BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/15/2012 9:58:15 PM EDT
I know some people like to change the look of the original by modding upper and lower handguards, stocks, grips etc. Im toying around with the idea of doing the same thing but im not sure what i want.

Lets see some pics!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's mine from a thread or two down-

US Palm grip, AMD65tech.com stock and a Tapco handguard. I just painted it tonight too, will post pics a little later.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice guys. Anyone have pictures of one with plain black synthetic 74 style handguards?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]

I like this, what handguards are those?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I like this, what handguards are those?

Hogue

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
my non-traditional amd

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#13]

That is pretty nice. Would look even better with a matching upper HG
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty creative AMD's, makes me want to change mine a little.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]

What make and model are those rails? Can't quite make it out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What make and model are those rails? Can't quite make it out.

Midwest Industries Extended SS Handguards (MI-AK-SS-X)
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]

what kind of rear sight is that? I like that!
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

what kind of rear sight is that? I like that!

Thanks.  It's a peep sight that is optional when you order the TWS dogleg rail.  The rail will take some filing of the inside and the release button to fit the AMD without the bolt carrier getting stuck in battery.  The rear sight, along with the Aimpoint and front sight, makes for a deadly accurate absolute co-witness.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]

How would you ever get that drum to lock in with that front grip  
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]

MindBeyondAverage,

Nice setup.    Tell us about your knife.  Also, is that a MI Universal Front Handguard kit, if so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

MindBeyondAverage,

Nice setup.    Tell us about your knife.  Also, is that a MI Universal Front Handguard kit, if so how do you like it?

Hello, and thank you for the compliment.  I have been working my but off to make this setup as close to what I want and what works the best for me and in the process, have just changed the rifle's configuration.  The quoted pic was taken about a week ago and this one was taken today right after I finished installing the Ultimak rail.  The front kit is actually a cheapo UTG (looks like MI cause I chopped the front off) that I got on an impulse buy to mount my AFG and Surefire.  I say, go another route if you are considering it, but it worked well for the time being.  My brother actually has the MI setup on his and it is really not too different from the UTG.  What I did,  was took off the UTG and installed the original AMD handgaurd to accommodate the Ultimak rail.  For anyone who may be looking into the Ultimak on their AMD, you have to shave the inside lips of the original handgaurd.  I aslo installed the Haley Strategic offset scout mount.  The next step is the lover Ultimak rail so I can have more options on where to place my chosen accessories that I will be using at the time.  I wanted the light to be on top, instead of bottom, but the offset light mount is too bulky to fit agains the Ultimak rail.  The lower Ultimak will remedy this problem, and I will be able to mount it further as to eliminate the barrel shadow.  I have long arms, so I want the AFG mounted further up as well.  I still plan to change the muzzle brake to an AMD65-tech, convert to a fixed stock, and that'll mostly be it for Mortisha.  The KNIFE...  I received it as a gift and it has "CHINA" on it, so it's nothing special.  It is real sharp though and I use it a lot.  A better knife is a little lower on the list.  As far as anything I've missed, I am pretty sure you all can identify damn near everything in the pic but if not, just ask.  Thanks for the interest.

-MBA

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#26]
what's going on with your mag well?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
what's going on with your mag well?

It's a Solar Tactical "funnel".  Regardless how good I got at reloading an AK, this helped even more.  I wouldn't get this unless you first got reloads down without it.  That way if this fails you some how, it won't be much of a loss.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30333

Here, don't make fun of me.  I was running drills with my 2 brothers in my house.  This is how simple it makes reloads.  It actually makes rocking in the mag easier.  Time from "hostels" to discharge of pistol, was 5.7 seconds.  Reload from first discharge of rifle to full battery was 3.2  seconds which is about .4 seconds faster than I could do without the funnel.  Not much but enough.  This thing helps.

Just click it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Double post...
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MindBeyondAverage,

Hello, and thank you for the compliment.  I have been working my but off to make this setup as close to what I want and what works the best for me and in the process, have just changed the rifle's configuration.  The quoted pic was taken about a week ago and this one was taken today right after I finished installing the Ultimak rail.  The front kit is actually a cheapo UTG (looks like MI cause I chopped the front off) that I got on an impulse buy to mount my AFG and Surefire.  I say, go another route if you are considering it, but it worked well for the time being.  My brother actually has the MI setup on his and it is really not too different from the UTG.  What I did,  was took off the UTG and installed the original AMD handgaurd to accommodate the Ultimak rail.  For anyone who may be looking into the Ultimak on their AMD, you have to shave the inside lips of the original handgaurd.  I aslo installed the Haley Strategic offset scout mount.  The next step is the lover Ultimak rail so I can have more options on where to place my chosen accessories that I will be using at the time.  I wanted the light to be on top, instead of bottom, but the offset light mount is too bulky to fit agains the Ultimak rail.  The lower Ultimak will remedy this problem, and I will be able to mount it further as to eliminate the barrel shadow.  I have long arms, so I want the AFG mounted further up as well.  I still plan to change the muzzle brake to an AMD65-tech, convert to a fixed stock, and that'll mostly be it for Mortisha.  The KNIFE...  I received it as a gift and it has "CHINA" on it, so it's nothing special.  It is real sharp though and I use it a lot.  A better knife is a little lower on the list.  As far as anything I've missed, I am pretty sure you all can identify damn near everything in the pic but if not, just ask.  Thanks for the interest.

-MBA

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/Yesagain_zps15cc843e.jpg

Thanks for the details.  A couple more questions:

1) Why did you go with the Ultimak verses the MI Universal  (upper & lower hand-guards) ?
2) How does your brother like the MI and is it the Universal package?
3) Why the future move to a fixed stock?  Are you unhappy with the modified cheek rest?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MindBeyondAverage,

-MBA

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/Yesagain_zps15cc843e.jpg

Thanks for the details.  A couple more questions:

1) Why did you go with the Ultimak verses the MI Universal  (upper & lower hand-guards) ?
2) How does your brother like the MI and is it the Universal package?
3) Why the future move to a fixed stock?  Are you unhappy with the modified cheek rest?

1. The Ultimak allows for me to mount an offset light mount without sight obstruction, the rail bothered me when looking through the red dot, it is slightly heavier and I want to keep weight down as much as possible, I want options for a later time to mount a red dot up front and still have co-witness.
2. Yes it is the Universal handguard.  He loves it, but then again it came on the rifle when he bought it and he is new to firearms so I don't think he really knows what he likes until he gains experience with them.  I can say, he likes the way it looks.  As far as function, he needs to get out and shoot more.
3. I am not unhappy with the cheek riser as much as I am about AMD-65 tech and their crappy shipping time.  For the most part, it is good but it does start to feel uncomfortable after a short time shooting.  I don't have much meat on my face and a skinny bar can hurt a bit.  I am moving toward a fixed stock for 3 reasons.  One, is that I never use the folding feature and do not think I ever will.  Two, is because I want more comfort like my AR15's stock provides on the upper chest and cheek.  Lastly, is that I am a prepper and believe I may have to use it in conflict (which is my drive behind the whole build) wether a natural or man made disaster, or something brought on by a tyrannical government and I do not trust this stock to last.  The bar can be easily bent and I fear it will break off sooner or later from a fall or anything els.  A regular collapsable stock will not only provide more sturdiness, but allow someone around me to adjust the length and use it in the event I am not around to defend the fort, so to speak.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for the comments.  Personally, I am moving towards the Universal by MI.  What kind of collapsible stock are you considering?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for the comments.  Personally, I am moving towards the Universal by MI.  What kind of collapsible stock are you considering?

Magpul CTR, but that could change.  I'm going to drill and tap the rear trunnion and bolt on a pig nose adapter.  I have read nothing but good things about the MI rail.  I'm sure you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#33]
My AMD65 built by Alabama Ordnance. Had a choice of US made bbl's short w/ perm attached extension and muzzle brake or 16' standard bbl that I could put any muzzle device on I wanted. I put a slant brake on for now. It came with all of the standard AMD65 grips, lower handuard, bare gastube, muzzle brake but I wanted a little different look. It is a work in progress. I do have some NOS stuff for it also: leather sling, 20 round mags, mag pouch, complete cleaning kit...I left the nubs on the lower handguard retainer so I could put the original lower handguard back on if I wanted to.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]
These are some nice rifles guys, keep them comin
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope you don't mind OP, but this stuff is only compatible with AMD's.  I will delete this if you'd like.  Thanks.

I will soon be selling my cheek riser and sling loop for the AMD and my brother wants to sell his MI quad rail for his.  Oh, and the old UTG rail I had on mine is up for sale now.  Email me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's my AMD-65 that I picked up before the 2008 run.  I had done nothing to it other than remove the front grip.  Santa Claus brought me a quad rail and a reflex sight, and I'm still waiting for an original style Tapco pistol grip to arrive.  I took a pic out at the range this morning when I was getting the reflex sight dialed in.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/camjr/126range_zps8779ba00.jpg

Cheers!
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool thanks, will look into it!
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I traded the original buttstock because I planned on building a pistol but when I changed my mind, I used this stock instead.
AMD Build
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Got the fixed stock mounted on my AMD.  Also got a handstop for better weapon manipulation since the "thumb over bore" technique would block the front sight.  Excuse the dog torn bathroom pics.  Best lighting in the house, so I had to take the pics in there with my iPhone.

AFG mounted more forward for better control and I have long arms so it wasn't working out further back.  Also had to remove the SR07 since there is no real practical spot to mount it, so I have to stick with the standard pressure pad for now.  The Magpul handstop came with rail cover the have little slots to run the wire, so it is well hidden.  Lastly, the light is mounted far enough forward that the muzzle shadowing is almost completely gone.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got the fixed stock mounted on my AMD.  Also got a handstop for better weapon manipulation since the "thumb over bore" technique would block the front sight.  Excuse the dog torn bathroom pics.  Best lighting in the house, so I had to take the pics in there with my iPhone.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_23722_zpsc1e7a8e4.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2356_zpscac6058e.jpg
AFG mounted more forward for better control and I have long arms so it wasn't working out further back.  Also had to remove the SR07 since there is no real practical spot to mount it, so I have to stick with the standard pressure pad for now.  The Magpul handstop came with rail cover the have little slots to run the wire, so it is well hidden.  Lastly, the light is mounted far enough forward that the muzzle shadowing is almost completely gone.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2358_zps66556e69.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2360_zpsfbc20297.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2361_zpsdca8fc54.jpg

Liking this one alot. What are the specs?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_23722_zpsc1e7a8e4.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2356_zpscac6058e.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2358_zps66556e69.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2360_zpsfbc20297.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/mindbeyondaverage/IMG_2361_zpsdca8fc54.jpg

Thank you.  

Mako Group grip
Solar Tactical magazine funnel
Tapco magazine
Tromix charging handle
TWS Dogleg rail and peep sight
Aimpoint micro T-1 2 MOA
Ultimak top and lower rail
Surefire M600c scout on a Haley Strategic Thorntail mount using the basic pressure pad
Magpul AFG
Magpul rail covers
Magpul handstop
Magpul CTR stock
Clear lime green front sight
AMD 65 Tech recoil buffer
Vortex cr2032 battery holder/rail cover

I think that is about it, so far.  I plan to change the muzzle break to the AMD 65 Tech 3 hole or have one custom made.  Going to upgrade the trigger.  Planning on getting a Krebs enhanced safety and the Magpul AK grip when it is up for sale.  After it is all finished I will be getting a water transfered multicam onto the stock, grips, magazines and maybe rail covers and cerakoting the rifle coyote brown.  This is a very efective and capable system.  This isn't the thing for others but for me, this is the best that this rifle can be.  Every feature on this rifle serves a purpose making it more and more of an extension of myself.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  

Mako Group grip
Tapco magazine
Tromix charging handle
Aimpoint micro T-1 2 MOA
Surefire M600c scout on a Haley Strategic Thorntail mount using the basic pressure pad
Magpul AFG
Magpul rail covers
Magpul handstop
Magpul CTR stock

I think that is about it, so far.  I plan to change the muzzle break to the AMD 65 Tech 3 hole or have one custom made.  Going to upgrade the trigger.  Planning on getting a Krebs enhanced safety and the Magpul AK grip when it is up for sale.  After it is all finished I will be getting a water transfered multicam onto the stock, grips, magazines and maybe rail covers and cerakoting the rifle coyote brown.  This is a very efective and capable system.  This isn't the thing for others but for me, this is the best that this rifle can be.  Every feature on this rifle serves a purpose making it more and more of an extension of myself.  

If you don't mind me asking how did you mount the stock? from the picture it doesnt look like the Krebs block. Just curious how you did that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd like to get the Ace folder for it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
These are 2 I built.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  

Mako Group grip
Tapco magazine
Tromix charging handle
Aimpoint micro T-1 2 MOA
Magpul AFG
Magpul rail covers
Magpul handstop
Magpul CTR stock

If you don't mind me asking how did you mount the stock? from the picture it doesnt look like the Krebs block. Just curious how you did that.

Sorry I took so long.  All you have to do it drill and tap two holes after removing the bar.  Now be careful cause I messed up one of the holes and am now having to find another way to strengthen the integrity of the stock.  One of the holes works fine but I would not trust that one hole in a SHTF situation.  So, just be extra careful.  I was going on 48 hours of no sleep and rushed the job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
WOW there's some TIGHT pictures on here guys I'm definitely liking some of those!
I dunno what it is that drew me to the AMD..... maybe it's the great accuracy for a 12.5 in barrel, maybe it's because it's the "ugly duckling" of the Kalash family.
Here's some pix of my Not so traditional AMD-65.  It's a TGI built on a FEG receiver I believe.  Chrome lined barrel.  It was zeroed when I got it.  There was NOTHING wrong with it when I received it, but after around 200 rounds or so OF COURSE the muzzle brake started to wobble.  I decided to SBR it and it took forever but it's finally legal.
I like to personalize my firearms- as you can see by the pix the artist in me certainly shows lol Some people frown on this but I don't care.  If SHTF a large, black shiny object will be easy to spot Not to mention it's just plain fun.  I did several clear coats  over the Camouflage spray paint and it holds up very well even when the gun gets HOT... I have a Magpul AFG on the way...
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u674/bassdv8rb/114_0257_zps5888ee8e.jpg
THE CHEEK ADAPTER FOR THE AMD STOCK IS A MUST HAVE ITEM FOR THIS GUN TO BE BATTLE READY.  THE DIFFERENCE IS NIGHT AND DAY.
The PISTOL in the pix is my Ruger P-89 it has fired THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of rounds without ONE MALFUNCTION.  It's the most trustworthy pistol I've ever had.  I would and HAVE trusted my life with it.
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u674/bassdv8rb/114_0258_zpsaf9fdb75.jpg
The mounting system I have the BUSHNELL TRS-25 mounted on is neat it replaces the dustcover and keeps a zero very well.
CO-WITNESSING IS POSSIBLE BUT NOT THROUGH THE RED DOT.  I CAN USE ONE OR THE OTHER WHICH WORKS WELL ANYWAYS...
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u674/bassdv8rb/114_0259_zps0ae94a2f.jpg
I was actually able to install this Handguard by MISSION FIRST TACTICAL very easily and there were only a few modifications I made with a razor on the part that held onto the front trunnion.  The top handguard went RIGHT OVER THE GAS SYSTEM!!!  This is very important news for us AMD lovers-  not many handguards fit our rifle like this RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX....
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u674/bassdv8rb/114_0260_zps8344f4cb.jpg
I LOVE this Kalash and it's my favorite by far. Put a SINGLE POINT SLING on it you have one BEAST of an Urban or semi-CQB weapon.  Alot of people love ARs and I do as well, but something about the design's simplicity makes me love it.  When you are in a shootout situation, alot CAN AND DOES go wrong.  I can take this thing apart and put it back together again in total darkness or whatever with EASE.  It reminds me of a TOOL and that's what it is- a TOOL that throws lead and throwing lead is DEFINITELY its specialty! No sick days for this bad ass workhorse!  This thing has yet to let me down it's been to a couple classes and so far so good!  I love how lightweight it is and it's accuracy surprises you. 7.62x39 isn't a SNIPER round but I can easily put a round in a man's chest COMFORTABLY at 100-150 yds and I haven't tried yet, but I bet I can reach out and touch at around 300.  I just haven't pushed it but I need to.  I know that the 12.5 in barrel isn't THAT accurate but as far as BATTLE ACCURACY it DEFINITELY has it and what it lacks in range it definitely makes up for in size/weight/conceal-ability. If you are able to I highly recommend SBRing these because it makes a HELLUVA difference and makes it that much cooler IMO.
OH and I see alot of people using Tennis Racket bags to carry their AMDS-- well I picked this one up for like $30 and it's GREAT.  Enough padding to protect sights, holds spare magazines, targets, etc. on a divider flap.  I think it was made for pump shotguns but it is PERFECT for my AMD.  I got it when the barrel was still 16 in so YES it will fit your rifle.  It's made by BULLDOG.
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u674/bassdv8rb/114_0262_zpsa7e4b15c.jpg
Please tell me if you have any recommendations for a muzzle brake.  Sorry for the novel I'm just very passionate.  THANKS GUYS!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#48]
moved the post, please delete this one...
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#49]
AMD with newly installed Attero Arms Rail Base & Burris FastFire II Sight with Side-Protector Picatinny Mount :

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/037_zpsbc3788e9.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/041_zps39a3f88d.jpg

-
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#50]
short range report for my modded AMD65:

Fired 5rd groups at 25m for BZO with my bushnell, grouped well, and adjustments were solid.  After I established zero, I moved over to hit some steel.  At 200m, both from a sandbag and standing unsupported, I was able to make solid, repeatable hits on a 18in steel hanging plate.  The bushnell was clear and bright with a good view of the target at distance on lower settings.  The rifle DEFINITELY handles/points/behaves better with the stock adaptor from AMD65TECH.  Thanks very much to Gio and Val for a great product!  The MI extended rail facilitates a modern hold very well, and of course the magpul stuff does what its supposed to.  The Northern gun Parts flash hider looks great, and presents a very unique profile for the weapon, but to be honest, it did not "eliminate" all visible flash.  Honestly, I don't think its fair to think it would/should do that, and it did lessen the felt effects versus what used to happen during a firing cycle with the stock muzzle brake.  The "report" from my rifle was at least as loud as another shooter on the line who was making us all look bad with a tricked out Larue OBR7.62.  I may consider going another route on the flash hider at a later date.  Keep it up everyone with the mods and pics, lets hear how they do on the firing line!  Once I figure out how, I will get some vids up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top