Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2020 9:57:15 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am looking to get my first AK (and 762x39) pistol. Was looking at the PWS MK111 762x39 upper for my AR15 SBR lower but I now that I have read this forum and I want a WPB Mini Jack or Lynx or Arsenal SAM7K-44.

My questions are:

1) What KNS adjustable piston do I need for these models? I am waiting for KNS to respond to voice mail but I thought I would ask here.
2) Can I use this SB Tactical buffer tube folding adapter easily or do I need other parts/tools/gunsmith to install? I am going to use a standard carbine buffer tube and SBA3.
3) I have a Sandman S and would like to use that but the barrel is threaded 14x1 left. Is there a way to rethread the barrel to 5/8x24? Or will it require cutting the barrel even shorter? From the pics on AA, it doesn't look like there's enough barrel left to do this because of the front sigh post. Or do I need to get the DA Wolverine?
4) I noticed the WPB Mini Jack or Lynx has a welded thread protector. I don't have the tools to remove so I will ask AA if they can and pay the labor cost.

Do you recommend getting a rifle then SBRing it? I prefer pistol setups but if it's easier to SBR I might go that route.

Thanks for your help! So excited my first AK.

Best,
FG
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I am looking to get my first AK (and 762x39) pistol. Was looking at the PWS MK111 762x39 upper for my AR15 SBR lower but I now that I have read this forum and I want a WPB Mini Jack or Lynx or Arsenal SAM7K-44.

My questions are:

1) What KNS adjustable piston do I need for these models? I am waiting for KNS to respond to voice mail but I thought I would ask here.
2) Can I use this SB Tactical buffer tube folding adapter easily or do I need other parts/tools/gunsmith to install? I am going to use a standard carbine buffer tube and SBA3.
3) I have a Sandman S and would like to use that but the barrel is threaded 14x1 left. Is there a way to rethread the barrel to 5/8x24? Or will it require cutting the barrel even shorter? From the pics on AA, it doesn't look like there's enough barrel left to do this because of the front sigh post. Or do I need to get the DA Wolverine?
4) I noticed the WPB Mini Jack or Lynx has a welded thread protector. I don't have the tools to remove so I will ask AA if they can and pay the labor cost.

Do you recommend getting a rifle then SBRing it? I prefer pistol setups but if it's easier to SBR I might go that route.

Thanks for your help! So excited my first AK.

Best,
FG
View Quote
I'm no expert on AKs, but here goes:

1: Sorry, no idea.
2: You'll also need something like this adapter to attach the folder to your AK.
3: Your best bet is to use a thread adapter like this. Check the concentricity of your muzzle threads, though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
So for KNS, you'll probably get their canned response "take the piston out of your gun and measure it".  Which, I can see why.  I have a SAM7k.  I went through the same thing you did, trying to figure out which piston to get.  Didn't want to go drilling on the serialized bolt carrier.  I got on the phone with k-var and ordered up a spare bolt carrier.  The one I got does fit and runs fine, but it is noticeably different than my original one.  The exact KNS model I got after measuring the piston that came off that spare carrier was AGP-A-3.

14mm threads are smaller diameter than 5/8-24.  There's not enough metal there.  Even if you did have a long enough barrel that you could afford to chop off your existing 14mm threads, most AK barrels still are not fat enough for 5/8-24 threads.  The gas block journal is a pretty standard size.  If your barrel was fat enough for 5/8-24 threads, it would be too fat to fit through the gas block.

What you may consider is running a griffin 14mm taper mount flash hider.  Its designed to work with their suppressors and things.  But they have come out with some products called "plan a" which let you mount different brand suppressors onto their muzzle devices.  They do support some of the dead air suppressors.  Maybe worth checking in their vendor subforum here to get more info.

These are the 2 products I'm thinking would get your suppresson mounted on 14mm threads.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/plan-a-taper-mount-adapter-for-omega-nomad-other-1-375x24-threaded-suppressors/
https://www.griffinarmament.com/taper-mount-minimalist-stealth-flash-suppressor/
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a M92 I did everything you’re describing to and it turned out great. I’d STRONGLY suggest having your barrel re-threaded unless you can verify it’s 100% concentric. Morgan @ Class3Machining did mine (EastTXHunter here if I remember right) and it turned out great. He also bored out a 5.56 flash hider to .30 cal for me since the barrel had to be threaded 1/2x28
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
KNS-A-7 for the Draco
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top