Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2019 11:51:51 PM EDT
Hello don’t know much about sks. I just had the opportunity to pick one up for $175.  I was wondering what someone could tell me about it mainly what magazine would work with little to no fitting.  I can tell you from the markings it is a Chinese Norinco.  It did not come with a box magazine and how difficult it would be to take off the scope mount so I could shoot it with iron sights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am working on posting images
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Best is the factory magazine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
factory box mag using stripper clips to load works best.  Also, look up video on how to disassemble and clean bolt; the SKS is prone to slamfire if any cosmoline or crap is left inside the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You got one heck of a deal, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested in seeing what you got, and the fixed box mag is the best someone here probably has a spare lying around.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
eBay will probably have some of the original fixed box magazines. That’s what you want.
If the scope mount is integrated to the dust cover it is aftermarket and I would ditch that and look for an original one also.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
You need another top cover as well, the scope mount is attached to it. Takes one minute to swap out.
Back to mags, use only the factory 10 rounder for flawless function. Even the cloned star 2o's can be problematic.
Learn to use stripper clips, to speed up reloading if that is your thing. The SKS is made for it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah im having trouble uploading the pics I took on my iPhone when I click the picture icon it bring up a box asking for a url. I was just looking to upload them from my pics on the phone itself if anyone wants to steer me in the right direction I’d love to upload the pics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I agree with the top cover I YouTubed how to take the thing apart and clean it which I did right when I got it to make sure the thing wasn’t rusting on the inside.  Overall the inside looked brand new mot even broken in yet. There was some rust on the outside that I’m working on getting rid of with gun oil and some scrubbing because it wasn’t stored properly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I agree with the top cover I YouTubed how to take the thing apart and clean it which I did right when I got it to make sure the thing wasn’t rusting on the inside.  Overall the inside looked brand new mot even broken in yet. There was some rust on the outside that I’m working on getting rid of with gun oil and some scrubbing because it wasn’t stored properly.
View Quote
As long as the chamber's good you're probably golden. As far as the mag and top cover, you might look at trading them to someone for the factory ones. There are loads of mall ninjas out there who can't wait to "upgrade" their SKSs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs pics
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
After you click “reply”

Instead of clicking the picture icon , scroll down to the box that says “select file”
Select your image . Then hit the box next to it that says “upload”.
Then post .

If you still have trouble, send me an IM and I’ll help.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After you click “reply”

Instead of clicking the picture icon , scroll down to the box that says “select file”
Select your image . Then hit the box next to it that says “upload”.
Then post .

If you still have trouble, send me an IM and I’ll help.
View Quote
He's not a team member.  He's going to need to host his pics on imgur or photobucket or whatever before he can post them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't mean to be the oddball here, but I've had very good luck with the tapco 20 round duck-bill mags. Never a jam or misfire, ever. Still have the original 10 round mag though.

A good SKS is hard to beat, and you got a great deal at $175. Had a guy at a pawn shop tell me they never pay or allow more than $200 on any SKS, but they resell them for up to $450+
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Same, I picked up a Chinese in a Monte Carlo stock with a broken Tapco mag at a yard sale for $40.

Picked up a new Tapco 20 and a 10 round John Madden mag. The Tapco ran fine, the JM was junk.

I put the Tapco follower in the JM, that helped but still not 100%.

I still bought an unissued factory 10 round mag, if you like running stripper clips like I do that loads smoother than modifying a Tapco.

Shooting from a tabletop it’s easier to load strippers from the top than changing a duckbill mag.

Easy to swap between the two so it’s still nice to have a hi cap option.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same, I picked up a Chinese in a Monte Carlo stock with a broken Tapco mag at a yard sale for $40.

Picked up a new Tapco 20 and a 10 round John Madden mag. The Tapco ran fine, the JM was junk.

I put the Tapco follower in the JM, that helped but still not 100%.

I still bought an unissued factory 10 round mag, if you like running stripper clips like I do that loads smoother than modifying a Tapco.

Shooting from a tabletop it’s easier to load strippers from the top than changing a duckbill mag.

Easy to swap between the two so it’s still nice to have a hi cap option.
View Quote
If that Monte Carlo stock is the one from an "M" or MC5D with the steel mag liner it is worth bux to someone who needs one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Did the top cover resolve the issue?
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top