Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2021 5:10:17 PM EDT

Just picked up a Zastava ZPAP M70 with the side-folding stock and red wood handguards. This is one nice rifle. Very pleased with this purchase but I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get help with:

1 - The Siberian Red wood handguards are beautiful. I plan to use this rifle as my primary go-to / truck / SHTF rifle so it will get used / practiced with regularly. That being said, I want to keep these handguards nice. What should I use on them?

2 - The side folder, when extended, has a bit of play. It’s not real bad but it will probably bother my OCD after a while. Something as simple as a thin rubber washer between the metal flats would probably resolve the issue but that’s hardly a “tier-one” solution. Is there an adjustment or other solution for this?

3- I’d prefer the pistol grip be black rather than red. Is there a source for this? The non-side folding M70 with the metal stock looks to have a black grip identical to my red one but I have no idea where they come from. Mine has TD on the side.

These are kinda minor issues in the grand scheme of things. This really is a nice rifle. I’m excited to get to the range and get some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnidelyWhiplash] [#1]
For the benefit of anyone who might have the same issue in the future: The folding stock, when in the folded position, has two screws visible holding the stock onto the rear of the rifle’s receiver. I removed those screws and the folding stock came off of the rifle to reveal the screw heads of very two small adjustable screws that increase tension when the stock is in the folded position. Turned those adjustment screws about a 1/4 turn each and now my stock is rock-solid in the open position.

I could still use suggestions about the pistol grip and wood treatment / preservative. I’ve seen suggestions about using boiled linseed oil but I’ve also seen users who believed that caused a yellowish tint to the wood. I really like the red color of my handguards and would hate to use anything that would change the color.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's going to be your "go-to/truck/SHTF rifle that will get used/practiced with regularly" then those hand guards will get wear, dinks, damage, etc on them.

Mine already has multiple dinks and dents in it from reloading dry fire practice. It is what it is. If you want them to look nice then don't shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#3]
coat of tung oil, give it a day and then give it another coat

Magpul makes AK grips, pick the one you like
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions.

I found that the pistol grips grips are made by Tango Down. Found a black one in stock at several places. Also saw a suggestion for a product called Renaissance Wax used by many museums for firearms preservation. Supposed to be great for wood and metal.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I found a few coats of spar varnish spray from home depot works well on wood rifle furniture. It makes a very good clear coat to protect the wood and finish underneath.

Spar varnish is designed for use on boats, so it is very durable, salt proof, waterproof, and UV resistant.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on the finish, if any, on the wood. If it has a hard finish, like varnish, nothing is going to penetrate that to nourish the wood. If it's a stained finish with no hard coating, then you can treat/preserve the wood. For both cases, and for the best cleaning, lubrication and preserving for your AK, just use Ballistol all over, inside and out.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top