Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2020 10:30:23 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm in France and I want to buy a new rifle. We don't have many choice but the few brands available are reputable and I would like to have your opinions on these AKs :

- Izhmash mk 103 : Russian authenticity but there is a folding stock safety to prevent shooting when the stock is folded. Not so many informations about the technical specifications (like is there any step chamber? ) , and they are very difficult to contact (I've tried on facebook and mail but no answer).

- Wbp jack (referenced as Fox in the US) : Polish AK, the reputation seems to be good, but they confirmed me the trunnion is machined from a steel block. Not perfect but better than casted...

- Zastava m05 e3 : Yugo, military tier ak, but it is too modern-looking, and the parts compatibility is limited...

- Arsenal Sar (known as Sam in the US) : very rare in France because the importation is frozen, but I heard about a new batch coming in mid 2021...
I already have a LMG, and I'm looking for a lighter rifle , so milled receiver is not my first choice...

What do you think?

Thanks.
(sorry for my English)

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you get the Galil Ace in France?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
No, unfortunately, the only Iwi rifle available here is the Tavor but it is very overpriced...
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I’d go Izhmash.

Disabling any kind of “fold safety” should be pretty easy — it’s an AK.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Is a machined trunnion really weaker than a forged one?
I can't find any case of a damaged machined trunnion on the net...
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy the russian gun and enjoy it.  The ones we have here can shoot folded (I have an AKS-74 type made at the Izhmash factory) so there is no way that is a permanent modification.   However, I am curious when you say that your AK availability was limited.  There is another thread posted on here by a guy in france and he actually posted a link to a catalogue the AKs they had were extremely varied and impressive unless that has changed recently due to politiacal / civil issues like we have in this country now.  Seriously, go with the russian gun you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link from the thread I mentioned:

https://www.zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/42/m941.jpg

Is this stuff not actually available?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Arsenal (Bulgarian) AK's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Russian model either.

Shooting any of them with the stock folded is just to make noise in my opinion. The folding stock helps a lot if you are getting in and out of vehicles with your weapon and maybe when you're carrying it. They actually have no value when you actually want to use the rifle. Being in France I doubt they will let you drive around with an AK-47 on your front seat.

Buy the rifle that has the ability to mount a red dot sight. AK iron sights are hideous.

1. Bulgarian
2. Russian
3. Polish
4. Yugoslavia

That would be my preference.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a link from the thread I mentioned:

https://www.zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/42/m941.jpg

Is this stuff not actually available?
View Quote

Hello, thank you very much for all your answers.

Currently no more stock available for Izhmash, but yes we have two brands on the market: WBP, which are Poland ak (with a machined journal unfortunately), and Izhmash, imported directly from Russia. Sadly all Izzy have the stepped chamber...

I have heard of another Arsenal resupply but the delay is very uncertain at this point.

I would go with Izhmash, when the mk 103 is restocked.

Thank you a lot
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense, as I said we have the same thing in this country.  And I just looked at the link and if you can swing it, get the Saiga TB-3 (I think thats what it says - my eyes are not what they used to be) -  basically the civilian version of the AK-12, the most recent version of the AK being made - look lower left corner!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Hello everybody. I am a french sport shooter too. I shoot (among others) a zastava m92 military issue 2013 riffle and Saiga 9k( Vitiaz) equivalent of your AKV 9mm. The Ak brands availble in France and generaly in Europe are:
Russian Izhmash production.
Bulgarian Arsenal, but much less now.
Bulgarian ISF
Chinese SDM
Chinese Norinco
Serbian Zastava on stand by.
Polish pioneer and Jack (radom)
Romanian WASR 63/64
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]
WASR10 for value. WBP has issue with soft metal.

Watch the AK Operators union reviews videos on youtube. He does a pretty good torture test.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Update :

I got a quote for a cugir, but I find the transporter bolt carrier weird, like it's cast rather than forged, same for the trunnion, see for yourself: The price is however very interesting ... What do you think ?

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Are there serial numbers on everything?  Do they match?

I would still tell you to lay hands on a russian gun before buying one of those, especially if you intend to keep in long term.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, all serial numbers are matching.

But the bolt carrier appears to be cast (you can see some imperfections / texture in the sand, right?)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top