paying extra for at Atlantic:

"QC Inspected  ( Quick Check Inspection ): Our staff will perform a quick Visual inspection of the firearm's sights ( No cants within Combloc Mil Spec ), Magazine fit ( positive lock up ), Action operates  ( bolt moves freely ). Battle Zeroing responsibility of shooter. Sorry we do not offer custom inspection request.  This is an Atlantic Firearm Exclusive program".
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Rob does seem to have this ability to break AKs where others do not.

It does make me chuckle that this means the RAS47 is still the US-made king.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cast bolt carrier?

Then no thanks.
View Quote
These have Hungarian surplus bolts.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cast bolt carrier?

Then no thanks.
And he said bolt CARRIER which is listed as being cast.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really like Robs videos but I've followed some of you're comments in these forums and AK Files  and I agree, I think this community instead of bashing these companies right out the gate should give constructive input in the hopes these companies will listen and try,  too many times they catch so much shit and give up after first run, and the double edge sword is that it's helping drive the prices of Arsenal and other quality AKs up ridiculously expensive
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Delete.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really like Robs videos but I've followed some of you're comments in these forums and AK Files  and I agree, I think this community instead of bashing these companies right out the gate should give constructive input in the hopes these companies will listen and try,  too many times they catch so much shit and give up after first run, and the double edge sword is that it's helping drive the prices of Arsenal and other quality AKs up ridiculously expensive
View Quote
I don't believe that Rob's function is to test rifles on the behalf of the manufacturers and then report back to them with constructive criticism in order that they improve the quality of their rifles based on his observations.

What he more properly does, is using his own methodology,  review a random production sample and then present the raw results, good or bad, to his viewers without any sugar coating in order that they draw their own conclusions as to whether the rifles are acceptable for their needs, or literally garbage.

Rather than from Rob, or from we, the customers and end users, the  companies should receive their constructive input from the professional quality control people on their own payroll who, at the company's own expense,  have  access to test equipment and an adequate number of test samples to ensure that the rifles they sell to the public are properly built and safe.

Naturally, this should be done before the guns are released for sale, shipped,  and offered to the public.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree with you, and it's not Robs job to feed them the necessary input, but telling them that their company and products are shit, and getting his cult like followers (obviously not all of his followers) who hang on his every word to bash the company will not do us any favors for the AK community in the near future or give any incentive for anyone to try further on down the road, and commie shipments drying up, American AKs might be the only future this community might have
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have shipped more than 1400 Riley rifles in the last 1.5 years and thus far we really have not had many issues crop up with them . Most have been cosmetic issues and not recalling any structural issues and certainly not what Rob ran into. So the Norm for the Riley rifles has been very good plus plenty of actual shooters out there with positive results . All of this said we have seen issues from time to time with .....Ruger, Glock, Smith & Wesson , Arsenal , Century Arms etc . So yes it is quite possible for something to sneak past although that is still not an excuse for what Rob is reporting. Rob recently reviewed the Polish Pioneer AK and had a terrible time with that model. Each time he goes to the range it has to be frustrating to be the barer of bad news.
View Quote
Yep, they need to stop trying to crank out substandard AKs, so he can go back to shooting and having fun like he did with the VEPR and WASR models.  I bet he's getting fed up with all this junk on the market today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are constructive ways to convey problems with out it becoming a shit show on the internet. Robs rifle has not been the norm for what most have seen out of the Riley line thus far. Unlike all of the other manufactures out there Riley has not ran from Rob .Riley is asking for input and not ignoring Rob like IO, Century and more. They even asked if Rob would like to visit their facility to view their production and parts.
View Quote
This I agree with and most people don't understand the time and money it takes to accomplish this and the fact they are willing to try for a such a small community of enthusiasts where the profit is for so little it's not going to be instant success, and I am by no means defending that crap rifle Rob had got but I know Riley has thrown a lot out there to make it right and takes the time to listen to valuable input from the community.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rob does seem to have this ability to break AKs where others do not.

It does make me chuckle that this means the RAS47 is still the US-made king.
View Quote
You must have missed the PSA AK videos?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This I agree with and most people don't understand the time and money it takes to accomplish this and the fact they are willing to try for a such a small community of enthusiasts where the profit is for so little it's not going to be instant success, and I am by no means defending that crap rifle Rob had got but I know Riley has thrown a lot out there to make it right and takes the time to listen to valuable input from the community.
View Quote
Quoted:
Riley has just offered to fly out and meet with Rob to go over the gun with him ! Hopefully he will take them up on this so they can work together to figure this all out. Robs input would be beneficial .
View Quote
I believe it's completely improper and totally unfair to expect Rob to perform these kinds of services to a for profit company pro bono.

In my opinion, the company needs to expend it's own financial and technical resources to properly and adequately test and develop its own product lines or, alternatively,  find a way to properly renumerate Robski as a consultant which would be a sticky proposition considering his current position as an honest, fair, and unbiased firearms reviewer.

"The good of the community" notwithstanding, money talks and bullshit walks; and successful people don't get that way by extending their own talent and professional services to businesses for free.

Tough nut to figure out; for sure.

I wouldn't blame Rob a bit if he chooses not to become involved in this matter at that level.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There are constructive ways to convey problems with out it becoming a shit show on the internet. Robs rifle has not been the norm for what most have seen out of the Riley line thus far. Unlike all of the other manufactures out there Riley has not ran from Rob .Riley is asking for input and not ignoring Rob like IO, Century and more. They even asked if Rob would like to visit their facility to view their production and parts.
View Quote
The rifle Robski tested appeared to be a shit show and he communicated it in what I believe to be a fair manner to his viewers on the internet and "norm" or not, it's the unit Rob purchased and tested.

As one of those viewers,  I certainly appreciate his candor when reviewing a rifle that apparently doesn't work as it should,  and exhibits excessive headspace right out of the box, which in fact,  increases even more, after only a relatively small number of rounds are fired through it, and the rifle appeared to be extremely unreliable as well.

The alternative would be for him to have falsely colored or totally withheld the review from his internet viewers while opening a back channel to the manufacturer in order to try to resolve problems with the rifle.

What is or is not "a constructive way" probably depends on where one sits; with the company, or with his viewers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think you are taking it in the wrong fashion. We know Rob very well & have spoken to him during this process and are not disparaging him or his work in any way . As a matter of fact we have always encouraged him to be truthful & let the chips fall where they may.  If you notice we have actually donated several firearms to AK Operators Union over the years for him to shoot and then give away to members & will continue to support the Union . Nobody is asking for Rob to do their work but if he has issues there is no reason why he would not want to communicate directly with the manufacture his input.  If we as a AK community are all working towards the same goal a 10 minute phone call would not be out of line.
View Quote
10 minutes?

But I thought that Riley wanted to fly out and meet with him and also invited him to their facility?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I can respect Rob Ski's view of not communicating with vendors or manufacturers.  It would otherwise put him in the tough position of showing favor or elevating him above the average consumer - making the kinds of videos he does worthless.

Not saying that Riley is trying to do damage control, but Rob values his reputation so much that he won't risk the mere optic of him being in collusion.

Anyway, at the end of the day, Riley has the resources to ensure QC their rifles without Rob having to tell them "oh hey check your head spacing, guys!"
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, I was thinking - why would "talking to Rob" help when it's a matter of poor feeding with known-good mags and their rifle closing on a no-go gauge?  They need that rifle back - not really his input.  It's technical specs that are off - not how he's using it.

But the fact that it made it out the door closing on a no-go gauge is kind of scary, isn't it?  Doesn't bode well for quality control/testing of individual units.  A sample size of one is bad enough when it's headspace we're talking about.  Not even one should get out that is unsafe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Riley is reaching out and offering to talk to Rob , So they offered to have him come down, Fly out to see him or what ever it took to get his input and also look at his specific rifle. So I would guess that even 10 minutes on the phone would be better than nothing. Rob is working to improve the AK community & offerings.
View Quote
Here's the point everybody seems to be missing.

Rob said from the beginning he wasn't interested in any of the "Beta" testing for Riley. He wanted and was led to believe that he had purchased a final ready to go to market rifle. In fact, it is far from that. It's a pieced together hybrid of US and remanufactured military foreign parts. The rifle Rob is interested in testing hasn't even been produced yet.

So, initially he wanted to avoid being a tester for the development and now we all think he should be joyfully willing to be a darn Development Tester for RD?

Can't you see why he wants nothing to do with doing what he said he wanted nothing to do with in the very beginning?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was thinking - why would "talking to Rob" help when it's a matter of poor feeding with known-good mags and their rifle closing on a no-go gauge?  They need that rifle back - not really his input.  It's technical specs that are off - not how he's using it.

But the fact that it made it out the door closing on a no-go gauge is kind of scary, isn't it?  Doesn't bode well for quality control/testing of individual units.  A sample size of one is bad enough when it's headspace we're talking about.  Not even one should get out that is unsafe.
View Quote
Gotta agree.  What is Rob going to tell them, that isn't obvious- i.e. that rifle wasn't properly assembled, or was assembled from such sub-par components it didn't hold together when used as intended.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#44]
No one here is saying he needs to be their development tester, but he does these videos for all of us AK enthusiasts, and has gained the reputation for it, and wrote an entire rant about being tired of shit AKs, and the companies producing them, so here is Riley Def. offering to fly to him to inspect the rifle so they can correct their production operations to make sure this does not happen again, listen to his input and that of others in the community, to continue trying to produce for us a reasonably priced US Made AK, all on their company dollar, don't get me wrong that rifle has some serious concerns to someones' safety and should have never been allowed to pass QC, but Rob is tired of these crap AKs, and has made a point of it on the internet, and he has the ability to help be part of a solution to these poorly produced 'Merican AKs, why not go for it? You can only bitch for so long, either put up and help with a solution or just shut up, lot of complaining, and no problem solving, so why is it so hard for him to take up that offer and help out? I don't understand. I get he does not want to come off bias, I get it, but shouldn't we pull together as a community, and offer what we can to help rectify the production of crap made US AKs? That rifle he got is absolutely awful and a 100% dangerous, his input could potentially save someone from serious injury or death.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I would rather 1000 attempts and 1000 fails to finally get that 1, than to scare off anyone from trying, and that's whats going to happen if y'all keep bitching at these Companies, at least Riley Def.  is trying, and at least this one is bending over backwards as they should for the shit rifle they let slip. Granted this is a hobby but not to these companies putting up their own money and owing debt probably to produce a successful business operation for so little profit to such a small community, so lets be productive in helping to solve the problem instead of complaining, good commie AKs are drying up we are going need another alternative so lets help the situation not just bitch! I love what Rob does, and really respect him for his great videos, and passion for the AK platform, I think it would be very productive for manufacturers to take their time and get some of his input, and I think it would be beneficial for the community as a whole, and if he doesn't want to I will respect that as well as he has life outside of this hobby I get that, and everyone is entitled to their opinion and choice but I hope for us he steps up, and Riley Defense as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No one here is saying he needs to be their development tester, but he does these videos for all of us AK enthusiasts, and has gained the reputation for it, and wrote an entire rant about being tired of shit AKs, and the companies producing them, so here is Riley Def. offering to fly to him to inspect the rifle so they can correct their production operations to make sure this does not happen again, listen to his input and that of others in the community, to continue trying to produce for us a reasonably priced US Made AK, all on their company dollar, don't get me wrong that rifle has some serious concerns to someones' safety and should have never been allowed to pass QC, but Rob is tired of these crap AKs, and has made a point of it on the internet, and he has the ability to help be part of a solution to these poorly produced 'Merican AKs, why not go for it? You can only bitch for so long, either put up and help with a solution or just shut up, lot of complaining, and no problem solving, so why is it so hard for him to take up that offer and help out? I don't understand. I get he does not want to come off bias, I get it, but shouldn't we pull together as a community, and offer what we can to help rectify the production of crap made US AKs?
That rifle he got is absolutely awful and a 100% dangerous, his input could potentially save someone from serious injury or death.
View Quote
That's Riley Defense's responsibility; and your continuing to vociferously advocate to the contrary and push the ball into Robski's court  is becoming odd.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's Riley Defense's responsibility; and your continuing to vociferously advocate to the contrary and push the ball into Robski's court  is becoming odd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one here is saying he needs to be their development tester, but he does these videos for all of us AK enthusiasts, and has gained the reputation for it, and wrote an entire rant about being tired of shit AKs, and the companies producing them, so here is Riley Def. offering to fly to him to inspect the rifle so they can correct their production operations to make sure this does not happen again, listen to his input and that of others in the community, to continue trying to produce for us a reasonably priced US Made AK, all on their company dollar, don't get me wrong that rifle has some serious concerns to someones' safety and should have never been allowed to pass QC, but Rob is tired of these crap AKs, and has made a point of it on the internet, and he has the ability to help be part of a solution to these poorly produced 'Merican AKs, why not go for it? You can only bitch for so long, either put up and help with a solution or just shut up, lot of complaining, and no problem solving, so why is it so hard for him to take up that offer and help out? I don't understand. I get he does not want to come off bias, I get it, but shouldn't we pull together as a community, and offer what we can to help rectify the production of crap made US AKs?
That rifle he got is absolutely awful and a 100% dangerous, his input could potentially save someone from serious injury or death.
Well said...

I’ve been following this shit-show over at The Files, and Rob is doing exactly what he should be doing about the affair. The whole ‘flying out to meet Rob Ski in order to get his input’ reminds me of IO’s response to his video about their pile of crap-rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, we all understand what you're saying.  It would be great for a quality American-made AK to flourish in our market.  But I don't see how Rob can "help" them at all.  It's nuts and bolts - they don't need an advisor to tell them how to set the headspace, do they?  He's an AK operator, not an engineer.

When your new Ford truck won't start, do Ford reps fly to meet you and get your input on how you used the truck?  No, they take it back and repair it for free and apologize.

They're understandably wanting to do damage control.  At least they're not taking the IO approach and slinging mud at Rob.  If Rob takes his personal time to meet with them, I will be surprised.  I don't think I would.  Nothing to gain, and totally unnecessary unless he just wants to help them with PR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol not the best at typing sorry, but I believe Rob put the ball in his court by doing his videos, and then complaining about companies like RD, like I said much respect out to him for taking the time to do these videos, and doing what he does for this community.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#50]
As someone who purchased a Riley rifle I'm skeptical of it's longevity. I like what Rob does. He shows people the facts and doesn't hide anything. I'm a little concerned with what tool place with the Riley rifle but I'm not up in a fit about it. I'll continue to shoot and enjoy mine and keep a close eye on it. My advice to people looking for a cheap AK......... Do your research, understand what you are buying when you don't spend a lot of money. If you want a "Go to war" rifle you need to spend money. Aside from the wasr.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top