Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2021 9:29:12 PM EDT
I have a chance to hop into the AK-47 game with a basically new (250 rounds through it) Arsenal 107R with upgraded ALG trigger, brake, Ultimax rail, and plum furniture.

What I’m really unsure about is whether the price tag for these are worth it now.

It’s a fixed stock, instead of the folding version.

For all you AK gurus out there...$1400 for the Arsenal, or wait on something like a Zastava or Gen 4 PSA CHF MOEKOV for cheaper???
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The 107R has had QC issues here and there from warped receivers to canted barrel components among other things. I would not pay that price without someone experienced with AKs having looked it over.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 107R has had QC issues here and there from warped receivers to canted barrel components among other things. I would not pay that price without someone experienced with AKs having looked it over.
View Quote

Interesting, hadn’t heard that!  Thanks for the info.

It’s from an FFL buddy, so I would think it doesn’t have any of those issues.  He said he was ringing steel out to 200 yds without issue while he was breaking in the new ALG trigger.

If it doesn’t have those issues, is it worth the extra cost over a Zastava or PSA?  I know my opinion when it comes to ARs, just don’t know when it comes to AKs...
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If its in spec than yes it is worth it.  When Arsenal gets it right they are in the top 5 with factory Galil and Valmet (tie) Russian, factory Hungarian and factory Chinese guns in my opinion (and yes I have personal experience with all that I have listed).
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If its in spec than yes it is worth it.  When Arsenal gets it right they are in the top 5 with factory Galil and Valmet (tie) Russian, factory Hungarian and factory Chinese guns in my opinion (and yes I have personal experience with all that I have listed).
View Quote

Would it be easy to tell if the receiver and barrel are out of spec?  Would he be able to shoot it without issues, and would the gunsmith that put in the ALG trigger have noticed?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would it be easy to tell if the receiver and barrel are out of spec?  Would he be able to shoot it without issues, and would the gunsmith that put in the ALG trigger have noticed?
View Quote

hobby smith, gun smith, bubba. none of these would of noticed unless they are builders , theirs probably a 1 in 10 chance something is wrong with the 107R your thinking about buying, if its a local deal, you should be able to talk him down a couple hundred. Just because something is going for XXXX amount on gunbroker doesn't me its a true reflection of the price. You have gunbroker fees and shipping to deal with. and shill bidders and people who don't buy the item after even winning it

WASR 10's from 2016+ are better quality control than those 107Rs, and that's saying something. in non political stressful times the 107R is a $850 firearm , it was was supposed to come in at $150 over wasr.

I digress as they keep printing money at .gov so maybe $850 back a year ago is really already $1000 today
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't spend $1400 on a 107R, too many issues reported on them. I would get a Zastava, plus they can be had for less. The 7.62x39 PSA AK's are actually pretty solid now since Gen 3, you could get one of their 103 folders for less than $1400.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
120 rounds through it, bought this fall.

Are they still actively having issues with warped receivers?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't spend $1400 on a 107R, too many issues reported on them. I would get a Zastava, plus they can be had for less. The 7.62x39 PSA AK's are actually pretty solid now since Gen 3, you could get one of their 103 folders for less than $1400.
View Quote

Good to know!  I’m surprised, outside of here the guys I know all swear by Arsenal.  Sounds like they’ve had a bunch of issues.

If I want to take a chance on it, is it something that will hold its value?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want one to use, don't be afraid to pick up one from PSA. They're making good AK's. I have several Aresenals and now two PSA's that have become go-to's.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want one to use, don't be afraid to pick up one from PSA. They're making good AK's. I have several Aresenals and now two PSA's that have become go-to's.
View Quote

Thanks man!  I have a couple out of stock alerts for PSA.  I feel like, given the climate and potential for an import ban, I should snatch this Arsenal.

You have any issues with your Arsenals?

Was it just the 107s that had issues?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I’d rather cough up $400 more for a new SAM7SF.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’d rather cough up $400 more for a new SAM7SF.
View Quote

If I was an AK fanatic with lots of 7.62 ammo, I might think about it right now.  At this point, I can’t really think about paying $1800+ for a stock rifle.  I have some other things I need money for, also.

I want a solid, trustworthy AK that will hold its value.  I don’t need a $1800+ SAM7SF or Meridian.  Not that I wouldn’t like one, I would just prefer to have that extra $400+ for ammo, an optic, or maybe a suppressor.

If an Arsenal 107R is really that problematic and not worth it, then maybe I should just wait for a Gen 4 or Gen 5 PSA AK to come back in stock...
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
120 rounds through it, bought this fall.

Are they still actively having issues with warped receivers?
View Quote

I would just buy a PSA with a warranty . Too bad your not going to be living in a 2nd amendment sanctuary state . Maybe plan moving soon . You’ll buy the damn thing and become a felon overnight .
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would just buy a PSA with a warranty . Too bad your not going to be living in a 2nd amendment sanctuary state . Maybe plan moving soon . You’ll buy the damn thing and become a felon overnight .
View Quote

I do worry about that...funny, we actually talk about moving a lot, lately.  Utah, Texas, Tennessee...Arizona come up, but that place is worrying me after the last election.

Stupid question alert...does this scratch on the barrel bother anyone else?  Should that affect the price/re-sale?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do worry about that...funny, we actually talk about moving a lot, lately.  Utah, Texas, Tennessee...Arizona come up, but that place is worrying me after the last election.

Stupid question alert...does this scratch on the barrel bother anyone else?  Should that affect the price/re-sale?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/431577/BDB83C35-F918-490D-98D5-9EEF733DDE93_jpe-1815009.JPG
View Quote

It looks like the previous owner scratched it with the handguard retainer. It can get cocked and scratch the barrel like that if it's pushed fully forward while removing the handguard.

Touch it up with some paint and done. Light spray of Duplicolor DE1634  very similar to the Arsenal paint. Or just leave it alone..I wouldn't give a shit about a scratch like that on a used AK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It looks like the previous owner scratched it with the handguard retainer. It can get cocked and scratch the barrel like that if it's pushed fully forward while removing the handguard.

Touch it up with some paint and done. Light spray of Duplicolor DE1634  very similar to the Arsenal paint.
View Quote

thank you, sir
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good to know!  I’m surprised, outside of here the guys I know all swear by Arsenal.  Sounds like they’ve had a bunch of issues.

If I want to take a chance on it, is it something that will hold its value?
View Quote

Arsenal generally is very good. I have multiple Arsenal rifles, both Bulgarian and Russian (before FIME existed) and they are all solid, no issues at all. However, the 107R has shown a decline in QC as evidenced by the multiple issues reported on the forums. If it's a good example of a 107R then it will likely hold value, I personally think all imports will.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the input!

I ended up going to take a look and handle it, but didn’t grab it.

It was pretty sweet, and having an imported AK would be awesome, but it was finicky fitting different mags and I think I’ve decided I want a KUSA KP9 pistol, so I’m saving the money for that.  Also, I have two more suppressors I want to grab here soon, and I’d like to stay married, LOL!

I’m probably going to plan to grab either a KUSA AK 103, PSA Gen 5 AK 47, or PSA AK 103.  Seems like they (at least the Gen 3 PSA) have faired great in AKOU gauntlets.

I’m actually kind of digging the idea of a VZ.58, if they are even available to get anymore?!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m actually kind of digging the idea of a VZ.58, if they are even available to get anymore?!
View Quote

Yes, Czech Point gets a trickle of rifles, they sell out very fast.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, Czech Point gets a trickle of rifles, they sell out very fast.
View Quote

Sweet, I’ll keep an eye out!

Edit: Just added a couple back in stock alerts for the 7.62 tactical and tactical CQB!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top