AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
I just inherited a mint, unfired Chinese SKS with bayonet.  Gotta hand it to the FIL, he kept this thing pristine.

I have not handled one of these since they were 99 bucks at the gun show back in the early 90s.

I am an AR guy, just trying to learn, and decide if I want to keep this thing or sell it.
View Quote

Keep it!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the old guys at the range the new price for Russian SKS is in the $850.

I tried selling a few very nice Romanian and Russian SKS's earlier this year and could not even get interest in the $500 to $600 range.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Go shoot it.  It's the ultimate refinement of the draftee general-issue rifle before assault rifles.  Coming out of the the 2nd WW, the Soviets had a much better concept of firepower for the infantry than we did and the SKS is the perfect expression of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaska511:  I just inherited a mint, unfired Chinese SKS with bayonet.  Gotta hand it to the FIL, he kept this thing pristine.

I have not handled one of these since they were 99 bucks at the gun show back in the early 90s.

I am an AR guy, just trying to learn, and decide if I want to keep this thing or sell it.

Go shoot it.  It's the ultimate refinement of the draftee general-issue rifle before assault rifles.  Coming out of the the 2nd WW, the Soviets had a much better concept of firepower for the infantry than we did and the SKS is the perfect expression of that.

I am truly surprised by the "quality" of it, as this is the only new one I have ever seen!  I have fired plenty of them over the years, and even a full auto junker at BFV, and have never been impressed.

I might just hang on to her, get her cleaned up and try to locate some decent mags for it.  I am not sure what the deal is there with the mags.

I forgot to mention, it came with a full case of ammo!  I need to check and see the origin of it.  I just got back from Montana with the "haul" from the estate, and need to go through it.

All the other firearms are going to my son, I just have too many, but this one stood out in the crowd so I snatched it.  Even a brand new Springfield Saint Fully Loaded AR (among about 5 other ARs)
When I croak, my kid is going to have a 36 gun safe full of just ARs LOL

He was a cool ol' dude, and we will sorely miss him
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I am truly surprised by the "quality" of it, as this is the only new one I have ever seen!  I have fired plenty of them over the years, and even a full auto junker at BFV, and have never been impressed.

I might just hang on to her, get her cleaned up and try to locate some decent mags for it.  I am not sure what the deal is there with the mags.

I forgot to mention, it came with a full case of ammo!  I need to check and see the origin of it.  I just got back from Montana with the "haul" from the estate, and need to go through it.

All the other firearms are going to my son, I just have too many, but this one stood out in the crowd so I snatched it.  Even a brand new Springfield Saint Fully Loaded AR (among about 5 other ARs)
When I croak, my kid is going to have a 36 gun safe full of just ARs LOL

He was a cool ol' dude, and we will sorely miss him
View Quote

It's one of the last milled/forged steel and wood combat rifles, and was intended to be run off cheap stripper clips from a spam can.  Other than the fixed 10 rounder, no mags needed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]

It's one of the last milled/forged steel and wood combat rifles, and was intended to be run off cheap stripper clips from a spam can.  Other than the fixed 10 rounder, no mags needed.
View Quote

Copy, thank you sir.  Also just discovered its a Russian model, not Chinese.  Not sure if that is a big deal or not.  Has the Star with the arrow and a 1851- on the top
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Copy, thank you sir.  Also just discovered its a Russian model, not Chinese.  Not sure if that is a big deal or not.  Has the Star with the arrow and a 1851- on the top
View Quote

Defiantly a keeper.  They aren't making anymore.  In years to come they will only gain value.  Especially in fixed magazine configuration as they avoid many "bans" that way.

Someday I would love to add a nice Russian one to my collection as all I have are beat up Chinese surplus.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!  I will keep her!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics @alaska511!
Here's a few of mine.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top