Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 5:54:12 PM EDT
Buddie just bought a amd 63 (I think) with a NDS-3 TGI   sn M0004xx reciever.  I remember some of these having issues.  Heat treating?  or something.  Were they all bad.  Gun is sexy with the wood stock and amd matching PG front and back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of them have corrosive salts trapped behing rails and in center supports, and can rust because of it.  Thoroughly and liberally rinse with hot water followed by copious amounts of fogging oil,amd you wont have a problem
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Sort of harder when they're already built. Check the rails and center support for any brown seepage. If you don't see anything then it shouldn't be an issue.

Some people have had the center support rot out. Don't know how common that is but if the center support rivet is loose, you know why.

I have one of the affected NDS-2 receivers and after removing the rust I boiled it in hot water before building, then drenched it in penetrating fluid. Have never had any rust issues come up since. It did piss me off because I completed the transfer and put the receiver in its wrapping into a ziploc bag where it sat in my garage for over a year. When I finally took it out again I discovered the minor rust beginning near the rails.

This issue and Harlan's response pretty much did in NDS IMO. Instead of offering any refunds or anything he sent out some rust converter spray and claimed that people should have just known that the receiver needed to be cleaned upon receipt.

It's still a good quality receiver otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd stay away from NDS. I have two of Harlan's rusting queens that came out this year (two of the new M70ab2's century re-put out)... both weeping rust from the center support rivet and the rails. There are MUCH better receiver companies out there that do it properly, no need to pay Harlan for rust buckets. Recreator and Childers all day long.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
No rusting issues with my Vector Arms NODAK.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#5]
NODAK receivers are rock solid. Clean up the rust as mentioned above. I removed my rant.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top