Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2018 4:20:31 AM EDT
I found a very clean 1969 Romanian RPK kit on a NoDak Spud receiver. Rifle looks really clean and with very little use, wood is perfect too.

My only AK is an Arsenal SLR95 I've had since the 90's. Never had a single complaint with it and haven't considered another AK, but this RPK looks pretty good and I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this type of build.

Since I have no experience with Romy RPK's, will they function fine with the same mags and drums that work with my SLR?

I'm trying to justify the $1200 price tag. I may be able to haggle some, but it's only been on the rack for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
well i just did a gunbroker search for rpk's and the cheapest on there for stamped actual rpk was 1200. Century m64 which is the same one i got. I paid a little more than 700 bucks for mine more than two years ago. Price does not seem to be going down, when i bought mine the aes-10b which is the best from what iv heard were in the 1000-1500 area depending factors like magazines and what not. 1200 was average though.

I do not believe anyone currently makes a stamped receiver rpk and none have been imported for some time. Century has their milled rpk and there are yugo's still being sold new.

1200 seems to be the going rate these days, i would offer 1000 see it they bite.

Things to consider about the rpk, its the cheapest SAW clone out there. They were built to handle 80rds a min. Meaning your finger will fall off before you over heat the gun. Drums which were designed with the rpk in mind are relatively cheap and work and readily available. Many parts are interchangeable with ak47s. Its quite a bit heavier than an ak47 and was really meant to be fired from a bipod. I have had more fun with mine than any AK. Really i dont think they ever need to be cleaned, i put 1000rds through mine without cleaning it. When i did it i think i  could have easily shot 3000rds without cleaning. It was dirty but nothing that would affect operation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply and info!

This RPK is definitely heavier than my SLR, and since mine is milled and has a heavy Krebs quad rail, that's saying a lot! The heavy barrel appeals to me for the same reason you pointed out, should definitely have no overheating issues. I also like the bipod mainly because its legs are so long, which I assume must be for clearance with mags. Since I'm a big guy the taller bipod will make shooting prone more comfortable.

Being that I live in Kali, availability of drums makes no difference to me - I can't buy them anyway. Glad I still have mine, though it won't be long before they are outlawed here I'm sure. When that day comes, I already have an adoptive home in Nevada that will house my stuff until I leave this state.

I figured the shop priced the gun at current market value, but since they haven't had it long I don't expect it to drop anytime soon. It gets a lot of attention and draws people to the rack. I know this shop, they won't deal this soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
California? Id save the money and put it towards getting the hell out of there
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL. Roger that!
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top