Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2020 12:03:16 AM EDT
I was looking for scope mounts for some of my AK's and noticed Atlantic has a weird option that uses the pistol grip as the securing point. Basically it gets sandwiched in between your pistol grip and the bottom of your receiver.

Has anyone seen one installed on a rifle? I'm wondering if this will work with side or under folders, as well as stability/durability issues. Atlantic Firearms doesn't mention who the manufacturer is, simply that it's U.S made, so I haven't found any other info or links on it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you remove the top cover with that in place?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you remove the top cover with that in place?
View Quote

I don't know. There are no pictures of it installed but from the looks of it, the rail must sit pretty low over the dust cover.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was looking for scope mounts for some of my AK's and noticed Atlantic has a weird option that uses the pistol grip as the securing point. Basically it gets sandwiched in between your pistol grip and the bottom of your receiver.

Has anyone seen one installed on a rifle? I'm wondering if this will work with side or under folders, as well as stability/durability issues. Atlantic Firearms doesn't mention who the manufacturer is, simply that it's U.S made, so I haven't found any other info or links on it.

https://atlantic-firearms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/media/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ak-over-top-cover-optic-mount-1.jpg
View Quote

Interesting and novel.

However, I have a brace on my m85 that secures the same way and it always moves slightly.

The cut outs on that bottom plate that gets sandwiched in between the grip and the receiver probably aren’t precisely machined. So the only thing holding your zero is how much torque you can put to that grip screw.

And the AK grip itself is usually going to be wood, plastic or polymer...all of which will give some the more you try to crank down on the grip screw to lock it in in place.

So I’d have reservations about how secure you can actually make that mount as far as holding any kind of zero.

But it is an interesting approach.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting and novel.

However, I have a brace on my m85 that secures the same way and it always moves slightly.

The cut outs on that bottom plate that gets sandwiched in between the grip and the receiver probably aren’t precisely machined. So the only thing holding your zero is how much torque you can put to that grip screw.

And the AK grip itself is usually going to be wood, plastic or polymer...all of which will give some the more you try to crank down on the grip screw to lock it in in place.

So I’d have reservations about how secure you can actually make that mount as far as holding any kind of zero.

But it is an interesting approach.

View Quote

Well hopefully Atlantic posts some pics up after an email. I'd hate to spend $100~ on something that may not work for a folding stock AK.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen anything like that before. Just from looking at the picture you posted I would say it would interfere with folding both underfolders and left side folders.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That's an interesting mount. I bet if you had any wiggle you could probably throw some shims or something in between where it snugs up to the side of the receiver to make it pretty solid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Well got the email back from Atlantic Firearms. They just simply said they don't have pics of it installed. I'll see if I can pick one up next paycheck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be more worried about lining up so you could site the optic in. Looks like it would be easily knocked out of alignment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Given how much flex the AK pistol grip has even when tightened down, I can't see that actually maintaining a real zero long-term...
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top